View Full Version : 12-year-old provides inspiration to his Marine brother

thedrifter
11-29-07, 07:50 AM
12-year-old provides inspiration to his Marine brother
11/28/2007, 11:08 am

By Janet Cremer
janetcremer@daily-journal.com
815-937-3384

When 18-year-old Josh Tempco recently withstood the mental and physical test of endurance known in Marine recruit training as "The Crucible," he undoubtedly had moments when he thought about his inspirational younger brother, Tyler.

Over the two days of "The Crucible," recruits must march 45 miles while undergoing other grueling mental and physical challenges, all with scant food and little sleep. It's the concluding challenge of Marine Boot Camp -- a make-or-break-it period in the careers of aspiring Marines.

In his darkest hours, when things seemed absolutely unendurable, Josh certainly gained resolve thinking about the trials his 12-year-old brother Tyler has already faced remarkably, having been born without hands and with an underdeveloped jaw.

It was natural, then, for Josh to pass along to his younger brother the "dog tag" he received from a Marine chaplain from which he had drawn strength during The Crucible challenge. Deeply incised into the metal are the words, "I will be strong and courageous. I will not be terrified or discouraged. For the Lord my God is with me wherever I go."

"I don't take it off very much," said the rural Momence boy, fiddling with the thin metal tag.

Its inscription has defined his very being since the day he was born.

Ellie