PDA

View Full Version : Journalists Know the Risks

PropUSN
04-08-03, 08:39 PM
I am a military history 'buff'. But am partial to the Pacific Theater of operations during WWII.
From the onset of our introduction into the Pacific campaign in 1941 until it's victorious success in 1945, American journalists have brought the war and it's horrors to the people waiting anxiously on the 'homefront'.
Many 'soldier journalists' were right at the front lines taking pictures, talking to the troops, filiming the enemy dying on the battlefield.
These journalists knew of the dangers of being so close to the shooting. And some of them perished in the process of showing many of us what it was like, the carnage, the destruction, the heartbreak of battle firsthand. And we, Americans, didn't think twice about the journalists who gave the ulitimate sacrifice in bringing the news to us.
Oh yes, they were remembered, and honoured for their bravery and stoic heroism in letting us know what it was like. Many of these same were given posthumous medals of courage and honor.
So it was for Korea, Viet Nam, Samalia, Panama. We knew some died, some were not heard from again.
Now we have Iraq. The news, CNN, Fox, MSNBC show us our 'imbedded' journalists talking to our soldiers, filming the battles, showing us the horror of war.
I know these journalists of todays battles know the inherent dangers of going into combat with the military. I'm sure they know the possibilities of being wounded, or heaven forbid even killed doing what they are trained to do. And that is to bring us the horrors and heroes of war.
We have been inundated by reports from Jeraldo Riveira, and many of the 100's of reporters giving us ringside seats to the fighting in downtown Baghdad.
I admit, I find it fascinating to watch the battle in 'real time'. Something that I have not witnessed firsthand.
I am proud of all our troops and of the British troops who are at this moment going in harms way.
Now, I say this to those that will treat the reports of journalists that have died in Iraq as barbarism, terrible military mistakes, blunders, even bad errors of the commanders in the field.
They knew the risks.......they knew what might happen........they knew the consequences of 'being in the wrong place...at the wrong time'.
Let them rest in peace......and let us pray for their families. And we are saddened by their loss.
But, they knew the risks.

God Bless our troops.......God Bless America.

William Propsner USN

greensideout
04-08-03, 10:44 PM
You are right on.

There is no need to find "blame" for their loss. They knew the risk.
It is war and they placed themself into the thick of it, risk and all.

I admire the reporters that chose to do this and I mourn their death as I do the fighting men of our country. God bless them all!

They perhaps had sought glory and fame from their work but as the soldier, it can come with the ultimate price.

Sgt Sostand
04-09-03, 06:26 AM
Yes any time your at war and your in the Zone you run a Risk you couldn`t pay me enuff to be a Journalists in a war zone

:marine:

Sixguns
04-09-03, 06:53 AM
1. I'm a Marine
2. I'm a Marine Combat Correspondent (journalist)

Well, it is rather annoying sitting on the sidelines for this one. I guess when you ask to retire, you are taken off the "A" list and don't get invited to the parties anymore.

SF,

PropUSN
04-09-03, 08:07 PM
The post I made about journalists in the 'line of fire' was aimed primarily at the 'sandcrab' journalists.
Military combat journalists are highly trained, well motivated, skilled in the use of a camera, microphone and an M-16.
The 'sandcrabs'(civilians) that go into harms way to bring us the reality of war are told about the risks and are given a few 'what to dos' when they are there.
I proudly salute the military journalists. They have double duty carrying a microphone plus a weapon.
I also salute the sandcrabs who hopefully have learned to duck.
Way to go Marines! Oooorah!

William Propsner USN