PDA

View Full Version : The family that trains together…

thedrifter
12-16-07, 08:06 AM
The family that trains together…
Uncle, nephew heading to Iraq together as Marines
By MEG JONES
mjones@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Dec. 15, 2007

Twentynine Palms, Calif. - He's called Pops, old man and grandpa and, by at least one Marine in his unit, Uncle Chris.

Christopher Moericke, 40, had already spent many years in the Marines - leaving for boot camp one day after he graduated from high school in 1984 and serving in Operation Desert Storm, where he was stationed in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Fourteen years after the West Bend native last stowed his combat boots and seabag, Christopher Moericke joined the Marines again after his nephew signed up with Fox Company.

"My excuse for coming back is midlife crisis. I can't afford a sports car," Christopher Moericke said.

Lance Cpl. Andrew Moericke, 22, joined the Milwaukee-based Marine Reserves unit before his uncle, and the pair both serve in headquarters platoon. Andrew Moericke must call his uncle Sgt. Moericke, but sometimes he has forgotten and called the man who has known him since he was a baby Uncle Chris.

"I said it a couple of times, got busted a couple times," said Andrew Moericke, who works at Milwaukee Forge.

"I actually got to be harder on him," said Christopher Moericke, a lieutenant on the Jackson Fire Department and a purchasing supervisor for a Menomonee Falls company. "To me he's another Marine, but he's also family."

The Moerickes have been at the large Marine training facility in Twentynine Palms since mid-September and are deploying to Iraq next month with the 2nd Battalion, 24th Marines.

The uncle side of Christopher Moericke makes sure his nephew calls home weekly and talks to his father, Rod, and mother, Amy. Rod Moericke is Christopher's older brother. Christopher Moericke also ordered his nephew to see a doctor this month to take care of a nagging upper respiratory problem.

Nephew and uncle share care packages, particularly chocolate chip cookies and brownies made by Andrew Moericke's mom.

The uncle has given his nephew advice on the importance of taking care of his health and, most importantly for a Marine serving in the infantry, taking care of his feet.

While Christopher Moericke joined Fox Company because of his nephew, Andrew joined because his uncle and his grandfather were Marines. Andrew's grandfather, Christopher's father, served in World War II and Korea.

Christopher Moericke remembers holding his nephew when he was a baby.

"I changed his diapers, too," he said, as his nephew's face changed to a pained expression.

He also attended Andrew's football games at West Bend East High School and deer hunted with him and the rest of their large family in Lake Tomahawk. Now the uncle and nephew are training to go to Iraq together.

Christopher Moericke admits he's worried about his nephew as they head to a war zone.

"Safetywise, yes, because we're family. But we've got a good group of Marines. I'm confident we'll all come home," Christopher Moericke said.

Ellie