PDA

View Full Version : Time limit to qualify for VA disability

WheelerLT
12-04-07, 08:01 PM
I've been out of the Corps since 2000, and I never filed any disability with the VA, although I do have some. I have a copy of my medical records, but I'm not sure if I've waited too long to file. Does anyone know if it's still possible 7 years after the fact??

Finger
12-04-07, 08:08 PM
Yes, but don't wait too long. You will only screw yourself out of something you earned. Go to a VA servive center, DAV or some office like that. If your injuries were documented in your healt records, all the easier. It can be a long process, but well worth it if you have health issues.
Take it from an old fart Grunt who is all beat up :D

WheelerLT
12-04-07, 08:12 PM
Thanks Devildog!

sgt tony
12-04-07, 10:58 PM
Go now do not stop and get it filed now. Do not wait

oldtop
12-05-07, 09:48 AM
FYI: If a claim for disability is filed with the VA within 12 months of the date of seperation shown on your last form DD 214, the EFFECTIVE date of your claim will be the date of seperation. If...

WheelerLT
12-05-07, 10:49 AM
Good. and yes, I have been receiving continuing treatment, so it shouldn't be a problem. I contacted the VA yesterday, and I'm awaiting direction.

Thanks for all your input!

bigboy123
12-05-07, 04:16 PM
Valuable advice - what about for someone like me - medically discharges about 20 years ago - rated at 40% - but having alot of problems - same deal?

WheelerLT
12-05-07, 04:35 PM
Can't you just go back to the VA and get re-evaluated??? I'm not sure, I'm still learning the VA ropes

bigboy123
12-05-07, 04:36 PM
Can't you just go back to the VA and get re-evaluated??? I'm not sure, I'm still learning the VA ropes

I can - but from what I've heard you need to use "magic" language.

WheelerLT
12-05-07, 05:47 PM
That "magic" language is the key to anything concerning goverment, it seems. I've learned that if you want a civil service job, your resume has to contain the right words.

Unfortunately, I still don't know them, and that's why I'm still working as gov. contractor.

Robert Browell
12-05-07, 06:19 PM
As was stated before,there is no deadline to file for VA disability that is service connected!I opened my claim in '92,I last saw combat in late '67 and had been out of the Corps since '71!Took ten years to get to 100%! Don't be afraid to get a congressman involved,it's part of his job!Remember it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease!:usmc:

crate78
12-13-07, 12:56 PM
Your local VA office should assign you a representative from the American Legion, VFW, etc. A good rep will know exactly what language to use, which buttons to push, and overall how to handle your case to get it pushed through.

Also, don't give up. I had a service connection on my back denied twice for "lack of evidence" before I hit the right combination of records and doctor's statements to be awarded 30%. My AL rep told me exactly how to have my doctor word a letter stating that in his professional opinion my longterm back problems were likely as not the result of an episode documented in my military medical records. And once you have an award of any percentage, you can always file for re-evaluation to try to get the percentage bumped upwards.

crate

crate78
12-13-07, 01:01 PM
Your local VA office should assign you a representative from the American Legion, VFW, etc. A good rep will know exactly what language to use, which buttons to push, and overall how to handle your case to get it pushed through.

Also, don't give up. I had a service connection on my back denied twice for "lack of evidence" before I hit the right combination of records and doctor's statements to be awarded 30%. My AL rep told me exactly how to have my doctor word a letter stating that in his professional opinion my longterm back problems were likely as not the result of an episode documented in my military medical records. And once you have an award of any percentage, you can always file for re-evaluation to try to get the percentage bumped upwards.

crate

tmleadr03
12-20-07, 09:38 AM
Your VA rating can go up if you injury gets worse.

sundogusa
01-10-08, 10:12 AM
I'm at 20%. Went in for re-eval to up the percentage. Working on an appeal. A royal PIA.
Talking to some heavies for assistance--Congressman!

Good luck.

You can also start your process on-line. It is the initial date that matters.

ggyoung
01-10-08, 10:28 AM
You will be turned down the 1st time. You have to keep trying untill you get it.

guy4580
01-22-08, 10:50 PM
I'd like to throw you devil dogs a curve ball I got a med. discharge in 87 from usmc after they removed my spleen and spent 6 months in a hospital they claim it was from a heritary blood disorder...

tmleadr03
01-23-08, 08:08 AM
Med discharge makes it so you cant be a cub scout leader? I dont think so, I have not had a single door closed on me due to being medically discharged. Though I havent tried the cubscouts.

guy4580
01-23-08, 04:26 PM
i was exaggerating, (sarcaism) I am currently in the civil air patrol (2nd Lt) I wanted to stay in the corp had 2 written rebuttals 1 formal hearing and still got chopped. after a few years I tried getting in AF, and army but neither would even consider it they said with that code they cant do anything for me so I was screwed...