PDA

View Full Version : Marek: Lansing Mall action insults those in uniform

thedrifter
12-16-07, 06:23 PM
Published December 16, 2007

Marek: Lansing Mall action insults those in uniform
Marines answering questions are hardly a bother to shoppers

Having served our country in the Marine Corps, I was shocked and disappointed to read John Schneider's report (Dec. 11) of the Lansing Mall's position on military personnel in uniform.

The mall's senior general manager, Ken Huge, stated that it wasn't the fact that the Marines were in uniform for why they were asked to leave, but that they were, in the mall security guard's opinion, "shopping for more than Christmas presents."

I have two teenagers and frequent the mall on the weekends. It is a shame those security guards want to focus their time on two young men who are doing a service for this country by answering young people's questions, and maybe giving a few of them a better alternative in life. There are better targets for their concern, such as the young, thuggish gangs that loiter in the mall every weekend, many of whose members I have not seen holding purchases.

So what are they "shopping for" other than making the mall environment both intimidating and a cause for concerning for a parent of a teenage girl who wants to hang with her friend and shop at the mall without Dad shadowing them.

Huge was also quoted as saying, "We keep a pretty tight rein on people soliciting at the mall, We don't want them interfering with the enjoyment of our shoppers."

Excuse me? Maybe Huge should tighten that leash a bit more on some of what I call the "pagoda poachers"? I have lost count how many times I have been shouted at, "Hey come over here. Are you happy with your phone service?"

And what of the perfume and lotion stalkers who chase you down and either spray you or try to force lotion on you? When you politely decline and try to walk away, they'll block your path, still trying to sell their wares, or ridicule you as you leave. Such a circumstance just befell my mother-in-law who, by the way, is allergic to the perfumes in some lotions.

When the vendor was told this, he replied, with no concern for her, that "this lotion will not hurt you."

Sounds like an enjoyable experience to me; how about you?

Having a couple of Marines in uniform walking the mall and being a much better role model for today's youth is a win-win situation. It gives a kid a chance to talk to a soldier and maybe find a path for the future. For others, it is a reminder that many of our young men and women are not home for the holidays and gives this time of year a bit more perspective when it comes to cherishing time with family and friends.

Either way you want to view it, the mall's policy is not only unfair and disrespectful, but insulting to those servicemen.

Ellie