PDA

View Full Version : Sailors, Marines spread holiday cheer at VA Hospital

thedrifter
12-12-07, 07:52 PM
Sailors, Marines spread holiday cheer at VA Hospital

By MCSA Dmitry Chepusov, Periscope staff

More than 50 Kings Bay Sailors and Marines visited the Carl Vinson Veterans Administration Medical Center in Dublin, Ga., Dec. 10 to deliver paper bags decorated by children from the Kings Bay Child Development Center, Crooked River Elementary School and Boys & Girls Club filled with thoughtful gifts of toiletries and crossword puzzles.

Having chartered an uncomfortable bus, Sailors from various NSB Kings Bay commands and Marines from Marine Corps Security Forces Company endured a long trip north I-95 and west along I-16 to the medical center located just east of Macon.

Once the gifts were off loaded, Recreation Therapy Supervisor Cecilia Jones introduced the Sailors to the residents and staff.

"I have seen many smiles from our patients today," said Jones. "They see the same routine every day, but when they have Sailors and Marines in their dress uniforms come to visit them, it brightens their day tremendously."

The atmosphere at Carl Vinson was indeed cheery, as six groups of Sailors and Marines walked from hall to hall and floor to floor, handing out gifts, and spending the available time to get to know some of the hospital's residents. The brown paper grocery bags, each individually decorated and painted by a child, contained various useful toiletries, magazines and crossword puzzles. Some even had 'thank you' and 'Happy Holidays' cards. Although many of the patients were in poor condition to hold a real conversation during the visit, their smiles spoke to the servicemembers more than words.

"I think our trip was a great success," said RP3 John Layman, who organized the visit. "I could not have asked for more gift bags, and I know that the halls that I visited today are filled with ecstatic veterans."

"We saw a lot of outstanding veterans today, and we listened to many stories about their service," said Sgt. Tyler Dahl of the Marine Corps Security Forces Company. "We were glad to come out here and wish them a Merry Christmas, because we know that not a whole lot of people visit them. I have several family members who reside in VA homes and I know that they rather open up to and talk to servicemembers than anyone else. As a result of this visit my Marines found out that our service brings a lot of good, be it now or during World War II, and the veterans received a lot of positive feedback from them in return."

Many of the servicemembers in attendance felt that they benefited from the visit as much as the veterans did.

"I met many cool guys with several inspiring service stories," said MTSA Thomas Skurk of MT C-School at Trident Training Facility. "It was a good experience to be able to see where I may end up 20 or 30 years from now. Most of all, it was a very humbling experience, because all of them started out at the bottom of the ladder, where I am now, and I think it is important to recognize their sacrifices and accomplishments."

Ellie