PDA

View Full Version : Army Medic (and Miss Utah) Competing in Miss America Pageant

thedrifter
11-27-07, 03:27 PM
Army Medic (and Miss Utah) Competing in Miss America Pageant
Posted By Blackfive

http://www.blackfive.net/main/images/2007/11/26/armymil20071120100022.jpg

Photo Sgt. Maj. Prater

GI Jill, Sergeant Jill Stevens, a Utah National Guard Medic and OEF veteran, is someone you can be proud of and support on January 26, 2008, when she competes in the Miss America Pageant.

As a National Guard soldier in College, her university pageant director convinced her to compete. She scoffed at the idea.

...A combat medic and Miss Utah 2007, Sgt. Jill Stevens is a member of the Utah National Guard's 1st Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment. She will chronicle her preparation and competition in the Miss America pageant at www.army.mil/gijill.

The pageant will be broadcast live on TLC, and a new reality series will air the night before to help viewers get to know each of the 52 contestants. Sgt. Stevens will also be featured in the cover story of the December issue of Soldiers magazine.

Sgt. Stevens had just started nursing school at Southern Utah University in the fall of 2005 when the school's pageant director recruited her to run for Miss SUU.

"I was like, 'Yeah, right.' I wear combat boots; I don't do heels," she said...

Thanks to Chuck Simmons at America's North Shore Journal for getting the word out. Chuck has a lot more at his blog, including some photos of SGT Stevens in Afghanistan.

www.army.mil/-news/2007/11/19/6164-soldier-journals-her-run-at-miss-america/

northshorejournal.org/index.php/2007/11/gi-jill-army-medic-competes-for-miss-america

Ellie