PDA

View Full Version : Families gather at Earle to welcome crew of supply ship home

thedrifter
12-20-07, 08:28 AM
Families gather at Earle to welcome crew of supply ship home

By Michelle Gladden

EARLE — Two-year-old Bella's eyes opened wide with excitement and a broad smile filled her face as she first spotted her father, Lt. Commander Michael Benedetto, standing in uniform aboard the USNS Supply this morning.

Back from a 5 1/2-month deployment that took he and a crew of more than 150 merchant marines to the Middle East and Africa, Benedetto, 35, of Red Bank, stood on deck waving to Bella and his wife Julie, 40, as the 754-foot ship pulled into the
Naval Weapons Station Earle Pier Complex in the Lincroft section of Middletown.

Just in time for the holidays, the ship's return marks the end of its second deployment in support of Global War on Terrorism, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, said base spokesman Patrick Fisher.

"We provided direct support to the Enterprise," said Capt. David Gommo of Sandy Hook, Conn., the ship's master.

The ship's crew also included close to 30 military personnel.

"I'm so happy that my brother and nephew are coming home," said Gail Rhames, who set off at 4 a.m this morning to meet the ship's estimated 11 a.m. arrival.

But perhaps the furthest traveler was Sandy Grehan who drove from Chicago with her mother Irene Sayger to meet her daughter Alexis Delgado, 23, an E3 seaman.

"I asked her what she wanted to do for the holidays, maybe go skiing, but she said all she wanted to do was veg out," Grehan said.

Ellie