PDA

View Full Version : With the ‘Marne 500’ in Iraq

thedrifter
04-08-03, 07:54 AM
04-07-2003

With the ‘Marne 500’ in Iraq

Editor’s Note: This is a message forwarded to SFTT.org from an Army officer serving with the 3rd Infantry Division artillery. It arrived during the week of March 31 at the time of widespread news media reports that the campaign had bogged down.

Things are going pretty well. We just gotten to a bit of a lull in the battle, and had to hook up the internet to request some repair parts. Tell everyone not to listen to the news that says everything is going to ****. I have a sneaking suspicion that that impression is not being given accidentally. Probably shouldn't say more. Let's just say it's not a bad thing if the Iraqis think we're on our ass.

We have only had one enemy-caused KIA in the Third Infantry Division. At this point in the [1991] Gulf War (supposedly a smashing success) the United States had more than 150. A sniper got a lucky shot at a poor tank driver during a refuel just about 5 kilometers away from us. He had just stuck his head out, and he had his helmet and his vest on, but the guy got him in the neck from about 800 meters. Rumor is the other guys in the unit found the guy and beat him to death, literally. But that's just a rumor, and Army rumors have a way of getting colorful. I have no idea what actually happened.

So far, everything is going according to plan. Really, there hasn't been anything all that interesting as far as Iraqi surprises. The Saddam Fedayeen are pussies, and we're kicking their collective ass. These are the dedicated Ba’ath party members in each of these little towns that will be killed by their neighbors as soon as Hussein is overthrown, so they have nothing to lose in fighting to the death to maintain the regime.

A lot of the POWs that we’ve taken have said that these Saddam Fedayeen guys have come to the regular army units that wanted to capitulate and told them that they would kill their children and rape their wives if they surrendered. This should give you a general impression about the situation over here.

Every night during the update there's a phrase something like, “We killed approximately 150 dismounts ... ” tossed in innocuously with a bunch of maintenance and supply data that the Brigade Commanders brief to the Division Commander over the tactical satellite radio.

We are invading a country that has had 12 years to prepare, has prepared defensive positions, and knows the terrain, people and their own capabilities. I know we've killed more than 500 in the past week or so, only the guys that actively confronted us and so far they've gotten one guy on a lucky shot. You tell me how you think we're doing. From what it sounds like, the press is playing our “setbacks” up way too much.

It's so funny. Everyone expects all modern military combat to be over in three days or so. This isn't Grenada or Panama and this isn't Desert Storm. We are invading a country that doesn't want us to be here with little to no cooperation from allies and neighbors. We have a long way to drive. Just getting there is going to take a while.

Speaking of which, the real danger over here is driving. We've had quite a few people killed in accidents. It was the same way during the Gulf War. Driving is a lot more dangerous than combat. There have been times where I've been driving at night with no lights, wearing NODs, in conditions so dusty that I couldn't see the IR tail lights of the vehicle three feet in front of me. There are vehicles turned over on either side of the road, which has steep drop-offs on either side, every few miles the whole way up here.

I'm driving a high-back HMMWV (humvee) with a trailer and driving has been a bit hectic. I'm riding with my sergeant major and a very good private 1st class. We have the ultimate setup. In the back (this HMMWV has a large cargo area in the back) we have set up a bed that allows you to lay flat and stretch out, so one of us sleeps while another drives, and another rides shotgun (literally). Pfc S--- is great, but is scared to drive in the dark, so I wear the NODs (night optical devices), take sergeant major's 9-mm. Beretta, load a round into the chamber, put it on safe, and lay it on the dash next to my steering wheel so I can shoot with my right hand while I drive and all I have to do is flip it off of safe with my thumb and squeeze off the first round double-action.

I give my M-16 to sergeant major and he aims out the right window, locked and loaded, with the weapons on safe while we drive. So far, we haven't had to fire a round in anger. During our second night of driving, we were stopped with all the lights off when we heard an explosion on the right, and saw tracers go by. We all emptied out of the truck and got flat on the ground. We were looking at the house next to us, and thought the rounds might have come from there, and we saw people moving around inside. It was a little tense. Sergeant Y--- , one of our NCOs, saw someone moving in the doorway with his NODs, and I saw it too. We had our weapons trained on the door, as there had been a lot of ambushes along this road.

They were crouching down, and then we saw it was just a mother sweeping some dirt out of her door. She brought her kids inside, and turned out the lights. It was completely dark and we hadn't seen the kids. Later on, we found out that the unit behind us in the convoy had been engaging enemy to our front and right and we had seen their tracers go by on the right, and the explosion had been them shooting their Mark-19 automatic grenade launcher.

Morale is high. We have had a couple of injuries, but none serious. Our first sergeant got his HMMWV run over by a HMMT, a military equivalent of a semi, and it was just destroyed. He went to the field hospital for a couple of days of observation, and he's back now. We were all worried about him, but he's okay. Yesterday, we found out one of the privates 1st class, a little guy who looks like W---, has this really thick Georgia backwoods accent and is a real favorite around the TOC lost his two-month-old daughter to illness. He saw her once right before he deployed. We're sending him back home on emergency leave, but that's just about the worst thing that's happened since we've been here, as far as the DIVARTY is concerned. You all can pray for him and his wife.

continued.........

thedrifter
04-08-03, 07:54 AM
The next few nights of driving were similar, with mortar fires and small skirmishes happening around us, but not so close that we were ever in real danger. You can see the tracers and the mortar fire flying through the air with your NODs and every now and then you can hear the Apache attack helicopters or A-10s fly over, and they give you a warm fuzzy feeling. Our convoy stopped just outside of the fight that was going on the first day outside of Al Nasiriyah, and we watched the Apaches and A10s strafe and bomb the road about four miles ahead where the fight was going on.

So far, we haven't seen any direct action. We're hoping to keep it that way, but things could get interesting in the upcoming weeks. So far we've fought the reluctant benchwarmers from the Iraqi JV team, and some very motivated amateurs, but we're about to take on the Medina Division, which is Iraq's professional army. These guys are well trained and have good equipment, so it will be a different fight. We will still massacre them, don't get me wrong, but it will be a different kind of battle. It will be much more textbook-grade conventional warfare rather than the “Marne 500” as we are currently referring to it. The Marne 500 is like the Indy 500, only longer, with no lights, a whole lot of dust, and people trying to kill you with AK-47s and RPGs (rocket propelled grenades) – think Blackhawk Down.

I have respect for the Iraqis. There is, I think, an increasing realization that a bunch of guys a lot like us are sitting in headquarters a lot like ours trying to figure out how to beat us with a lot fewer guys and a lot older equipment. They feel like they are protecting their country from an invader (and they are) and are doing their best to mount a decent defense in depth. They're doing what they can with limited resources and desperate tactics. They're actually making a go of it, and trying to go down with a fight rather than rolling over, and as a professional soldier, you at least have to respect that.

From what we've seen of the Medina, they’re professionals, and don’t act like the untrained kids with guns that we've seen so far. They're not rushing into things and are trying to set themselves up as well as they can. As those of us who have played WarCraft have seen, you're always better off in the defense when you have the option. It's too bad we're going to have to send them through the Air Force blender on puree. War is never pleasant, and rarely makes sense as we now see.

At any rate, things are going well. The Third Infantry Division Artillery is delivering accurate, responsive fires, exactly like the Iraqis can’t, and is a big part of why we’re winning. For the uninitiated, artillery basically means shooting a big (100 pound) round about 20-30 Kilometers to a ten-digit map grid point with about one-meter accuracy. This means that our guys who are out front can see the enemy, not be anywhere near close enough to engage them, but just give us a call on the radio and we can blow them to hell without them ever knowing what happened or, in some cases, our friendly forces even giving away their position. We can do this in any kind of weather (unlike the Air Force) and about 180 seconds after the original radio call comes in.

The Iraqis actually have better guns and more guns than we do. You know that Crusader thing that Congress cut? Yeah. Most people don't know that while the USA has the world's best military, we probably have the world's third or fourth best artillery, behind the Brits and South Africa. The Crusader system that Congress cut would have put us back on top again, but no, Don Rumsfeld thinks the artillery is the past. Well, it’s saved a lot of American lives out here in this war.

The Iraqis have the South African G5, one of the best artillery pieces currently in production in the world. They don't have that many, but the thing that really kills them is the fact that they can't adjust fires on a target like we can. They don't have the training and the communication to pull it off. Instead, they kind of shoot in our general direction or at preplanned targets on roads or other key terrain, and so far, despite all the thousands of rounds of indirect fire (as artillery is referred to in military jargon) the only damage they've managed to accomplish in 3ID is some shrapnel in the ass of some unlucky soldier a couple of battalions over. Thanks for playing, but no teddy bear. Sorry.

What's even worse is that we have these radars that tell us exactly where they are when they shoot. We get the general impression that these poorly-trained regular army guys in the south didn't know about this. As soon as they shoot, we shoot back with MLRS, which is a multiple-bomblet rocket that destroys everything in about one square kilometer. Everything. I think the word has gotten out because they don't shoot artillery much any more.

Well, we're all fine here. Just dirty. Very dirty. I haven't taken a shower since the war started. Food consists of MREs and bottled water, which is a little bland, but MREs have gotten a lot better in the past few years, and like I've always said, the taste quality of the MRE is directly proportional to how hungry and tired you are. We're moving too fast for mail, but once things slow down I'll get everything so keep sending stuff. I'll probably get a huge stack when we finally stop.

Don't worry about me. Things are fine, and no one is particularly worried or panicked or anything like that. Mostly we just miss our families and the comforts of home. This just kind of feels like a very long, very crappy day at work. A day at work that never, ever ends. Ever. Other than that, it’s great. The best and the worst of the experience over here is the people. There are a few (very few) folks here with whom I will probably be friends for life, and others that as I said to Capt. C---, the JAG officer, “If they were on fire, I wouldn't **** on them to put them out.” Yee-ha. Love the Army.

Well, I'm signing off for now. Everybody keep the email coming. Looks like Internet will come up intermittently from time to time, so I should get it, and probably sooner than snail mail. Everyone keep in touch.

Sempers,

Roger