PDA

View Full Version : Recruits get sneak preview

thedrifter
12-16-07, 07:52 AM
Recruits get sneak preview

BY DIANA ROSSETTI
REPOSITORY STAFF WRITER

For 200 future Marines on Saturday morning at Stadium Park, it was more “Semper Fly” than “Semper Fi.”

In 28-degree weather featuring a wind chill of 18, the young recruits mentored by 75 active-duty Marines gathered for this area’s inaugural Jingle Bell Run, a fast-paced, double-time 2-mile taste of impending Parris Island boot camp.

The run came after the recruits, 32 of them Stark, Carroll and Tuscarawas county high-school seniors, underwent qualifying individual strength tests. For men, that meant completing at least 45 abdominal crunches in two minutes and two pull-ups. Female recruits were required to perform the same number of crunches and a 12-second flexed-arm hang.

Like a proud father, Sgt. Jeremy Matthews who heads the Canton-based Marine recruiting substation for Stark, Carroll and Tuscarawas, watched his group of 48 pass the physical tests.

“A lot of these people knew from the time they were kids that they wanted to be Marines,” said Matthews of North Canton, an eight-year veteran. “I know I did.”

Corps values - honor, courage and commitment- inspire them to work harder, he added. “When they join, they know they have to graduate high school, no drugs and be dedicated,” Matthews said.

DETERMINATION PAID OFF

Perhaps no one in Saturday’s group has worked harder than 18-year-old Kevin Polosky, a GlenOak High School graduate who leaves Monday for recruit training.

On his first visit to the local recruiting office, Polosky weighed 335 pounds. Sergeant Raymond McKimok told him he could not meet the physical requirements of a Marine. But Polosky was not to be denied. In six months, Polosky’s weight had dropped to 210 through diet and exercise.

Shivering in the cold was Joe Rukavina, a slim 18-year-old East Canton High School senior. For him, the fitness challenge was not so daunting because he ran track and cross country.

Rukavina’s older brother Anthony, a Marine, is serving in Iraq. His grandfather and father also were Marines.

“I am 100 percent for serving your country no matter what,” Rukavina declared.

On Jan. 2, 18-year-old Lake High School graduate Anthony Stevens, already a private first class, will leave for 56 days in infantry school at Camp Geiger, N.C. On Saturday, he wore an olive-green sweat suit as did the rest of the active-duty Marines.

ALL PARRIS ISLAND-BOUND

Among the recruits marching four abreast in formation through Stadium Park to the McKinley Monument and back were three friends departing Tuesday for shared platoon quarters at Parris Island.

Victoria Poland, 19, a Strasburg High School graduate; Cassidy Beamish, 19, who graduated from Tusky Valley High School, and Laura Landis, 19, who graduated from Indian Valley High School, all are seeking the challenges offered by the Marine Corps.

Beamish hopes to train in radiology.

Landis had a ready explanation for her enlistment.

“I wanted to do something great in my life,” she said. “My grandfather did it, and I wanted to, too.”

Reach Diana Rossetti at (330) 580-8322 or e-

mail:diana.rossetti@cantonrep.com

LEARN MORE ABOUT THE USMC

For more information on the U.S. Marine Corps, call Sgt. Jeremy Matthews at (330) 492-1170 or visit the recruiting office at 4933 Whipple Ave. NW, Jackson Township.

Marine's Recruits in Jingle Bell Run photo highlights of the Marines' run.
cantonrep.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=391902

Ellie