PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Inspection & MSG help

Crucible88
12-18-07, 01:03 PM
I just turned in my packet to go MSG! And the team is coming down to give me a screening and i have to report to them in my Service Bravos and i have already done all the basics for my uniform such as name tapes, irish pendents, re-sized, new chevrons, and edge dressing. Is there any thing else that i overlooked or maybe dont even know of. And by chance can anyone give word about how MSG school is and Embassy duty?

yellowwing
12-18-07, 01:11 PM
Congrats on even just an interview. I bet you're SRB must be clean as a whistle. ;)

Just like everything else, Bearing is vital. Really look in the mirror and ask yourself "Would I follow this Marine?"

timreich
12-18-07, 01:16 PM
Confidence and bearing are the 2 biggest parts of an inspection or board. On the last board I was on I took #1 on the SRB, uniform inspection, and the panel but I still lost overall because I smiled during the inspection.

yellowwing
12-18-07, 01:27 PM
Confidence and bearing are the 2 biggest parts of an inspection or board. On the last board I was on I took #1 on the SRB, uniform inspection, and the panel but I still lost overall because I smiled during the inspection.
Exactly! Everyone else is also going to spend hours to make sure the Uniform is Perfect.

That Command Presence will make the difference. MSgts to SgtMaj can get things done ASAP without a word but just a look.

Crucible88
12-18-07, 01:28 PM
yeah i just had that problem too. i went on a board and i was #1 on everything but when i about faced in the room i said sh*t cause i missed placed my footing. o well. and thanks for the help.

yellowwing
12-18-07, 02:01 PM
We were talking in Leatherneck Chat to a Annapolis Hopeful about to approach the Nomination Board.

"There are high school quarterbacks and pretty boy military academy types that want to take your seat. Don't let them"

She bucked up and said, Hell no they ain't getting my spot!

Padre Stripper
12-28-07, 11:40 AM
I was in MSB Bn butit was 87 thru 90, don't think I'd b much help.

ExPISCDI83
03-17-08, 09:23 AM
Uniform-wise, maybe you can ask your NCOs to help. I think that is one of the things they are supposed to do isnt it? Preferably, find one that has been on the drill field where personal appearance and bearing was DRILLED into you and had to exhibit it daily. Former DIs can also give you a few tips too, like spraying scotchgard on the INSIDE of your shirt to help prevent sweat stain under your arms and whereever else you sweat from. Also learn how to iron the uniform. Ironing was actually a formal class in DI school when I went. Many times, the press job you get from the cleaners is not good enough since they sometimes give you a double crease, or makes the creases too long or too short (especially the trousers).

Just a thought.

OB MSG
03-17-08, 09:43 AM
Crucible88,

I spent some time on MSG duty from 2002 to 2004. I know there have been changes since then, but shoot me a message and I will answer anything I can. As for the board, as some others have said, get an NCO to look you over. The best thing is to have confidence and keep your bearing. Depending on who interviews you they may try to trip you up. I had a Navy Chief do mine, (he was the Chief Corpsman at MSG School) and he loved to screw with Marines. He meant well but he grilled you if he could. Just think before you speak.

Let me know about the rest.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-18-08, 07:47 AM
Bearing, bearing bearing!

That's all I got. You know the rest.

dadwas
09-14-08, 11:27 AM
I tried a search after I read this thread, but I'm getting heiroglyphics back instead of text.

Does anyone know where I can find a kind of tutorial about how to iron like that? I'm a civilian, but I have to wear a similar type of uniform and I like to make it look as sharp as I can. I've always wondered about the "tricks of the trade" for keeping creases sharp, and how to get them there in the first place, as well as how not to wrinkle the part you just ironed while trying to iron the next part.

If there's anyone who could direct me to a tutorial, or would be willing to jot down a few tips for me, it'd be much appreciated.