PDA

View Full Version : Camp LeJeune and Cell Phone Coverage

aisle209
12-04-07, 11:28 AM
Have a new Marine in MCT at Camp Pendleton who will be at Camp Lejeune / Camp Johnson 4 Jan.

We are going to give Alec a cell phone for Christmas and I was wondering which carrier worked the best out there? We now have T-Mobile and will be dropping it - no coverage at our own home.

This is really a present for Alec's mom so that she can talk to her Marine more often.

Thanks ahead of time.

PS - If you have time to waste - go here http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/images/Chevron/07Chevron/07Nov/071102/07Nov02.pdf

and look at the gas mask photo on page 7. That's my Marine in the top right corner.

Proffitt
12-04-07, 12:50 PM
I had Alltel as my carrier when I was there in MOS school. It worked perfectly. I don't know if you can get Alltel where you're located though. Not sure how far they've travelled. What is you new Marine's MOS?? Auto Mech?

thedrifter
12-04-07, 01:52 PM
Sprint...is the main one down here, but we do have Verizon too;)

Ellie

sassyred4953
12-04-07, 02:29 PM
My son is stationed at Camp Lejeune, (presently in Iraq) and he uses Cingular and never had any problems. I have Verizon and never had any trouble with it while at Lejeune, as well. Sprint was a nightmare (billing wise, and dropped calls). His girlfriend has T-Mobile and it didn't work half the time.

Hope this helps.

erased
12-04-07, 04:38 PM
I used T-mobile there from 2004 - May 2007 without any problems.

Brewer0311
12-04-07, 04:41 PM
Cingular, Verizon, Tmobile, Alltel, Embarq, Sprint. All work great here, but when he gets ready to deploy and goes to 29 Palms for Mojave Viper Alltell, Embarq and Sprint are the way to go. Verizon had none at all and the remaining had it in a few places. This is not counting mainside, just out in the field and on the Camp your Marine will stay at. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi!

Brewer

sassyred4953
12-04-07, 06:16 PM
Cingular, Verizon, Tmobile, Alltel, Embarq, Sprint. All work great here, but when he gets ready to deploy and goes to 29 Palms for Mojave Viper Alltell, Embarq and Sprint are the way to go. Verizon had none at all and the remaining had it in a few places. This is not counting mainside, just out in the field and on the Camp your Marine will stay at. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi!

Brewer

Well Brewer I beg to differ. My son was able to use his cell phone (Cingular) from 29 Palms quite well. Although, he did have to stand next to the head, walk 30 paces to the right, stand next to a metal pole, put his hand on the pole, take 2 steps away from the pole then dial his number. So you see it worked just fine. But some days he had to find the metal bleachers, walk to the top row, far right corner and lean over the edge to get reception, but he did get it. So I'd say Cingular will work, don't you? :D ;)

Brewer0311
12-04-07, 07:33 PM
Well Brewer I beg to differ. My son was able to use his cell phone (Cingular) from 29 Palms quite well. Although, he did have to stand next to the head, walk 30 paces to the right, stand next to a metal pole, put his hand on the pole, take 2 steps away from the pole then dial his number. So you see it worked just fine. But some days he had to find the metal bleachers, walk to the top row, far right corner and lean over the edge to get reception, but he did get it. So I'd say Cingular will work, don't you?

LOL! I went through that same exact process. Then I saw all the Marines with Alltell, Sprint and Embarq standing everywhere :( . But as they say "Adapt and Overcome". I got my Cingular signal and talked to my wife and mother almost everyday. :cool: I'm glad you got to talk to him while he was there. Its definately a great training area and there is a lot to talk about.

Semper Fi :marine: !
Brewer

Phantom Blooper
12-04-07, 07:37 PM
Can you hear me now? I have Sprint and had no problems for the past two years.:evilgrin:

aisle209
12-05-07, 12:59 PM
Now all I have to do is order the phones and pay the bill.

Thaks again