PDA

View Full Version : The Uniform

thedrifter
12-01-07, 01:25 PM
The Uniform
Posted By Blackfive

Via Seamus and Jim B. is this email from a newly minted USMC Second Lieutenant about the Marine Corps Birthday:

MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY BALL
12 NOVEMBER
BALTIMORE MARYLAND
HOST; LTCOL HALL USMC (Ret)

I walked into the house where the ball was being held and I immediately saw an old Marine in his Dress Blues bearing the rank of a Private First Class. I waited until the herd around him cleared and I approached him to find out his story. He was wearing a Purple Heart on his chest and I proceeded to ask him where he was awarded this medal.

He told me that he was shot on the Island of Iwo Jima during WWII in 1945. I asked him to elaborate and he looked around and pointed at the chair behind him and said, "Have a seat young man." We sat down and he fumbled around for the words to express what happened that day in February 1945 and he got choked up and said that he cannot tell me much of what happened even though he thinks about it everyday. He revealed very little information and then humbly pointed to his son and told me that if I wanted to know what really happened I should to ask him. So I did...

This is the story of PFC "Uncle Al" United States Marine...

He enlisted at 17 with the required signature of his parents. Because of his athletic ability and his speed they made him a runner for the Company Commander. These were the days when the runner actually had to run. His boat landed on the beach of Iwo Jima, opposite the side of the famous Mount Suribachi. The Company Commander ran up the shore and over the hill to survey. The Captain deemed the shore all clear and turned to call for his runner, PFC Uncle Al, following orders like a good Marine, came blitzing up the shore to take his position next to the Captain. As he was running, a Japanese sniper shot him with a bullet that went through his right eye and exited through his left jaw. During this bloody battle, only the Marines who the corpsman thought were going to! live were evacuated. So Uncle Al, having received a bullet wound to the head was passed over for evacuation. He hung on for two days until they realized that he was still very much alive and could survive. They took him to the hospital and they repaired his face and sent him home.

Uncle Al stood before the guests of the ball as the oldest Marine present and gave a speech. This 78 year-old former PFC emotionally confessed that the Dress Blue uniform that he was wearing tonight was the first time he had ever put on that distinguished uniform. His family had heard that he was invited to this ball and had the uniform made so he could appear in it before us. As he gave his brief speech he claimed that he would re-enlist all over again if he had the chance.

As a proud Second Lieutenant, wearing his Dress Blues with a bold strut and a confidence that could be seen by a blind man, I just stood there, humbled and crushed, feeling unworthy to wear the same uniform as this former Private First Class. I failed to remember that the only reason this uniform that I was wearing is distinguished is because of men like PFC Uncle Al. I just casually put it on and thought to myself, "Wow, this is the best looking uniform in the world!" I was definitely proud to put it on, yet I neglected to acknowledge its blood-stained legacy. I got a glimpse that night of what it really means to bear the title of a United States Marine. Here before me was a man who had every right to boast yet he didn't even want to talk about himself rather he wanted me, as a young Marine, to never forget those Marines who fought on every Island in the Pacific and who never had the chance to put on that proud uniform.

This is the legacy of our nation's Marine Corps and a reminder of the valiant Marines who have secured and continue to secure that legacy.

2Lt Barnes, Fox Company, TBS

Ellie