PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas, Iraq Soldiers

thedrifter
12-18-07, 05:51 AM
Merry Christmas, Iraq Soldiers
By TESSA LYNADY

STARRUCCA - United States Marine Corp. Major Ted Batzel, Jr. is a true American patriot. Recently deployed to Iraq, this is his 4th time participating in the war effort. As the Christmas holiday approaches, Major Batzel will not be celebrating surrounded by his family, wife of 11 years, Carly (Soden) Batzel and their three-year-old son Jackson. Instead, he and thousands of other brave American soldiers will be fighting on the frontlines in Iraq.

Peggy Soden, his mother-in-law, beams with pride when she speaks of her son-in-law. “We're very proud of him and all the soldiers.” The family is lucky enough to be able to communicate through e-mail, and Mrs. Soden explains “he seems to be in a positive frame of mind. He actually called us on Thanksgiving. He wishes he were home during this time of year. When Ted calls, my husband gets a little teary eyed. He fought in Vietnam and knows what Ted is going through with not being home for the holidays.”

Luckily for Ted and the Marines in 2nd Brigade Platoon, 2D Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO), the community of Starrucca has been rallying around these brave men and women, providing support and comfort that is essential to many soldiers.

The Soden family's neighbor, Mary Ann DeBalko of the Starrucca Seniors, has spearheaded a package initiative that has sent care packages to the soldiers in Major Batzel's unit.

“The packages contained different things depending of the soldier's wish lists”, explained Mrs. Batzel. “My husband basically went around and had the guys write a letter to Santa. Each team received a package based on the wish lists. They all received gun cleaning kits,which everyone wanted. Depending on where they were, they received different things. Those in more civilized areas received Christmas music CDs, board games, and DVDs to help them pass the time, while the guys who were really roughing it got some dried fruits and some cheese, things they needed that they could carry on them.”

The donations that continue to pour in surely provide emotional support to soldiers defending freedom in a far away, violent land. Major Batzel is expected to return home in April, but until then, will continue the fight. “He is leading troops as an officer and is under a lot of stress”, stated Mrs. Soden, “but he sounds good, and he truly believes in the work that they are doing over there.”

Christmas, even without the comforts of home, came for these soldiers thanks to the love and support of the Starrucca community. “Every guy over there wants to write a thank you note to send back home. This has really been amazing”, stated Mrs. Batzel. “I get choked up when I think about it. That's my hometown that did all of this. It's just amazing.”

Ellie