View Full Version : Family feels peace at Fremont soldier's grave

thedrifter
12-03-07, 08:55 AM
Family feels peace at Fremont soldier's grave
HOLIDAY-SEASON CEREMONY HONORS FREMONT MARINE
By Joshua Molina
Mercury News
Article Launched: 12/03/2007 01:37:00 AM PST

Standing next to his son's grave, John Layfield closed his crying eyes, threw his head back and chin up, and took a deep, long breath.

And then a smile filled his face. In a moment, a look of grief turned to peace.

"It is just happiness that I feel today," he said. "It is no longer despair."

On a cold, shivery Sunday at a San Bruno military cemetery, Layfield was among about 50 people who celebrated the life of Lance Cpl. Travis Layfield, a U.S. Marine from Fremont who was killed in Iraq on April 6, 2004.

The soldier was one of 20,000 Camp Pendleton Marines trying to fight off insurgents in and around Al-Fallujah and Ar-Ramadi when he was killed by enemy fire. Ten other Marines also died that day.

Travis Layfield was 19 years old.

Family members and friends gathered in front of his tombstone at the Golden Gate National Cemetery for a "Christmas with Travis" event. Sunday was also John Layfield's birthday.

Intended to honor the soldier's Lakota Sioux roots on his father's side, an American Indian ceremony featured the burning of sage and singing. At one point, everyone held hands and marched in a circle around the grave.

But the event also had a traditional holiday theme. Led by his mother, Diane, the crowd sang "The Little Drummer Boy" and "Silent Night," two of the soldier's holiday favorites.

At his tombstone were four roses, arranged to form a cross, two bouquets of flowers and a Christmas wreath. On a poster board, set up on a tripod, was a large photo of Layfield, his arms crossed and wearing a black shirt and a droopy Santa Claus hat.

Pictures of the 10 other Marines killed that day surrounded Layfield's photo.

Layfield is one of more than 3,870 American soldiers - at least 40 from the Bay Area - killed since the Iraq war began in 2003.

His mother choked up when she spoke to the crowd. Through halting pauses in her speech, Diane Layfield expressed her joy in seeing so many people support her son.

"You have no idea how much this means to our family," she said. "I am overwhelmed to see you today."

The Layfields, who divorced nearly 10 years ago, have taken different journeys to cope with their son's death. His mother joined "Operation: MOM," a support group for parents of military children that sends care packages to troops.

John Layfield took a more anti-war approach. For a few weeks in 2005, at a busy intersection in Fremont, he held up a sign that said: "George W. Bush/Stop the Killing of Our Kids/End this War NOW/From the Father of LCPL Travis James Layfield/K.I.A. 4-6-04."

On Sunday, both parents said the memory of their son, and his spirit, uplifted them.

"This has been the first ceremony that I have smiled at," he said. "I feel his presence."

Diane Layfield added: "Even though he's not here tonight, we feel him. He's just an incredible young man. He'll be missed forever."

Tiffany Hicks, Travis Layfield's sister, has let go of the hurt.

"I feel joyous," she said. "I don't shed tears because of the loss. I shed tears because I miss him. Travis is looking down on us and protecting us."

As the ceremony came to a close, the crowd shouted together: "Lance Cpl. Travis Layfield, we love you!"

A few seconds later, the tripod holding his photo suddenly blew over and fell to the ground, causing a few heads to turn and a brief stir among the crowd.

In their minds, it was almost as if he said "I love you" back.

Contact Joshua Molina at jmolina@mercurynews.com or (40 275-2002.

Ellie