PDA

View Full Version : Green belt not enough for MCMAP instructor

thedrifter
12-16-07, 07:44 AM
Green belt not enough for MCMAP instructor

By Cpl. Scott M. Biscuiti, 11th MEU

ABOARD USS GERMANTOWN (Dec. 16, 2007) -- Cpl. Dale Guzman’s martial arts journey began at his home in Luling, Tx. in 2001. His older brother, Diego, who joined the Corps in 2000, showed him a video of Marines punching, kicking and throwing each other to the deck.

“It’s line training,” his brother told him, and it was the precursor to the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and it was intense. Every punch and kick peaked his interest. He saw instructors teaching smaller Marines to use technique, gravity and natural motion to drop their larger foes. Guzman was hooked and he knew martial arts was in his future.

Nearly seven years later, Guzman, is now a MCMAP green belt instructor, and MCMAP is very big part of his life.

Guzman, a 21-year-old fire team leader and, is currently aboard the USS Germantown and taking part in a scheduled six-month deployment through the Western Pacific Ocean and Arabian Gulf region with Company B, Battalion Landing Team 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable), Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Guzman’s interest in martial arts began to grow when he was formally introduced to MCMAP at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, after joining the Corps in 2004.

“At boot camp everyone earns a tan belt, but I didn’t want just a tan belt,” he said. “I found out that there was an entire belt system and I wanted to advance.”
After boot camp, Guzman was off to Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton’s School of Infantry, where he met a green belt instructor who told him about the martial arts instructor courses offered to Marines.

“That’s when I knew I wanted to be an instructor,” Guzman said. “I wanted to teach Marines.” So when he got the opportunity to go, he took it.

“It was one of the hardest things I’ve done in the Marine Corps,” Guzman said about the three-week course. “It’s nonstop everyday. It teaches you a lot about yourself and how much you can take.”

Cpl. Ramon Hiestand, a rifleman with B Co., 1st Bn., 5th Marines, attended the intense instructor course with Guzman and saw the intensity of the course first-hand. “It’s an ass-kicker from day one,” he said. “It’s designed so you can see how long you can hang on when you are exhausted and hurting.”

Hiestand, who has known Guzman for more than three years, said that from the beginning Guzman was excited about the course and even when injured, he showed motivation the whole time.

“One day we were running the obstacle course and Guzman was going over a log and fell right on his elbow,” said Hiestand. “I knew he was hurting, but he didn’t think of quitting. He just kept pushing.”

MCMAP pushes you both mentally and physically. “It’s like combat,” he said. “You have to be able to take everything that comes your way.”

On his second deployment, Guzman is trying to get this message across to his students. He is also using it as a morale booster and as a means for Marines to let out some pent-up aggression, said Guzman.

“I really enjoy it,” said Guzman, and apparently, so do the Marines.

“I like the way Cpl. Guzman teaches,” said Lance Cpl. Andrew Campbell, a rifleman with B Co., 1st Bn., 5th Marines and Palmyra, Va. native. “He does it in a way that’s easy to learn and he’s funny. It’s a great way to pass the time and better myself.”
Martial arts are tough to pass on, said Guzman. He hopes some of his students will choose to walk in his footsteps and someday take his place.

Guzman said he’s set his sights on a new goal, to make it to the top of the MCMAP system and go to Quantico to be a martial arts instructor trainer.

“Green belt is only half way there,” said Guzman, and Marines don’t do anything half-way.

For more information about the 11th MEU (SOC) visit their website at www.usmc.mil/11thmeu.

For high resolution images for this and any 11th MEU (SOC) story contact Staff Sgt. Sergio Jimenez at jimenezs@11meu.usmc.mil.

Ellie