PDA

View Full Version : Amazing How They Figure This Out

ladileathrnek
04-09-03, 10:23 AM
New Products Aim to Save Lives on the Battlefield

Wednesday, April 09, 2003

By Amy C. Sims

NEW YORK — Bleeding to death has been the number one cause of death among injured soldiers on the battlefield since the Civil War, but medical researchers are now utilizing everything from shrimp shells to volcanic matter to clot wounds and save lives.

Several new products can halt hemorrhaging in mere seconds and are simple to use -- qualities that the traditional bulky bandage and tourniquet combo lacks.

"When someone gets wounded, the battle doesn't stop, it rages on," said Bart Gullong, a partner in Z-Medica, a Newington, Conn.,-based company that manufactures the blood clotting product QuikClot. "People around the warrior may be pinned down and unable to get to them."

Once wounded soldiers are removed from the field, modern medicine can usually save them, but what if they can't be transported in those precious first minutes?

"QuikClot brings the same ability a surgeon has to stop bleeding into the hands of anyone who can open a package," Gullong said.

Dr. Hasan B. Alam, an assistant professor of surgery at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., who has researched a variety of blood clotting materials, has found impressive results with QuikClot.

"It absorbs water out of the blood very efficiently and the stuff that's left behind very rapidly clots up," Alam said.

QuikClot is composed of tiny, porous zeolite particles that resemble "kitty litter," he said, and are commonly found in volcanic rock.

The Marine Corps considers QuikClot the cornerstone of its first aid kit, Gullong said. And Army medics carry the product, which was approved by the FDA in May 2002.

Another new life-saving, blood-clotting product fishes the sea for its active ingredient. The HemCon Inc. bandage utilizes chitosan, an absorbent shrimp-based material, to halt bleeding.

The bandage allows a soldier's wound to form a strong, adherent clot, enabling a patient to be transported, according to HemCon, the Portland, Ore.,-based manufacturer.

"Tests results have demonstrated that HemCon stops bleeding for trauma injuries like those experienced in battlefield conditions," Dr. Kenton Gregory, director of Oregon Medical Laser Center, which invented the bandage, said in a statement.

HemCon, which received FDA approval in November 2002, has generated interest among paramedics, veterinarians and emergency room medics. But for now, the folks on the frontlines take precedence.

"The first order of business is to fulfill the military orders, which they think will take most of the rest of the year," said Sue Van Brocklin, spokesperson for HemCon.

The company is working feverishly to fulfill its contract with the Department of Defense while the battle in Iraq rages on. And HemCon's 18 staffers are taking the task to heart, Van Brocklin emphasized.

"The employees are very dedicated and know that what they are doing could help save lives," she said. "They are working around the clock."

In a modern war, with precision-guided bombs and specially armed Humvees, these promising new products help solve a deadly problem that hasn't changed much in 150 years.

"In the Civil War, (about) 24 percent of all those killed in action bled to death on battlefield, in Vietnam, it was also (about) 24 percent," Gullong said.

Medicine has advanced tremendously, yet on the battlefield wounded soldiers often aren't able to get the quick medical attention that's vital for survival. But with these new products, troops in Operation Iraqi Freedom don't need to have a medical degree to help save lives.

"It's not the medic that will save the life, it will be a fellow soldier, or the soldier themselves who has to stop the bleeding," said Alam. "If you can control the bleeding rapidly enough, you can save soldiers."

Jim Mathieu
04-09-03, 03:51 PM
Thanks ladileathrnek.....this is pretty interesting! I haven't heard of these products. Appreciate your sharing. SF. Jim sends.

Sgt Sostand
04-09-03, 03:56 PM
Now that will help out alot on the battlefield

mrbsox
04-09-03, 05:14 PM
Nature works wonders.

Anybody remember 'Water Buffalo Horn', from the handle of your 'bolo' knife??

Osotogary
04-09-03, 06:45 PM
mrbsox,
No, but I remember being told to put honey on a wound to prevent infection. I also read in a book where an escaped soldier, who was being sheltered by a Filipino family during WWII, who was suffering from high fever, dehydration, food deprevation and festering wounds, woke up to find that his wounds were being licked by the farmers dog. Startled but to weak to move, the soldier just watched while the farmer nodded his approval. It seems as though since dogs lick their own wounds and they heal why wouldn't a humans wounds heal when licked by a dog? Anyhow the American soldier recovered from his wounds and went on to become a member of the guerilla forces fighting the Japanese. Just recently I just saw a program about maggot therapy to clean infected wounds.
This instant clot product is fantastic. I knew about it awhile ago and I'm happy to read about its progress.
Thanks, ladileathrnek!
Gary

SHOOTER1
04-09-03, 08:37 PM
And in Nam, they told us that if you dont have water to clean the wound, you can urinate on it, as it is a sterile solution , I guess it would depend on how bad you wanted to clean it, and pray its not a head wound,you find out who your buddies are.;) :D

ladileathrnek
04-10-03, 08:30 AM
Now there's a vision.....Hadn't thought about that cure on in a while, I do remember hearing about that Shooter1.

Barndog
04-10-03, 10:47 AM
Had a guy in boot camp start to go into heat stroke - we urinated on him to keep his core temperature down enough to save his life.

At the point of no return, it doesn't matter who your buddies are.

SHOOTER1
04-10-03, 09:18 PM
Barndog, I think you probably would have done it to him anyway, fess up, you didnt like him,did you?Golden Showers arent my thing, no matter how bad Im wounded,I did use my own saliva to clean a bullet wound in my leg,as for the other, better be female.:lick: ;)

JChristin
04-10-03, 10:11 PM
I remember in boot hearing about urine being used to "quist" thirst and for wounds. Perhaps for the latter, but for the first one, well, I'd have to really think about that one. I'd give it right back up!

Honey is excellant for treating batercia, especially for women. Used in when I worked in forest fire fighting. However, just got to watch out for those bees. They take an instant liken to ya.

semper fi,
jchristin