PDA

View Full Version : 10 Questions: Gunnery Sgt. Traves Darmock

thedrifter
12-17-07, 08:08 PM
dailypress.com
10 Questions: Gunnery Sgt. Traves Darmock
'I think we make miracles happen'
Gunnery Sgt. Traves Darmock is the coordinator of the Marine Corps Reserve’s Toys for Tots campaign on the Peninsula.

By Kim O'Brien Root

928-6473

December 17, 2007

Two years ago, Gunnery Sgt. Traves Darmock was, in his words, "volunteered" to be the coordinator of the Marines Corps Reserve's Toys for Tots campaign on the Peninsula.

A longtime supporter of the campaign, the gunnery sergeant didn't complain.

The national program, in its 60th year, makes sure that needy children have gifts under their trees on Christmas morning. Last year, the local community donated more than 50,000 toys, making Christmas a little merrier for some 11,000 children. For Darmock, seeing the joy on recipients' faces is what it's all about.

Toys for Tots begins distributing toys today. Darmock plans to continue working to bring in even more toys because this year, the number of donations has been running below last year's total.

Q: How long has Toys for Tots been around?

A: In 1947, a major named Bill Hendricks started the program. His wife had a little Raggedy Ann doll that she made and gave it to her husband to take out in town and find some place that could give it to a child in need. Well, he couldn't find anything. He went back and told his wife, Diane, "Hey, there's not an organization out there that can give toys to kids." She said, "Well, create one." So he did. So in 1947, in Los Angeles, Calif., they started a pilot program. They collected about 5,000 toys that year. It was successful, and the Marine Corps adopted it in 1948. And it's been going strong ever since.

Q: How did you get involved?

A: I started in 1991. I checked into my first unit, the 4th Medical Battalion, in San Diego, Calif. It had just started gearing up for the year's Toys for Tots program. Since I was a driver, I volunteered my time to drive the big truck around town. It became an annual thing. I've had my hands in it ever since.

Q: What makes Toys for Tots different than other holiday charities?

A: We create miracles. On Christmas Eve, I have three families identified, some pretty hard-core cases. I'm going to personally dress up in blues with somebody else, and we'll go deliver toys to those families. You see them break out in tears; the kids are excited. Without us showing up, they wouldn't have anything at all. I think that's what makes us unique. I think we make miracles happen here.

Q: How can donating a toy be so important?

A: It's giving Christmas to families who otherwise wouldn't have it. A new shiny toy, to a child, represents that they haven't been forgotten, they haven't been left behind and the magic of Christmas hasn't passed them by. This program really is about the children. There are so many children who are less fortunate, and they just want to have Christmas.

Q: All the toy recalls this year are giving the campaign some extra work. How are you screening the toys?

A: Hopefully, our first line of defense is the stores not selling them. Secondly, the Marines and sailors are screening them as they come through. Our next line is the Peninsula Mommies. The club has donated a bunch of mommies to come out and screen the toys. They're going to be almost the last protective line before the toys get to the family. And the final protection, the parents have got to take some responsibility.

Q: The toy numbers have been down compared to last year, especially toys for older children. Why do you think that is?

A: I just think a combination of everything is putting a damper on it. The cost of living, the higher cost of energy, the subprime rates kicking in, people's mortgages going up, fuel costs increasing — the combination is significantly impacting not just Toys for Tots, but everything. I think we're going to do all right, though. We can still come in and get the amount of toys we did last year.

Q: Can the community still help?

A: People can support us anyway they can. We do need support for older age groups, even monetarily. If someone gives me a check on the 22nd, I can buy toys on the 22nd. I could probably get a better price than they can — bulk order, 65 percent off, quality toys. I can have them shipped here in 24 hours. I just bought $10,000 worth of toys (on Thursday) for the 10-to-teens. They delivered them basically overnight.

Q: Has staffing been an issue?

A: This year, manpower has been difficult. Two-thirds of my staff (at the Marine Corps Reserve's 4th Supply Battalion in Newport News) is training folks for deployment. Some are deploying, most are training those to be deployed. We had a huge call-up, and we have multiple numbers leaving. Before, I had about 30 people I could rely on. Now, it's about 10.

Q: What if you were deployed? Would you help out children in Iraq?

A: If they have some kind of program, I certainly would give it a shot. They tease me all the time: "Gunny Darmock's going to have his Toys for Tots box and flags out in Iraq!"

Q: How about your own children? Do you plan on getting them interested in helping others?

A: They'll definitely be heavily involvedm, as well. Ciera (his 21/2-year-old daughter) already is. She was at the motorcycle ride that the Ladies of Harley did for us. She was on the back of the 7-ton, taking the toys as people handed them up, walking them back and putting them in the back of the truck.

Where Toys for Tots stands
Toy donations this year, as of Friday, Dec. 14:

• 14,251 from the community

• 2,808 purchased with donations

• 6,590 from the Toys for Tots foundation

Total: 23,649

Toy donations in 2006:

• 51,851 from the community

• 10,000 from the Toys for Tots Foundation

Total: 61,851

Ellie