PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Union driver parks his bus, joins Marines in Africa

thedrifter
12-21-07, 04:55 AM
Tempe Union driver parks his bus, joins Marines in Africa

Georgann Yara
Special for The Republic
Dec. 20, 2007 11:22 AM

One week before Tempe Union High School District bus driver and Marine Corps Reserves member Jose Jarvis popped the question to his wife, Christy, he told her that he did not want to get serious because he could be deployed anytime.

Two-and-a-half years later, the call finally came. Next month, Jose will be sent to training for his upcoming yearlong duty in Africa, where he will be part of security forces.

"She was the first thing that went through my mind when they called my name. Now I have to go home and tell Christy I have to leave, with no details," Jose recalled.

Last week, Jose parked his bus for the last time at the district bus yard. For five years Tempe Union was not only his place of employment, it was also where he met Christy, a fellow driver at the time.

Jose said a longtime passion to serve his country and the strong, tough image of the Marines inspired him to join the reserves. He returned home from boot camp two weeks before 9-11. At the time, Jose said he was prepared and more willing than ever to fight for his country.

But dating, let alone falling in love, was not part of that plan. Jose was in the process of applying to police departments in Phoenix and Tempe when he was called up to go overseas, and the couple's plan to adopt has been put on hold.

"I'm proud to serve and I'm looking forward to it, but I was saddened, too. I was more gung ho when I was single. It's a little bit different after I got married," he said.

Christy said she is trying to keep her mixed emotions at bay while she makes the most of every moment with her husband as his days in this country dwindle.

"It's hard knowing he's going to be gone for a year. He signed up because he wanted to serve so I'm happy for him because he's living his dream," she said. "I'm the kind of person who likes to ignore something like that until it comes."

The couple is getting support from family, friends and their church. The district transportation department has also rallied around them.

"Oh, you're going to get me all emotional now," Jose said with his voice cracking, when asked about leaving Tempe Union. "It's like a family over here. I'm going to miss them."

Jose is packing his personal survival kit, based on advice from peers who have served overseas before.

"The hardest part is knowing Christy is going to be worrying. It's frustrating because my family's got to be on hold. But I'm not the first one who's had to sacrifice; many have done it for me so I'm proud to do it for others," Jose said.

Ellie