PDA

View Full Version : Car dealership provides Christmastime lift to Marine family

thedrifter
12-12-07, 08:33 AM
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Car dealership provides Christmastime lift to Marine family
Marine family is befriended by staff at a Rancho Santa Margarita dealership.
By EUGENE W. FIELDS
STAFF WRITER

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA – Travis Primeau and his family have had enough hard times for the year.

Primeau, a private first class stationed with 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, Fox Company at Camp Pendleton, is in physical rehabilitation for an ankle injury. His wife Kellie was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

Money was so tight that Primeau had contemplated selling his car to buy Christmas presents for his wife and four children: Colton 7, Hunter 5, Aiden 3, and Chaz, 4 months.

Workers at Santa Margarita Ford lifted the Primeau family's Christmas worries today when the General Manager Mike Mamic and four managers of the dealership presented the Marine and his wife with $2,605. The money was donated by the 135 employees at Santa Margarita Ford, which each year adopts a needy military family.

Mamic, the managers and Primeau's commanding officers took the family to Tutto Fresco, saying the family had won a free lunch. After drinks were served, Mamic stood up and told the couple why they were really there.

"Every year, we raise money to help sponsor a family," Mamic said. "This year, we choose you."

With that, Mamic pulled out $120 and put it on the table in front of the Primeaus. One by one, each manager pulled out what their department had raised. When Guest Relations Manager Gina Allen set $2,000 on the table, Kellie Primeau shook her head and dabbed away tears.

"I'm just thinking about all the toys that my boys are going to be freaking out over," she said. "All I can think about is that on Christmas, it's so much going to be all about my kids. They're not going to be disappointed."

Travis Primeau did his best to hold back tears, but failed when describing his feelings.

"It was really overwhelming. I didn't expect anything like this," Primeau said. "I was getting ready to sell my car to buy some gifts. Now I don't have to do that."

HOW SANTA MARGARITA FORD ADOPTS A FAMILY

-- Service Manager Eddie Yau calls the chaplain's office at Camp Pendleton for a list of worthy families.

-- The chaplain puts Yau in touch with commanding officers.

-- The commanding officers submit a family to Santa Margarita Ford.

Contact the writer: 949-454-7308 or efields@ocregister.com

Ellie