PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Traditions

sparkie
12-12-07, 08:04 PM
I love Christmas, so I wanted to hear from you.
I started one, which my kids can't forget. Whenever we were all in the car during the holidays, anyone who spotted a Christmas tree on the road, in or on a car or truck, any tree being transported, could yell "TREE'. That kid would get a dollar. A couple of dollars to a 5 year old for shopping was a big deal. Sad, but the truth was we all had to be together, which nowadays just don't work. Anyway,,, they still talk about it and whenever one sees a tree, I hear about it.
Another tradition I brought from my parents. Every Christmas Eve, we had some big jucy oranges in a bowl. Oranges in the 50s, in December, in Ohio, were a real expensive treat. Most of the year we were thankful to eat. Every Christmas Eve, My kids ate oranges. I think their kids will too.

crate78
12-12-07, 09:32 PM
Oddly enough, I can't really remember any Christmas traditions, just New Years.

My father had no immediate family in the area, but he had a cousin, Charlie, who lived on a farm three miles from ours with his wife and two sons. Every New Years Eve, we would spend at Charlie's house. One tradition was we always had oyster soup on New Year's Eve. Also, Charlie was an excellent fiddle player. My sister began piano lessons at about age 5, and by age 7 or 8 could chord along on the piano while Charlie fiddled all the good old square dance tunes. (My sister, now widowed, gives piano and accordion lessons and has her own polka band.)

So--my pre-Corps New Year's Eves consisted of oyster soup and our own foot-stompin' hoedown.

I recall spending some Christmas Eves with Charlie's family, but we'd alternate between his house and ours, and there were no particular traditions, culinary or otherwise.

crate

usmchauer
12-12-07, 11:28 PM
In my family we always opened our presents on Christmas Eve. I believe it's a Scandinavian tradition. (wife's family is the same way) My Parents never really pushed the idea of Santa, but we did get little trinkets in our stockings Christmas morning.