PDA

View Full Version : 92 Day Reservist Question

PatriotGirl422
12-04-07, 04:05 PM
Hey Marines,

As some of you know, I have recently been trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. I'm not going to get into all the details of why I'm asking this question, because it would be too many things to explain. So, I'll just get right to it: I am a 92 day reservist and am scheduled to go to MCT and my MOS school this summer. Would it be possible for me to go to MCT in January instead (I have a break from college from Dec 15- Jan 28), and still do my MOS school over the summer.
I want to get some of my training out of the way, and since they're making MCT 4 weeks instead of 3 starting in March, I'd like to do it before it gets extended (from what everyone's told me, MCT sucks).
Let me know if there's any possible way I could do this.

Buckeye
12-04-07, 04:22 PM
:marine: I was under the impression that,females bootcamp included MCT...that's why their bootcamp was longer than ours....they must have changed it....anyway not sure for reserves.

SlingerDun
12-05-07, 04:55 AM
I want to get some of my training out of the way, and since they're making MCT 4 weeks instead of 3 starting in March, I'd like to do it before it gets extended (from what everyone's told me, MCT sucks)Oh but just imagine when your an old salt you can tell the walleyed newbies: I was back in the Old Corps when they added a week to MCT training!

But seriously theres gotta be a good continuing education 'cutting edge' reason for this addition.

--->Dave

ZSKI
12-05-07, 10:10 PM
I was a 92 myself. Look MCT is that bad when we wern't just sitting on our ass(Most of the day) I had a blast. I'd try to do MCT after MOS so when they are all going to MOS your going home. You'd probally be a lance by that time too so you have a good chance at responsibility. Even though when i went those little bastards where they worst **** bags i have ever seen i had to throw the guide on at one of them to make them realize I'm not taking there ****. All you do pretty much is spend time in class rooms, kick knowledge and when you go to the range do the fun ****.

XBoxMarine
12-05-07, 10:40 PM
That's completely up to your chain of command. I did not go to MCT for 3 years, and the only reason I went is because they caught it when I volunteered for OIF.

Just talk it over with your Squad Leader, they like to get that initial training stuff out of the way so you can join them on annual training exercises. Not to mention they are required to maintain a specified level of "readiness." IE: No one temporarily not qualified for duty for medical reasons, on weight control, or unqualified as they lack their required training.

From a personal stand point. Honestly... having 3 years in at MCT is both a blessing and a curse. My buddy and I were both on the edge of Corporal when we went and we received a load of respect from the instructors; well I shouldn't say that we were just treated less "s---ty." He got Guide and I was 1st Squad Leader all the way through, though we were temporarily fired cause they put the platoon s---bags (Ooh-rah P.C.) in guide and squad leader positions for a day. The downside is you're treated like a boot again, which is a real kick in the butt to someone with time in their laid back unit. Though to the boots, MCT is heaven.

Some tips:

Do NOT get out of shape. I'm a three-year reservist and watched a bunch of boots fall out all around me; apparently all they did when they got home is stuff their faces with grease and sugar. (Man that made me feel good though, out-preforming some people in the shape of their lives.)

Smokers + Decent Smuggling Skills = EASY Money

MRE M&Ms and Milkshakes are gold, they trade off well:)

Finding an abandoned rifle in the head, which belongs to another company is priceless. The instructors will love you. Though you may want to make sure one of your own finds its way back to the owner for EVERYONE's sake.

As a guide or squad leader, expect to be up an hour before and after lights answering questions as most MCT Marines have no clue what to do without being micro-managed. Not to mention I checked my squad's packs before every hike to make sure none of them fell out.

Get used to standing in combat stance, you will do it a lot. (Shoulders squared towards target, one foot slightly ahead of the other, knees bent to a near sitting position, holding a rifle in the ready.)

Well good luck with everything, enjoy MCT and MOS School!

CRASH CORPORAL
12-08-07, 01:50 PM
Fill me in ..... Whats a 92 day reservist ?

Achped
12-08-07, 09:58 PM
A 92 day reservist in one that goes to boot camp in the summer, does an entire year of college, and returns to do MOS and MCT schooling the following summer...

Hate to burst your bubble patriot girl, but Im at Geiger right now, Ive been there for 3 months, and I know exactly of the "Crappy lance cpls" the Marine above is talking about.

MCT picks up again the 27th of Dec, that will be 4 weeks long, its the first training company thats doing the new schedule. Not in March, I wish that was so because Im picking up with MCT on January 8th with Fox Co and I dont graduate till Feb.