View Full Version : Soldiers of all ages recountexperiences

thedrifter
11-28-07, 06:30 AM
Soldiers of all ages recountexperiences
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
By PATRICIA MUNSON
For the Madison Spirit patricia122.times@knology.net

Wounded Warriorsimpressive duringVeterans Day events

Twenty-year-old Lance Cpl. John Hermann from Woodbridge, Va., had just joined the Marines, gone through initial training, and was at Camp Pendleton when his Battalion commanding officer told his unit, Infantry Regiment 11, that they were going to Iraq.

"Once we got to Abu Ghraib, we hit the ground running, raid after raid on high-value targets," he said.

Hermann was there for three months exactly, the same day he was supposed to get promoted, when he "got popped." A sniper's bullet hit him in the top of the shoulder and the bullet came out his back.

"The day I got shot we were out on patrol and I just remember hearing a crack and it felt like someone hit me in the shoulder, and my legs were twitching uncontrollably. I couldn't control it and everything just started going black. I pulled down my sunglasses and everything's still black. My buddy runs up and says, 'Man, you've been shot.' and he has his rifle right behind my head. You hear another round come downrange, bounces off his magazine and hits him in the shoulder.

"I thank him. I tried to thank him as much as I could before they left for Iraq again, but he actually saved my life because that round that hit him was actually going for my head, and if he didn't have his rifle right there - I owe him my life and the doctors, keeping me safe and getting me to the hospital," Hermann said.

Fifteen Marines and one sailor, members of the Wounded Warrior Regiment, shared similar stories with their hosts over Veterans Day weekend. From Friday afternoon when they were welcomed at Huntsville International Airport by members of the Semper Fi Community Task Force (SFCTF) and the community, until Tuesday when they attended a job fair, they were treated to a weekend of recognition and appreciation, which included a stay at the Embassy Suites hotel, the Heroes 5K Run as part of the Huntsville Half Marathon, the United States Marine Corps Birthday Ball, a Tennessee Titans Sunday Football game in Nashville, along with a tailgate party and the Veterans Parade on Monday where "Vets with 'Vettes" drove the Wounded Warriors in their Corvettes in the parade.

Marine Col. Gregory Boyle, commanding officer of the Wounded Warrior Regiment headquartered at Quantico, Va., spoke at the Marine Corps ball on Saturday night. He said other organizations have done single events but no one has done a four-day program and he hoped that this is something that might be a model for other communities throughout the country, since the need is so great.

Madison Mayor Sandy Kirkindall, who himself served in the U.S. Army, attended the Friday night reception at the Huntsville Depot Round House, and he spent quite a bit of time talking with the Marines.

"Wearing the uniform, either in peacetime or in wartime, entails sacrifice and these guys have sacrificed much more than others. It was heartwarming and heart wrenching at the same time to see these brave young guys there and knowing that these guys have put everything on the line for you, for our country.

"One of them made an interesting comment that it was nice going to the hockey game and having people express their appreciation. It's nice having people welcome you home, but what they have gotten in their reception in Madison County has been validation of their service and their sacrifice," Kirkindall said.

On Sunday evening, the Madison Christian Church hosted a Steak and Bake in honor of the Wounded Warriors.

Jim Samuelson, a member of Madison Christian Church and fundraising chairman for the SFCTF, said that this is the second veterans dinner the church has held, and because he was involved in bringing the Wounded Warriors to town, church members suggested they invite them to be honored.

"It was a marvelous, marvelous program. A whole lot of people were speechless at the young men and how fine they are. It was great to see how many people from Madison that were not regular members of our church came to help, along with the members of the SFCTF.

"I don't know how to say how humbly proud I am. It's an honor and a privilege - I am just in awe of these kids, Samuelson said.

Madison Councilman Bob Wagner with his wife Sally served at the dinner and Bob, a former Marine, took his stint as "grill master" to help cook the steaks.

Samuelson said that members of the church have asked him to get mailing addresses for all of them so they can send Christmas cards and gifts.

"This is something that the church is going to try to continue to participate in and help in, and if anybody is interested in helping the church, the Marine Moms and the SFCTF get gifts and cards to the Wounded Warriors, they are welcome," Samuelson said.

The Wounded Warrior Regiment was created in April by the Marine Corps as a way of assisting wounded Marines as they come back into civilian life.

The Semper Fi Community Task Force (SFCTF) is a gathering of Marines that exists to render voluntary service and support to the North Alabama Community.

Any Marine past, present or future who wishes to add their time and talents is welcome.

"One thing we have promised ourselves (the SFCTF) is that never are we going to have a situation where they (veterans) don't get received in the way that they should. That's one of our main goals," said Samuelson.

Sgt. David Aquirre, a Marine for four years and deployed to Iraq four times, and a member of the Wounded Warrior Regiment said that "One of the things I've found the past few days, all these Marines, the former military members, is they have a lot to teach all of us, not just us as a Marine but as a person. They have the discipline and they have the knowledge that most of us don't have.

"Most of these people are Vietnam veterans and they didn't have that opportunity, that support, and that's what they're trying to do for us now give us the support that they never received. Even though it is different times, different type of war, we can relate to all the things we've been through - side effects, losing friends, old memories. So we can relate to that, not just the fact that they're former Marines but all the things that happened to us at different times that we can relate to. It's incredible talking to some of the veterans. I felt like I went home this weekend," said Aquirre.

Samuelson said that all of the Wounded Warriors are remarkable young men and everyone who interacted with them over the Memorial Day weekend was touched.

Former Marine Joe Bongiovanni said that as he talked with Hermann throughout the weekend, he learned that the bullet came very close to Hermann's heart and he went into cardiac arrest two times as he was operated on. Despite that, Bongiovanni said that Hermann has re-enlisted in the Marine Corps.

"When they were in the parade in Huntsville, there was a Vietnam veteran who was a double amputee in a power wheelchair, and several of the Wounded Warriors got out of the Corvettes they were riding in to go over and shake his hand and thank him. These guys are remarkable," Samuelson said.

Samuelson and his wife Lucy have a son at Parris Island Marine Corps Recruit Depot who will graduate on December 7, go on to training at Camp LeJeune and then on into the fleet Marine Force.

Samuelson said that he would like to say that the SFCTF is now going to relax and wait until next year, but that's not the case. They are now are jumping in with the Marine Corps Reserves for the annual Toys for Tots drive, and he says that the SFCTF is planning on hosting the Wounded Warriors again next year.

Ellie