thedrifter
12-17-07, 03:39 AM
Home for the holidays
Troops welcomed back after six months overseas
Published Mon, Dec 17, 2007 12:00 AM
By BRANDON HONIG
bhonig@beaufortgazette.com
843-986-5532

Four hundred Marines and Navy sailors got their Christmas wish a little early on Sunday, returning home to the Lowcountry in time to spend the holidays with their families.

"It's hard to put into words," said Chief Warrant Officer 2 Anthony Alejandre, who returned Sunday from his fourth deployment with Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 251. "It's a bit overwhelming, coming home at Christmas time. ... The timing couldn't be better."

The Marines of VMFA-251 and the Navy sailors of Navy Strike Fighter Squadron 86 had both been deployed in the Persian Gulf near Iraq and the Arabian Sea near Afghanistan during the past six months.

"You become accustomed to the day-in, day-out, but coming home gives you a whole new appreciation for family and home," Alejandre said, holding one of his three children in his arms.

During the six-month deployment, the two squadrons flew more than 1,100 sorties and logged more than 3,100 hours of flight time. No member of the squadrons died.

"I'm worried every time he goes out (for deployment). ... I couldn't hardly sleep (while he was gone)," said Debbie Stewart, whose son Lance Cpl. Craig Stokes returned from his second deployment Sunday. "It's overwhelming, seeing him safe and sound. It's hard to explain -- you just have to be a mom and see him get off the bus."

Stokes is heading to Universal Studios for a short vacation and is planning a belated birthday party with his brother. Both brothers had birthdays in December while Stokes was deployed.

"I'm going to spend some time relaxing and then work on my future career as a painter," Stokes said before uttering the words that seemed to be on everybody's lips Sunday. "It's always nice to be back in time for Christmas."

Ellie