PDA

View Full Version : Camp Foster road renamed in honor of fallen Marine

thedrifter
11-27-07, 08:08 AM
Camp Foster road renamed in honor of fallen Marine

By Lance Cpl. Daniel R. Todd, MCB Camp Butler

CAMP FOSTER, OKINAWA, Japan (Nov. 26, 2007) -- The street in front of the Vehicle Registration Office on Camp Foster was dedicated as Captain Brock Road during a ceremony Nov. 16.

The dedication was held to honor Capt. Sean L. Brock, who lost his life Feb. 2, 2005 while conducting combat operations against enemy forces in Anbar Province during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Brock volunteered for the individual augment assignment while serving as the commander of Company A, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base Camp Butler.

Col. Russell Jones, Headquarters and Service Battalion commander; Capt. Bolivar Pluas, Alpha Company commander; and Rayme Brock, Capt. Brock’s fraternal twin brother, unveiled a memorial during the ceremony.

Jones said that while he never had the chance to meet Brock, from everything he has heard and read about him, he knows he was a great man and Marine.

Seven hours before Brock died, he made a phone call to Rayme offering words of encouragement, which is a testament to the type of person Brock was, Rayme said.

“The entire time we were on the phone, he was trying to cheer me up because I was going through some relationship problems,” Rayme said. “I felt terrible, thinking ‘here I am supposed to be cheering you up; you’re in a hostile environment like Iraq and you’re calling me telling me to cheer up.’”

Rayme said he is impressed by the camaraderie displayed by Marines who served with
his brother.

“When we heard about the ceremony, my family and I were touched by the care, love and
dedication that the Marine Corps has shown, continuing to remember my brother for who he was and what he did,” Rayme said. “There is no way to describe it; you just don’t see that kind of camaraderie often.”

At http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com, messages from fellow service members and
friends give those who didn’t have the chance to meet Brock an idea of his character and
leadership.

A message posted on the Web site by Cpl. Brent T. Willoughby a year after Brock’s death attested to Brock’s ability to lead and inspire Marines who came to know him. Brock was Willoughby’s first commanding officer when Willoughby served with Company A.

“I remember the day they had the change of command ceremony outside of Barracks 217. It was the largest turnout of troops I can recall for a ceremony during my time on Okinawa,” he wrote in the message. “He led by example and was respected by all who had the chance to serve with him.”

“Each time I put on this uniform, I hold my head high because I know what it stands for and I know that this country exists today because of heroes like Capt. Brock who have paid the ultimate sacrifice,” Willoughby wrote.

Ellie