PDA

View Full Version : Base recognizes Hardcore Warriors

thedrifter
12-08-07, 07:24 AM
Base recognizes Hardcore Warriors

JENNIFER HLAD
December 8, 2007 - 1:07AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Serving in one war is no easy task. But serving in three is hard core.

Twenty-three men who served in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War were saluted for their service Friday, honored as Hardcore Warriors in a ceremony at Camp Lejeune.

"At no other time in our history that I can think of ... have we had individuals involved in such sustained, harsh combat," said Paul O'Toole, a retired Marine Corps colonel and a member of the base's Military Retiree Council.

"We want to say thank you for what you did for this country and for the world," Col. Adele Hodges, Camp Lejeune's commanding officer, told the men.

Hodges presented each warrior with a framed proclamation, a piece of three-dimensional laser art and a coin. The warriors were invited to speak as they accepted the honor, but many chose to simply accept with a hug and a smile.

Retired Master Gunnery Sgt. Richard Geary was one who spoke up.

"I'm proud of this, and I'm very, very humbled," he said.

But as he received the award, he thought of the men who served to the left, right, front and back of him who are no longer living, Geary said.

Retired 1st Sgt. John Naccarato Jr. said he was surprised when he heard about the Hardcore Warrior honor.

"No one's ever approached me on anything," he said. "I'm just kind of a quiet person."

At first, he said, he "got kind of choked up."

Naccarato had to work to join the Marine Corps, he said. He was turned away three times by the recruiter because of a false tooth, and then told he could leave boot camp because of the replacement tooth. He finished recruit training and worked at Parris Island while waiting for the "higher ups" to allow him to be a Marine.

Being honored as a Hardcore Warrior "makes me feel great," he said.

Retired Gunnery Sgt. John Crazy Bear joined the Marine Corps at 15. He said he is as proud to be a Marine as he is of his Ogalala Sioux heritage, but said he never planned to serve in three wars.

"We just happened to be at the right place at the right time," Crazy Bear said.

George Barrows, a retired staff sergeant, was honored at another Hardcore Warrior ceremony in September, but he also helped distribute Friday's awards.

"Over three wars, we were never properly thanked for the service we did," Barrows said. "This is a thanks that has been long overdue and much appreciated."

Many of the veterans were shunned by the public when they returned from Vietnam and never got the thanks they deserved, Hodges said.

"We want to let them know they are not forgotten, and we appreciate them," she said.

Eighteen service members were honored as Hardcore Warriors on Friday, and an additional five will be honored privately. They are:

Master Gunnery Sgt. George E. Albertine

Master Sgt. Turner G. Blount

Gunnery Sgt. Paul G. Campbell

Staff Sgt. William J. Carter

Gunnery Sgt. John Crazy Bear

Master Sgt. Max E. Cribelar

1st Sgt. Ellis Cunningham

Master Gunnery Sgt. Robert J. Dunn

Petty Officer 1st Class James F. Gainer

Master Gunnery Sgt. Richard P. Geary

Lt. Col. Harold B. Hanig

Chief Petty Officer Blackledge E. Harper

Master Chief Petty Officer Worth M. Hinnant

Sgt. Maj. Domenick A. Irrera

Col. James D. Johnson

Master Sgt. Aubrey E. Lincoln Jr.

Master Gunnery Sgt. Paul T. Marcum

Sgt. Maj. Francis T. McNeive

1st Sgt. John M. Naccarato Jr.

Chief Warrant Officer Thomas B. Perrone Sr.

Gunnery Sgt. William E. Rust

Chief Master Sgt. William J. Smith

Petty Officer 1st Class Herman B. Taylor

Contact military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 8467. To comment on this story, visit www.jdnews.com.

Ellie