PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of Marines from Iraq War's Beginning

thedrifter
12-16-07, 05:49 PM
Thoughts of Marines from Iraq War's Beginning
Friday, December 14, 2007 2:02 PM
By David Botti
During my deployment to Iraq in 2003 I kept a journal thinking someday, when I'm old and gray, I'd want to remember how things were back in the summer of '03. One section of this journal was comprised of interviews I did with Marines in my platoon over a period of two days. We'd been in Iraq less than three weeks, and so far had not moved from our initial position guarding a bridge in the middle of nowhere.

The interviews were not done for any journalistic purpose, but simply to get a sense of what other people in my platoon were thinking. I've posted excerpts below. One thing to keep in mind as you read them is the diversity of answers. Some of them may sound crass, but that's just the kind of black humor that gets you though the day. Also remember that at the time the war was less than a month old:

Interviews taken April 16th – 18th, 2003

How has your opinion of the war changed?

-“At first I didn’t give a sh*t, but now I’m glad, I like giving little kids tootsie rolls.”

-“At first I thought it was good because there was viable cause with weapons of mass destruction. Now I think it’s a farce because they’re aren’t any and if there are they’ve been brought in by the Americans. Anyone with shiny things on their collars [officers] is an idiot.”

-“I always wanted to come over and kick ass, glad we did it this time.”

-“Before I wasn’t sure how Iraqi civilians felt about us coming, how they felt, if they actually wanted us to fix their country. If it was really an Iraqi freedom operation. Now I think they’re happy, they’re friendly, they’re glad to see us (except the six we just captured). It’s a rich oil country, but people live Third World, no shoes.”

-“First the constant is that the U.S. has it’s own ideas on capitalizing from this. But I feel better being here now, because we are here, but it’s worth it that we’re helping these people. The U.S. is a bunch of pigs because it’s for oil–not humanitarian, but the people will be helped.”

-“I didn’t think we’d face as little resistance as we did from hard core Islamics, because we’re a non-Arab army in an Arab’s country. War becomes more legitimate with each person I see every day.”

-“First our intentions were not to help these people, so not entirely. But a little good has come out of it, but who knows what kind of mess this will lead to.”

-“War is not what it seems to be on TV, only a few exciting seconds are shown. I still think it’s good for why we’re here.”

-“Since the beginning I wanted to help people. My understanding of war has changed, it’s a messy business. America promised too much, Iraqis had basic needs under Saddam. They’re starting to wonder how America is going to end up here.”

Have you thought about September 11th since you’ve been here?

-“I think we’d still be here even if 9/11 hadn’t occurred.”

-“No, I look at my watch twice a day at 9:11, that’s the only context.”

-“We’ve all moved on from that.”

-“Last night. I’m trying to relate it to here. I want people I know living in New York City to live and not have to worry about things.”

-“No, surprisingly I don’t think I have.”

-“Yes, since then our country has taken on a different stance in dealing with the world. That’s part of what we’re doing, not just freeing Iraq, fighting terrorism. The world wouldn’t be where it was today.”

-“In the beginning. Now I have no time to think about that sh*t.”

-“I wonder if Saddam had anything to do with it.”

-“No, not really. Now that you mention it, I’m surprised I haven’t.”

-“Every day. A family friend, a firefighter, was lost. This was my first experience of America being attacked.”

-“All the time. It began this odyssey. Personally it was the start of a long journey to this point. It will never be over in full, but my own contribution to my country will have been resolved, so I can move forward. This is closing the chapter on the journey. Time to move on to a new phase.”

If you could speak to the Iraqi people on television, what would you say?

-“I have a ten inch c*ck – just kidding. I’d say Saddam is gone, but the job is not done. Make sure you help us get you a new government, so we can get out. Never become as cowardly as suicide bombers.”

-“You owe us.”

-“That’s all you had?”

-“Look forward to a brighter future.”

-“If you’re happy we’re here, good. If not, we’ve won, f*ck you, we did it fast. Your country sucks d*ck and I don’t know why you stay here.”

-“Bring me meat and bread.”

-“I’d thank the people for their cooperation. I’m glad they’re free.”

-“You’re welcome.”

-“We’ve given you a chance to unf*ck yourselves, don’t f*ck up, take full advantage. Tolerance is key.”

-“I’d advise them there is a lot in this world they’ve never know, and to be open to this. We’re giving you a chance to see something beyond what you’ve known before.”

-“Patience, Patience. There is no magical stick to change everything. You need to do things yourselves, Americans won’t do everything.”

-“Thank you for tearing us away from our loving families to live in your miserable country.”

-“I hope we actually helped them. Everything done was done for their good. I’m sorry if they had to suffer at all.”

-“Now it’s up to you guys.”

-“Freedom to live the life you want is the greatest freedom you can have.”

-“Now we’re here to help, we mean no harm. Take precaution on how you approach us, we’re still alert. Please cooperate and obey the laws.”

How do you think you will look back on this in forty years?

-“Talking to the grandkids–it’s nothing, not a big deal. There’s more reaction to things now, not in the future.”

-“In forty years America’s power and influence won’t be as strong. Our mideast expansion is the beginning of us overextending.”

-“I’d just miss everybody. You don’t have friends like this at home, or anywhere.”

-“I won’t.”

-“I’m trying to appreciate what we’re doing. I feel proud, I’m proud now.”

-“I’d be proud I did something productive.”

-“If I hadn’t come here I would have been frustrated. I’m glad I was here no matter what we end up doing.”

-“I hope to forget, but probably never will.”

-“Everything was worth it–stopping our lives for a second time and making sacrifices.”

-“I really have no idea. I probably won’t talk about it. People wouldn’t understand. Only if someone was there would I talk about it.”

-“It characterized the youth of my life. It formed the foundation for the rest of my life. Friends here will know you better than anyone. This is life.”

What would you do back home if people are still protesting the war? / If they did so to your face?

-“I wouldn’t care. / I’d punch them, then kick them when they’re down.”

-“They have every right to. / I’d walk right by them.”

-“I think they’re stupid. / I’d punch them, I’d be so angry I couldn’t even speak. They haven’t earned the right to protest, not until they serve their country. Civilian couch potatoes don’t know their d*ck from their ass.”

-“They do it because some have nothing better to do, to do something. They have no idea what it’s all about. / I’d say that’s your opinion, but I don’t agree and I’m not going to discuss it with you because you weren’t part of it.”

-“It’s good. It’s America. Some people do it because it’s the hip thing. People think it’s cool to be anti-something, but not anti-troops, that’s bad. Before being here I’d be more easily swayed into protesting. It’s still for oil, but I’ve become more for it. If we leave without capitalizing on oil, I think that would be great. / Hey, whatever. I’d have the same conversation we’re having right now.”

-“Every American is entitled to opinion, go for it, but I don’t agree with it. I hope the news shows it as we’re seeing it. After people see how it is right now, there should be no more protests. If they’re protesting they’re just hypocrites. / If you protest you protest the soldiers, and that’s wrong, they don’t make policy. Soldiers will fight when you hate the cause and when you love the cause.”

-“Protesters are naïve. Their agendas are not as benevolent or pro-Iraqi as they might seem. They’re all under the Iraqi banner but using the war for their own agendas. / I might be personally angry but would try to educate them that I’m a professional soldier, that’s my job.”

-“They have every right. I don’t agree with a lot of it. You can protest anything, that’s what’s great about our country. / I’d just keep walking.”

-“If they were here and saw the people here with nothing and smiles when they see us, they would change their views real fast. They protest just to argue. / I’d go nuts on them. I would love to hear their reason, then show them a video of Iraqi people and then see what they would say.”

-“They have a right to, but a lot don’t know all the facts. They haven’t been to Iraq like we have, but they have a right to do and say what they want, which is why we’re the most powerful nation. I just hope they don’t call us baby killers. / Depends. If they were hostile I’d punch them. If they were decent, I’d try to talk to them about what they saw.”

-“They don’t have a f*cking clue what’s going on. Cowards. They’re over privileged kids directing their own ideas against this. They can afford to go against their government. / I’d honor their right. If they made accusations against me, things would get heated. I’d ask them to back up what they say.”

-“I like them, they’re the ones who care about the troops.”

Ellie