PDA

View Full Version : 'I love you. Thank you. Be safe'

thedrifter
12-21-07, 07:05 AM
'I love you. Thank you. Be safe'
(Tear-jerker Salute To The Troops Alert)

Posted: December 21, 2007
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Melanie Morgan

Iraq is a different place from the country I visited in 2005. Even the landscape is different, as American contractors and our troops build new infrastructure. The things that remain the same are the dedication, skill and determination of our troops. They have known all along that the United States would win the battle over Islamic terrorism in Iraq and the overall war on terror.

I, too, have known with unwavering conviction and confidence that the United States Armed Forces, comprised of the strongest, smartest, bravest and most technologically advanced troops in the world, would never succumb to a group of blood-lusting thugs driven by a perverted and radicalized version of Islam. Anybody who looks beyond the liberal media knows the truth. I see it again with my own eyes.

My mission in Iraq is not only to spend time with our troops, but to deliver about 200,000 Christmas and Hanukkah cards Move America Forward collected during a tour across the United States. Thousands upon thousands of children, churchgoers, retirees, those with disabilities and every other type of patriot made cards to show they love our troops.

Traveling with me are three MAF staffers who are also freelance journalists. Most notable among them is Debbie Lee, a Gold Star mother whose son, Marc Alan Lee, was the first Navy seal to give his life in Iraq. We are here to report the truth in words and pictures.

For some reason, the success American troops are achieving in Iraq has led Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and the rest of the white-flag brigade to be embarrassed by the simple fact that their assessments and downright lies about Iraq have caused misguided dissent in our country.

Fortunately, there remains a dedicated silent majority in this nation that wants no part in the efforts of Pelosi & Reid to turn public support against our troop.

Before traveling to Iraq this week, Move America Forward spent three weeks traveling from coast-to-coast across our great nation, holding pro-troop events in 40 cities as part of our "Honoring Our Heroes at the Holidays" national tour. As we traveled across the country, all of us were profoundly moved by how deep the American people believe in the troops and their missions. The media and our twisted-thinking politicians have not fooled America.

Children made cards that said, "I love you. Thank you for killing the bad guys and protecting the good guys." "You are heroes." "I hope you don't win too soon so I can join the Army and fight with you."

Adults at our tour stops sang and prayed and laughed together. Let there be no doubt about it: America cannot be defeated by any enemy as long as we stand soul-to-soul with the determination and backbone we see in our troops.

Everyday Americans, true patriots to the core, came out in the sleet, wind, rain (and yes, sometimes under bright blue skies and warm rays of sunshine) to raise the flag of the United States and bring real support for our troops, the kind that keeps them rolling when they miss their families and have to face another day of fighting a cowardly but lethal enemy.

Our last stop before Iraq was at Liberty Park at the World Trade Center grounds, or, as I like to call it, Ground Hero, because it inspires the men and women on the frontlines of the war against radical Muslim jihadists. Standing across from the void that used to be the World Trade Center is the simplest way to learn the truth of this war.

Freezing rain stung our faces as we prayed for the victims and our heroes. A steady stream of New Yorkers stopped by with cards for our troops. One New York police officer stepped out of his patrol car and carried a card to us.

"This is from us guys at the local precinct," he said. "We want to thank the troops for fighting against the animals that did this to us."

He nodded toward Ground Hero.

"We lost some that day," the officer said. "Tell them not to give up. And thanks."

The officer then went back to work, patrolling the area around the footprint of the fallen trade towers.

His was a simple act of gratitude from a precinct of heroes to America's warriors. The smallest gestures mean the world to a soldier in faraway lands protecting our freedoms. I know. I see it in their eyes when they read a child's homemade card that simply says, "I love you. Thank you. Be safe."

Ellie