PDA

View Full Version : Corvettes rev up for toy roundup

thedrifter
12-03-07, 08:30 AM
Corvettes rev up for toy roundup

JENNIFER HLAD
December 2, 2007 - 6:18PM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Fifteen years ago, Mike Casey learned that a few of his Marines were having money troubles and couldn’t afford to buy their children any presents for Christmas.

So Casey got an idea. He and a handful of friends from the Twin Rivers Corvette Club bought some toys and food and donated it all to the Marines in need in Casey’s unit, Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 26.

It didn’t stop there. Each year, more and more Corvette owners bought toys and food for the Marines in need.

Casey died this fall, but his idea is still growing.

Saturday, nearly 100 Corvettes drove aboard New River Air Station — packed with enough toys and food to make hundreds of holidays bright.

“I know how it is when you’re a lance corporal and you have a baby (to support),” said David Corter, a member of the Twin Rivers Corvette Club and longtime friend of Casey’s.

After Casey died, his wife, Phyllis, asked Corter to “help fulfill his dream,” Corter said.
Corter helped Phyllis Casey get the run organized, and helped direct the Corvettes as they lined up in the parking lot across from the air station Saturday morning.

He became emotional as he addressed the crowd of Corvette enthusiasts gathered outside of Muddy’s coffee house before the run.

“This was very dear to Mike Casey,” he said. “I really miss him. I’m glad you all came here (to support the run).”

“We’re just so happy to be able to do this,” Phyllis Casey said. “Christmas is about children, and I can’t see a child having nothing for Christmas.”

Casey served in Vietnam, then got out of the Marine Corps. He re-enlisted in 1982 as a lance corporal, when the family already had two children. He retired in 2002 after a total of 28 years in the Corps.

Partly because of the chilly reception Vietnam veterans received, it was important to Casey to support the troops, Phyllis Casey said.

He knew that if some of his Marines were having money troubles, they likely weren’t the only ones.

“My husband loved his troops, and they loved him,” Phyllis Casey said.

More than 50 members of the Myrtle Beach Corvette Club drove up from South Carolina to support the Twin Rivers club and the event.

Jim Summey, director of activities for the Myrtle Beach club, said it is important to them to be able to help the Marines.

“They do so much for us,” he said. “We love to do it for them.”

The toys, food and commissary gift certificates donated by the clubs will go to Marines in MALS 26 and other New River Air Station units.

Lt. Col. Chris French said he appreciates the help for Marines who are having trouble mak-ing ends meet.

The Marines and families who receive the donations are quite surprised, and “as happy as can be,” said Sgt. Maj. Jimmie Blair, the MALS 26 sergeant major.

“It boils down to sometimes needing a helping hand,” he said.

The bicycles, stuffed animals, games, trucks, rocking horses, dolls, Legos, basketballs and other toys will go a long way, French said.

“It’s amazing how many toys a Corvette can hold,” he said.

Contact military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 8467.

Ellie