PDA

View Full Version : Sound Off!!!

millar123
11-26-07, 04:17 PM
All those Marines that live and have lived on ship, tell the rest of us what ship you were or are on, when, and how it was/is.

Lcpl Miller USS Essex, 2007 and current, Big ship hard to get around.

Buckeye
11-26-07, 04:45 PM
:evilgrin: I could tell ya,but then I'd have to KILL YA....:no:

Ed Palmer
11-26-07, 04:56 PM
18 Days on the LUXURY LINER APA USS J C BRECKINRIDGE
in the heart of a typhoon sept 1960.
stacked 12 high in the lovely forward hold,with about 1500 stinking Marines.,and beleive me with a tea cup of water a day to shlt,shower and shave with, we all smelt pretty rank

thewookie
11-26-07, 05:14 PM
11 days total, thank God!

We locked the gates at Olongapo in 1992 and left for Hong Kong on the cruise-liner USS Dubuque or DePuke.

I puked the whole way there, well until I ran out. Attributed to high seas, and purging myself from Olongapo!

We spent 5 days in Hong Kong on pure libo, drinking like a fish and partying like rock stars.

Then we got back on the Dubuque and went to join the battalion in Oki, and I puked the whole way there, or until I ran out. Attributed to high seas and purging myself from Hong Kong!

SlingerDun
11-26-07, 05:35 PM
Coral Sea, Belleau Wood, Kilauea...you can have em all i'm a land hand and no i did not enlist in or ask to join the freaking Navy!

--->dave

SlingerDun
11-26-07, 05:51 PM
Attributed to high seas and purging myself...Hey those high seas and heavy winds around Japan are no joke in the winter time. I never did yack:sick: but found it hard to keep from snagging cargo pockets on passageway widgets and keeping a grip on a victual tray and bug juice while trying to feed, the mess decks were quiet when the ship was pitching like a cork.

--->Dave

Tilly
11-26-07, 06:25 PM
3 months pvt phillips aussie and korea

3531marine
11-26-07, 06:33 PM
Yea Dave That's No Sh-t About The Sea Of Japan. We Left Diago In January 65 On The Gaffney Was On Mess Duty All 21 Days To Oki. Dirty Stinking Bucket Mike

sparkie
11-26-07, 06:47 PM
USS Tripoli, LPH 10. 3 Months. had a lovely Christmas. { Started to enjoy Pakistani music ]

OLE SARG
11-26-07, 07:26 PM
USS Barrett in 1963 enroute to Okinawa, Japan, for 30 days. AND we went through a typhoon!!!!!! Talk about a mix-master!!!!! We had some Marines so seasick they couldn't drink water!!

SEMPER FI,

crate78
11-26-07, 07:53 PM
Two months aboard the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga, eight months aboard the aircraft carrier USS Lake Champlain in the Suez area, one month aboard the aircraft carrier USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, a couple of weeks aboard an AKA from Puerto Rico to Morehead City, NC, a couple of weeks aboard an LST from Japan to Taiwan, a trip from San Diego to Japan on the Breckenridge. Maybe some I've missed.

I used to delight in comparing notes with sailors, even Chiefs, and finding I had more time aboard ship than they did.

On the LST from Japan to Taiwan, one of the crew on the LST had been in grade school with me. That made the local newspaper.

crate

Tilly
11-26-07, 08:51 PM
USS Barrett in 1963 enroute to Okinawa, Japan, for 30 days. AND we went through a typhoon!!!!!! Talk about a mix-master!!!!! We had some Marines so seasick they couldn't drink water!!

SEMPER FI,

I went through one of those too, on the way back from Australia to Oki

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/zashertilly/c8724edc.jpg

mrbsox
11-26-07, 08:53 PM
USS Cleveland, LPD 4 ?? about a week '76
USS Iwo Jima, LPH 3 ?? Westpac '76 to '77
USS Portland, LSD 37, Med '77 to '78
USS Nassau, LHA 4, to GitMo and back '79

Can't recall the numbers on the Cleveland and Iwo for sure. Maybe the Cleveland was '7'.

Best nights sleep I remember was riding out a storm out on the way back from the Med. About 2 days out of Rota, dropped sea anchor, flooded the well deck, and rode it out for @ 2 days. Just rocked ya to sleep. :)

bucksgted
11-26-07, 09:06 PM
Two months aboard the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga, eight months aboard the aircraft carrier USS Lake Champlain in the Suez area, one month aboard the aircraft carrier USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, a couple of weeks aboard an AKA from Puerto Rico to Morehead City, NC, a couple of weeks aboard an LST from Japan to Taiwan, a trip from San Diego to Japan on the Breckenridge. Maybe some I've missed.

I used to delight in comparing notes with sailors, even Chiefs, and finding I had more time aboard ship than they did.

On the LST from Japan to Taiwan, one of the crew on the LST had been in grade school with me. That made the local newspaper.

crate
Ah, Crate ole buddy, that was the LST1170, The Windham County!! Remember her well. My compartment was just aft of the chain locker. Needless to say, but I slept better on deck than I did in my rack.:D

greensideout
11-26-07, 09:34 PM
USS Princeton, LPH-5. Games on Mendora Island, back to Oki then back out to sea heading to Vietnam, 1962. The racks were 8 deep and you had to slide out to turn over. We hit a typhoon, the destroyers with us were going completely under the high waves. What a ride! I picked an MOS that I thought would keep me off of a ship. Wrong!, not as a Marine!!! :marine:

Wyoming
11-26-07, 09:58 PM

Princeton, Iwo Jima and Tripoli.

Sometime in '66 & '67.

If it hadn't of been for us being able to sleep in our 46's, I'da died.

Went below to eat chow once a day, with our green CC vests on so we could go to the head of the line, and then a quick SS&S.

We begged to make the mail runs, where we would pickup real food and beer.

I remember the CO asking for volunteers to get off and stay at Marble, and miss out on the ride to the PI's. I stayed and don't regret it one bit.

My PI experience was by air, and I was in a bit of pain.

crate78
11-27-07, 01:05 PM
Glad you refreshed my memory on the Windham County, Ed. I did the same thing. I used our compartment to shower, shave, and change clothes, but when it came time to sleep, I simply sprawled arcoss the seat of a truck on deck.

Do you remeber when we disembarked on Taiwan, a SSGT Jack McClure tried to pull an equipment trailer down the ramp with a Jeep? About half way down, it became apparent the trailer weighed a lot more than the Jeep. They wound up at the bottom of the ramp with the trailer jammed against the back of the Jeep, with the trailer tongue straight up, and the back of the Jeep about four feet off the deck.

crate

Big Jim
11-27-07, 04:17 PM
I was on the DuBuque twice in 85, the Peoria and the Duluth in 87 before I re-upped and came back to the land of the big PX! In 3rd Recon, we were always in the bush and always going somewhere...I loved it!!

outlaw3179
11-27-07, 05:05 PM
USS Boxer 1 year of my life. 2 six month deployments , not that bad. 30 % of the crew were females. :)

cball
11-29-07, 08:57 AM
My buddy Dave Kittsmiller now deceased served on the USS Boxer in 1962 (the old Boxer)CV 21 light carrier..
c ball

thedrifter
11-29-07, 08:59 AM
For You Marines making a sticky ;)

exnitro
11-29-07, 09:14 AM
Rode some kind of flat bottom boat from DaNang to Subic Bay. Two days of total sea sickness. Every Marine on the boat was sick. Left Subic on the Valley Forge LPH-8 headed back to Nam. It rode great and the food was good too. Was on and off the Forge for about 7 months.

Rowdy1948
11-29-07, 10:15 AM
MED CRUISE IN 1969 Ship USS York County LST Not much fun at times, Six Monthes On her.Semper Fi

Crusader20
11-29-07, 10:17 AM
USS Nashiville Med float '95 Six months
USS Ponsa ? Med float '93 six months
USS Kercsage ?? Haiti 1 month

Cramped, crowded conditions. Never any hot water and you always run out of milk.

You really get to know your squad and how and why they joined the Corps.

Best part. 10 green 10 blue to flight deck MAIL CALL!!

bucksgted
11-29-07, 03:57 PM
MED CRUISE IN 1969 Ship USS York County LST Not much fun at times, Six Monthes On her.Semper Fi
Who did you **** off to have to spend 6 months aboard an LST?:D

sparkie
11-30-07, 08:42 PM
6 MO on an LST cork? Wow. Talk 'bout pukin.
Let me talk about Christmas, on the Tripoli, LPH. We were 30 days in circles cause of the India-Pakistan war, 1971. Christmas was cancelled so we could Unrep with the Kansas City. We were out of everything. Fuel being pumped over Boswans lines, and us and the Swabbies stowing supplies all day. [Got to work hard with a few good swabbies].
Some of us on deck saw a chopper coming in. A CH53 I think. Was about 1000 yds off carrying 3 blue bags on cable, When the cable snapped. Chopper was OK, But those blue bags were mail. Our christmas mail. Addressed to Davie Jones.
Christmas was resumed the 26th. No more powdered everything, plus showers. Best non-Christmas I ever had.

Rowdy1948
11-30-07, 09:06 PM
Sgt i still have nightmares about that voiage across the Med.LOL.

bailesrj
11-30-07, 09:13 PM

SEMPER FI,i hope i did this right i was on the barrett twice once feb 62 going to oki, again march or april 63 coming back. did you notice the little brass plaque next to the pogy bait window. it stated that the ship was sunk in the med. in 1944. semper fi roger

smh3065
12-01-07, 08:39 AM
Lets see

1981 aboard USS Okinawa 6 mth WESPAC.
1982-1983 aboard USS Belleau Wood 6 mth WESPAC.
1984 aboard USS Pelileu or Tarawa 6 mth WESPAC.
1985-1986 aboard USS Pelileu or Tarawa 6 mth WESPAC.
1987 aboard USS Belleau Wood 6 mth WESPAC.
and then a few weeks in the Med, Can't recall the ship.

Served with HMM-262 in Hawaii and then VMA-331 out of Cherry Pt.

:iwo:

RLeon
12-02-07, 11:57 PM
Coral Sea, Belleau Wood, Kilauea...you can have em all i'm a land hand and no i did not enlist in or ask to join the freaking Navy!

--->dave
What! Going to sea is a Marine Corps perk! Didn't your recruiter tell you that the Marines were part of the department of the Navy, the men's department. :marine:

William W Pence
12-03-07, 03:40 PM
Oh those lovely lsts...sweat like a pig dogging down the radio trailers and 6X with radio equipment..don't remember what counties..but rode one from Iwakuni to kaoisung(spelling) in 1962 or 1963..also one from Iwakuni to kusan,Korea in 1963..and a little trip from Kaneowi to the big island in 1964..so much fun..Slept on deck on our cots most of the time..aw memories.Semper Fi

AlabamaRon
12-03-07, 05:36 PM
August 1964 San Diego to Okinawa on the USNS General Gaffey. Ran into typhoon outside of Guam. Worst experience I ever had.:devious:

1-1Heavygunner
12-19-07, 01:05 PM
USS Peleliu, LHA-5 WESPAC 95 and WESPAC 97. Both for 6 months a stretch, plus workups. Plenty of bonding and brotherhood. Awesome liberty ports. Second float much better, because I didn't have to clean the head. First one sucked since I was a boot

TJR1070
12-19-07, 02:00 PM
USS Tripoli 10/89 Valaint Blitz
USS Debuque 11/89 Valaint Blitz
USS New Orleans 11/90-1/91 Desert Shield/Storm
USS Tarawa 3/91-6/91 Operation Sea Angel
My recruiter didn't tell me we had to take the slow boat to China!!!

undertaker0341
12-20-07, 10:10 PM
i served on the uss new orleans we did a west npak i was very happy until we keft the port of san diego i was sick as a dog,i got better when i saw land i think Marines shouldnt be on ships its bad for our attitude
\
:mad: :mad:

iwo
12-20-07, 10:51 PM
USS Fremont AKA44 six month Med cruise in 1964

Big Jim
12-21-07, 12:14 AM
USS Tripoli 10/89 Valaint Blitz
USS Debuque 11/89 Valaint Blitz
USS New Orleans 11/90-1/91 Desert Shield/Storm
USS Tarawa 3/91-6/91 Operation Sea Angel
My recruiter didn't tell me we had to take the slow boat to China!!!

Have you ever heard of Operations Bear Hunt or Team Spirit held in Korea from 84 to 86? Now, THAT was a PARTY!!! Geez, even the Commanding Officers were getting in on the drinkin!! I had helped carry my Battalion Commanding Officer, LtCol. Palermo out of the Kang-Kang Club in Pohang, Korea to a honcho cab so he could get back to the ship!!! Pretty wild but good times and good memories!! We had heard the next Operation there would be called 'Valiant Blitz.'

1-1Heavygunner
12-21-07, 09:42 AM
Bali was our best stop. Saw our CO there drunk as a skunk. The same club I saw him at is the one that got bombed a few years ago and killed 40 or so Australian tourists. The Sari club, I thinkit was called.

RonC
12-23-07, 05:35 PM
I spent a little time on 6 different LSTs, between '59, and '63. Don't remember any names except Wood County. got seasick on every one of them. The worst was during the Cuban missle fiasco in '62. We got in to a storm, and that bathtub was taking 22 degree rolls, (according to one of the ships crew). Never been that sick before or since.
RonC :sick:

bootlace15
12-23-07, 10:02 PM
whats a ship?

Old Marine
12-24-07, 08:11 AM
Just returned from Hawaii. Had to ride the Diamond Princess from San Pedro, Ca. to Hawaii and back. 15 day trip and it sure was a rough cruise. The mess hall sucked, and the quarters were terrible. The waiter was pretty good and the houseboy did a pretty good job. The biggest problem I saw was the bomb scare when we docked back in San Pedro.

Seasoldier0331
12-26-07, 10:41 AM

Sgt0811
12-26-07, 11:22 AM
USS Barrett in 64 to Oki, USS VanCouver Dec 64 to Mar 65, from Oki to Nam
Barrett sucked, VanCouver was not too bad.

pimenidis
12-26-07, 12:49 PM
USS Newport (LST-1179) 26th MEU BLT 3/8 - 1990
USS Nashville (LPD 13) 26th MEU BLT 3/8 - 1990
USS Dubuque (LPD-8) 31st MEU BLT 2/4 - 1995

I have a Zippo from all three!!!

BSmall
01-10-08, 02:07 AM
USS Constellation and the USS Lincoln.

LeonardLawrence
01-10-08, 02:11 AM
The Denver and the Belleau Wood

The floor sure was wet. I swear if I spent one more day in the top rack I was going to KILL the card players below.... ;)

kaboom1371
01-10-08, 11:44 PM
spent a few weeks on the USS Juneau from Oki to Korea. took a round about way and did a few circles. was more like a real cheap cruise ship. we had no jobs to do on ship. so we just ran around. I'm sure I saw every inch of that ship atleast 4 times. nothing like PT on the Helo deck in rough waters though. It took about every bit of balance to not go over board.

jerryd6818
01-22-08, 02:12 PM
Went to Spain for Operation Steel Pike in the Fall of '64 on the MSTS General R.M.Blatchford. We partied our a$$ off the night before we left, then laid around on the dock all day waiting to disembark. I caught mess duty on the way over and started getting a little queasy on the serving line the first morning at sea. Someone said eat soda crackers so I did. Everything was fine for the rest of the trip (except for that part about mess duty).

We were supposed to catch liberty in Rota before we left Spain but a storm came up and they couldn't get the liberty boats alongside. The alternate plan was much better. We steamed down to the Canary Islands and had three or four days liberty in Las Palmas over Marine Corps Birthday. Woo Hoo baby.

I had head duty on the way back. The Blatchford was a rust bucket, we were told was taken out of mothballs for the operation. The heads were BAD. We hit a storm so bad, water was breaking over the bow of the ship and we were restricted to below decks. The ship was pitching and rolling but I slept like a baby.

Loved every minute of it in spite of mess duty and head duty. I especially enjoyed tying off the swabs and pitching them over the fantail, dragging them behind the ship to clean them. That trip planted an unrequited love affair with the sea in my heart that I wasn't able to consummate again until we took a cruise a few years ago.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

jetdoc
01-22-08, 03:17 PM
USS Midway, Indian Ocean Cruise, 1980, I was on the Midway when this accident occured:

USS MIDWAY collides with the Panamian freighter CACTUS while transiting the passage between Palawan Island and the coast of Northern Borneo 450 nautical miles off Subic Bay en route to Singapore. The MIDWAY, the Navy says, sustained no serious damage although two US sailors were killed, three were injured, and three F-4 Phantom aircraft parked on the flight deck were damaged.

The damage aboard USS MIDWAY can be seen on the photos below.

http://navysite.de/cvn/Image985_t.jpg (http://navysite.de/cvn/Image985.jpg)http://navysite.de/cvn/images/cv41acc1_t.jpg (http://navysite.de/cvn/images/cv41acc1.jpg)http://navysite.de/cvn/images/cv41acc2_t.jpg (http://navysite.de/cvn/images/cv41acc2.jpg)

<CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>Also spent a week on the USS Niagra Falls, a supply ship. I do know they had some good azz chow. </CENTER>

SgtHopperUSMC
02-02-08, 05:48 PM
Uss San Bernardino LST 1189 in 1987/88 from Oki to Japan.
Uss St Louis LKA 116 1988 from Oki to Korea 5207

5208a with a stop at Iwo Jima.:iwo:

ernestdcuellar
02-04-08, 06:10 PM
USS Okinawa LPH 3 H&Sco 2nd BN 7th Marine Amphibious Brigade 72'. WESPAC .I had the top rack stacked four high 16 in one corner the size of a ****te## . Sick as dog!! First meal after leaving Long Beach Calif. tried to pull my seat forward to reach the table ,would,t budge looked down chair,table everything bolted to the deck!! Remember the request permission to come aboard ? Salute the captain , turn and salute the colors, ahh can almost still smell the sea breeze!!

ttracker65
02-23-08, 02:07 AM
Lets see
USS Fort Fisher LSD 40 Camp Pendleton 12-31-1979
USS Peoria LST 1183 07-03-1980 BLT 3/5
USS Peoria LST 1183 / USS Fresno LST 1182 10-03-1980 West Pac 1981
USS Peoria LST 1183 / USS Tarawa LHA 1 11-01-1981 West Pac 1982
USS Debuque LPD 8 10-02-1982 OP Col. Potlatch 2
as with all LST's they are flat bottemed and rock and roll, Punched a hole in the side of the Peoria when a causway broke loose out side of China had to limp into port.
Peoria got beached in Mindero had to be tugged off.
allways on water rationing on the Peoria.
Tarawa was a fly in Big ship easy to get lost.
Fort Fisher,Debuque and Tarawa are easy platforms to launch from but the LST's are a bear to board with only inch's of room on each side of the Ramp
Peoria's turn table sucked too.
Cpl B :tank:
P.s. Shellbacks Rule Wogs Drool

ttracker65
02-23-08, 05:58 AM
:mad:
I can not believe it! They used her for a target and sank her!!! Squids hmph.
I was adding my self to the ships crew list and found out that the Navy showing their respect for a ship that has such a long career decided that she would be a fun target.
Cpl B :tank:

Native Warrior
02-27-08, 07:26 AM
USS Guadalcanal 1983 - to and from Beirut, Lebanon
USS Guam 1983-1984 - to and from Grenada and Beirut 2nd tour

Quijano32ICO
02-27-08, 05:48 PM
Did 6 months on the USS Austin (she's decom-ed now) for a MEU and 6 months on the USS Ashland for a UNITAS..

E5NAMKROW
03-05-08, 12:52 AM
belleau wood
juneau
major storm off australias coast, great sleeping weather. rocked me to sleep. of course i was belted in

Eddo36
03-05-08, 05:29 AM
I'm so glad I never served on a ship lol. Congrats to those who have though. I don't mind lugging 100 lbs of gear up mountains, but when it comes to waters, I get sea sick easy.

Snake0311
03-05-08, 02:18 PM
Did 6 months on the USS Essex (June '98 - Dec '98) WestPac

SGT7477
03-05-08, 02:59 PM
I never did any ship duty, carrying 204 lb. arty rounds, Marine Artillery One Shot 12 Kills,OOHRAH.

Old Marine
03-05-08, 04:28 PM
USS GORDON MSTS, 1953, nice trip to Korea with the 38th draft.

Sgt Hulk
04-16-08, 03:18 PM
Did WestPac 92 on LPH-3 Okinawa. It was the ships last cruise and it was an old piece of crap. it did have a good gym though.

Semper Fi,

Mike

brian barr
04-16-08, 08:48 PM
I was in Amtracs. I lived on a ship. The longest was a West Pac from OKI on the USS Shenectady- we called it the skinny tity. Got caught in a typhoon coming out of Hong Cong harbor out in the sea of Japan. The left side prop came off and the left steering paddle also. The bildge pumps quit short of Japan and the Coast Guard had to bring portable pumps. That LST was rolling all over the place. That flat bottom piece of S"t. I was on the Bristol County and the Tarawa. That was a nice one compared to the LST's. 1976 to 1979.:thumbdown :tank: :flag:

sgtgrunt0311
04-17-08, 02:53 AM
Did WestPac 92 on LPH-3 Okinawa. It was the ships last cruise and it was an old piece of crap. it did have a good gym though.

Semper Fi,

Mike

Hey Hulk I was on that POS with Charlie Company 1st Bn 4th Marines during that same time. Who were you with? The USS Broken-nawa. BTW She sailed after that however I do think you are right she didn't do any other cruises. The gym sucked on that think and it was right next to the cold storage for dead bodies. Remember those big silver metal containers right outside the gym? Those were there for the bodies. Do you remember the dead Iraqi pilot we brought on board? They stored his butt in those.

Sgt Hulk
04-18-08, 03:57 PM
Sgtgrunt0311,

I was with Helo squadron on board. I was there NBC NCO. I do remember the mourge by the gym.... thats where we did abs:D

Semper Fi,

SGT Russow
04-18-08, 04:25 PM
USS Kearsarge, 1997 Med Float Libo was awesome of what I can remember of it.

testforecho2112
04-18-08, 04:36 PM
I never had the 'pleasure' to be aboard ship, but this post reminds me of what my Grandfather (retired Navy, 27 years) told me when I metioned to him that I didnt want to join the Navy becuase I didnt want to be stuck on ships all the time...His reponse was:

Do you know what Marine stands for?

My
A$$
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

Ed Palmer
04-18-08, 04:42 PM
Do you know what Marine stands for?

My
A$$
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

Hey I love that one never heard it before

oohrah1994
04-18-08, 09:23 PM
go to http://semperfi.890m.com

ecfree
04-18-08, 09:30 PM
hey Oorah1994,fill Out Your Profile.

sgtgrunt0311
04-18-08, 10:48 PM
Sgtgrunt0311,

I was with Helo squadron on board. I was there NBC NCO. I do remember the mourge by the gym.... thats where we did abs:D

Semper Fi,

Do you remember Sgt. Kilkus? He was one of the Marines killed on the helo's that crashed into each other. Sgt. Kilkus was a good friend of mine. He and I met on the Oki we used to work out together in the old house of pain. He was good Marine.

darkgreen0311
04-18-08, 11:16 PM
Did about a week or so can't remember the name of the ship. We took it from okinawa to hong kong where we had libo ,and then from there to the philippines where we embarked and trained nine days in the field.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

hrscowboy
04-19-08, 06:28 AM
USS Plymouth rock LSD Rosy Roads PR to Morehead Beach 30 days 3rd laam Battalion sicker than a dog all i could eat was crackers..

GDMARTIN
05-05-08, 11:18 AM
This is in response to the moldy barracks at Bragg issue. As a former Marine and Army Paratrooper. I lived in the Barracks on smoke bomb hill, and was Barracks NCO. The mold is not caused by lack of cleanliness or hygiene. We conducted Field Day/G.I. parties just like I did in the Corps.

The mold is a product of humidity combined with inoperable ventilation and duct systems. It didn't have a quick fix. After several attempts we were moved to different Barracks. Its **** poor to have a mold garden sprout on your Service Alphas/Class A's. every night.

I'm proud of all of my military service, Marine Corps and Army. Rest assured the problems don't exist because soldiers don't know how to use gp cleaner and a green monster.
Lastly, all the politicians are going to take advantage of this minor event. Bottom line up front. Should have been squared away ASAP at the unit level. Not trying to sound like a highbrow Sociologist, but the demographic change from less than half to more than two thirds families versus single in a decade has had a significant impact on single soldier facilities. The entire military is stretched thin right now in resources, both human and financial. SSG(former Marine Corps Cpl) Martin

Swampyankee
05-11-08, 07:57 PM
USS Nassau LPH 4(?) I'm getting old. According to the squids, her maiden voyage. Went to Cuba to reinforce the barracks when Castro threatened to have the Marines thrown off the base with help from his Russian friends.

Do Coast Guard vessels count?

CplKJSpevak
05-19-08, 03:30 PM
I did 6 months on the USS Austin (LPD 4) and 6 months on the USS Shreveport (LPD ?) Good times.....read my profile for details...

Hercules1944
05-22-08, 04:47 PM
Well, this is interesting. I see a lot of us were on the same ship, although different times, or on the same deployment.

USS Guadalcanal LPH-7, Operation Steelpike.
USS Princeton LPH-5, off Vietnam
USS Okinawa LPH-3, off Vietnam
Uss Iwo Jima LPH-2, off Vietnam
Uss Guam, LPH-9, Grenada

What I always got a kick out of was my little brother did 25 years active in the USN and retired HMCS (E-8). Most of his career was FMF as a DOC. With my active duty and USMCR time, I pulled more sea duty than he did, and I never let him forget it..

CplKJSpevak
05-22-08, 05:12 PM
My buddy was a Sr. chief as well....and he had like 14 years of Sea Time, I think he was in about 30 years though...We were on the USS Shreveport together...It was cool, because he had his own office and stuff...I always tried to meet as many people as I could..I couldn't sit in our living space all the time...

Hercules1944
05-22-08, 05:51 PM
You know what's really funny Corporal? Can not speak for other type ships, but, on LPH's the Food Service NCO was a CPO. I learned an old trick from a WW11 and Korean War Gunny. I would volunteer some of my guys for mess duty. Hey, volunteer 4-5 Marines per meal, kept them PVT's and PFC's occupied. The reward was we ate like Kings, kid you not. Hell, I even helped serve some meals. A Battalion of Marines, plus Airwingers, and the ships crew, were a lot of mouths to feed.

Riddle me this: Do you think all that leftover chow went into the garbage chute on the fantail?

skyhawker
05-22-08, 06:21 PM
USS Antietam - 2 weeks for carrier quals - 1961
USS Franklin D. Roosevelt - 2 weeks carrier quals - 1963
The mess on both was reasonable. On the Antietam, no air conditioning,talk about hot in the birth's. Loved it on the Roosevelt, when all our planes, A4D's shyhawks were in the air, we laid on the gun turrets and, (got a nice tan) while we watched the sailors do their thing on deck.

sparkie
05-22-08, 06:40 PM
Nice memory,, USS Tripoli, LPH 10. One month of powdered eggs, powdered milk, powdered potatoes, and salt water showers. But then, Food is food. I didn't miss a meal.

Hartcorps
05-28-08, 06:56 AM
All those Marines that live and have lived on ship, tell the rest of us what ship you were or are on, when, and how it was/is.

Lcpl Miller USS Essex, 2007 and current, Big ship hard to get around.

Hey, I'm on this hunk of junk as well. Worthless. :thumbdown

Piricuaco
06-01-08, 06:54 PM
Hey, how 'bout us "Fam Mbrs" & "Others"?:D

I didn't serve on a ship but I DID ride on the USS Blue Ridge to Taiwan and Korea. Both were for dependent cruises the .mil occasionally does (did?). Both cruises were back in the mid '70's and we sailed out of White Beach on Oki. Man, this was back in the day when squids could still wear beards!!! I remember on the Korea cruise, a squid was smoking a joint while on watch at night and fell overboard. Quite a commotion, I can tell ya! We found him...

My dad was SenMarO for CinCPac so we got to eat in the Captain's quarters and I'll never forget how uptight I was! I was a young teen and it was ABSOLUTELY the fanciest dining I'd ever been exposed to!!! Silver and china and frigging salad forks and little Filipino serving guys who kept calling me "Sir" and waited on me hand and foot...it really freaked me out! I was so relieved when my dad told us we could also eat in the messhall...burgers and fries and coke in a wax cup were good enough for me!

I also liked watching the shipboard movies there as well instead of the private viewing for the officers. The enlisted guys teased us and stuff but they were really friendly. I have good memories of those cruises. I really liked standing at the bow (or close to it) and seeing dolphins running besides us. There's a fearsome beautiful majesty to the open sea so many people will never now!:D

Backblast
06-09-08, 01:18 PM
USS Peleliu LHA-5 (14 months sea service)

1999 11th MEU (SOC)
2001-2002 15th MEU (SOC)

That ship is home to me. I miss being on it. It took me to places that I might not ever get to see again.

Thailand, Singapore, Korea, Hawaii(x4), Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Oman, UAE, Bahrain, Qautar, East Timor, Indonesia, Australia (Sydney, Darwin, Perth)

Okay some places I don't want to go back to.:)

THAT AINT IT
07-23-08, 11:21 AM
USS Boxer 29 April 2008-26 June 2008 Operation Continuing Promise
San Diego to Guatemala
Guatemala to El Salvador
El Salvador to Peru
Peru to San Diego

the most worthless two months of my life. I'm an armorer at 46 squadron...I have nothing to do on land and had even less to do on the ship. the only productive thing i did was i got off in Guatemala and helped the Seabees paint a church and got off in El Salvador and helped the Navy dental techs. We got a day and a half of libo in Peru which was awesome...what i can remember of it anyways. But i did end up making some friends in the berthing which is surprising since most of the Navy females were annoying. It was fun on some days but most of the time it was boring. But I am proud to say that I am a Shellback haha.

rsharetts
07-26-08, 05:46 PM
I've mostly been on APA's, and LST's, one short ride on a Chopper Carrier coming back from Nam. However, my favorite sea going ride was a 6 months Med Cruise on the USS LaSalle, LPD-3. It was part of her shake down cruise and we were the first troops on board. That baby could roll. But it was like a cradle.

:usmc:OOHRAH:usmc:

dpawson
08-14-08, 11:54 AM
USS Guam in 88 for workup, USS Iwo Jima 3-88 thru 8-88 Med Cruise, USS Nassau for Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Hercules1944
08-14-08, 01:44 PM
http://http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Hercules1944/IMG_0003-1.jpg

http://http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Hercules1944/IMG_0001-2.jpg

USS Guam LPH-9, pre Grenada invasion.

Hercules1944
08-14-08, 01:48 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Hercules1944/IMG_0003-1.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Hercules1944/IMG_0001-2.jpg

USS Guam LPH-9, pre Grenada invasion.

tenyearsgone28
08-15-08, 12:25 AM
I can't believe I'm the only here that posted being on the USS Saipan as old is it is!!!!

Was on it going to Iraq Jan. 03 - Feb. 03. Coming back May 03 - June 03

Mikewebe
08-27-08, 06:31 PM
USS Iwo Jima LPH 2 and we had an acronym for it, I want one Jammed in my A** little pricks hurt 2

imajarhed
09-22-08, 06:11 PM
Escorting a barge for 27 hours in the middle of the Pacific on a tug boat count? Ok maybe it is kinda cheesy.

coffeejoejava
10-09-08, 11:16 AM
Was on the old LHA 3 Bellau Wood in 1994. Have served as Combat Cargo Officer aboard the USS Juneau (LPD 10) and USS Wasp (LHD 1)

temarti
10-09-08, 11:29 AM
11 days total, thank God!

We locked the gates at Olongapo in 1992 and left for Hong Kong on the cruise-liner USS Dubuque or DePuke.

I puked the whole way there, well until I ran out. Attributed to high seas, and purging myself from Olongapo!

We spent 5 days in Hong Kong on pure libo, drinking like a fish and partying like rock stars.

Then we got back on the Dubuque and went to join the battalion in Oki, and I puked the whole way there, or until I ran out. Attributed to high seas and purging myself from Hong Kong!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Wookie, I remember this, the Debuke and St. louis were suppose to go to red beach, tried to or actually turned int he bay and lisped hard to the left, then made their way back around to off load at Naha Port. I was with LSB as an HE operator and watched it from shore. We knew how the ones on ship felt. Then met at Naha.

tsaguy
10-17-08, 06:16 AM
Was on the USS Germantown, LSD 42. Part of LAV Platoon, BLT 1/5 REIN. I worked in ships laundry for the whole 3 months... got shellbacked!

usmcmech02
12-08-08, 03:39 AM
uss essex in late 2002 into early december. my cruise lasted about 2 and a half months

usmcmech02
12-08-08, 03:42 AM
sorry typo i meant late 2002 (december) into ealry 2003 ( mid feb)

oifvet23
12-11-08, 11:36 PM
USS Harry S. Truman and USS Franklin Delano Roosevelt
18 months total
No complaints here, i liked it better than being on land

JMoe
01-29-09, 11:02 AM
USS Siapan, LHA, 7 months in 2002. Coming back thru a minefield in the Persian Gulf after the Gulf War. Was $hi++ing my pants for a freekin week during General Quarters. :p

No $hi++er....

Then to make matters worse, the Captain of the boat allowed flight quarters during a storm with 10 to 15 foot swells and as a pilot was landing onboard, the ship took a sharp dive, the plane hit the flight deck, bounced up like a volleyball and rolled over the side into the ocean. As the pilot ejected, his chute hooked onto the forward 5-inch gun and he was constantly slamming out and into the side of the ship. :scared:

Oh well, it was an overall great experience being on ship. :banana:

david43844
01-29-09, 11:14 AM
USS ElPaso LKA117.....1973 on float........Loved every minute of it ! !

sgt03gunr
02-06-09, 03:45 AM
Tarawa, Dubuque?, and Daluth....Dubuque did give us extra libo time in Yokosuka, Japan because they could never pass their inspection to set sail. Off subject, Yokosuka had the BEST chow hall I had ever eaten at. LOL.

Sgt Jim
02-06-09, 05:31 AM
USS Inchon (spelling) ? LPH.With Helo squadron HMM264,didn,t see any one else list that ship

OC51
02-10-09, 04:43 PM
USS ESSEX for about 4 mos 2008. Navy hated us and treated us like $^@#.

SSgt0369
02-11-09, 06:53 AM
USS Debuque in 1994 (30 days), USS Germantown 1996 (30 days), USS Frederick 1997 (LF CARAT I think it was 4 months, but may have just seemed that long, nothing like an oversized flatbottom John Boat in the ocean)

390 Mach I
03-05-09, 12:38 PM
Hmm lets see
USS Okinawa (LPH 3) Team Spirit '87
USS Guam (LPH 9) Med Float '88
USS Boulder (LST 1190) Great Lakes Cruise '89

MT3533
03-16-09, 10:32 AM
USS Debuque in 1994 (30 days), USS Germantown 1996 (30 days), USS Frederick 1997 (LF CARAT I think it was 4 months, but may have just seemed that long, nothing like an oversized flatbottom John Boat in the ocean)

The "de puke"? I was lucky enough to get put on the Belleau Wood LHA-3 for 3 weeks or so back in 98 Around Korea. Some guys had to endure that flat bottom though.

"Smoking lamp is lit" hauls ass to the steel beach... Good times! :usmc:

avenger08
03-16-09, 03:51 PM
uss essex (LHD-2) 31st MEU 2009

volcano
04-23-09, 05:28 PM
nice topic

Tom Pemberton
05-15-09, 10:39 PM
USS Breckenridge at the same time. Puke every where. No place to hide.

tracs2142
05-17-09, 05:18 PM
USS Ponce, LPD-15, 1980 for Anorak Express to Norway. We took almost 2 weeks crossing the Atlantic in winter..oh what fun. We loaded stores/ammo at Norfolk expecting we were going to Iran, rather than war games. Of course, Jimmy Carter would never allow it.

When I stood well-deck watch, you could look out the upper half of the rear opening of the ship. One moment was stars, next black ocean. As bad as it was, I felt sorry for the poor guys on the LST!

Other than cramped quarters, it was a good time mostly. Did not like being locked in quarters during drills.

RunBikeSwimCRS
06-03-09, 06:40 AM
USS Boxer , ****ty Life, Great Ports

GIrene
06-18-09, 07:59 PM
Does a week on the Nimitz count? :P

Tom Pemberton
06-18-09, 09:40 PM
A week on anything that floats counts!

GIrene
06-18-09, 09:48 PM
A week on anything that floats counts!

I tell you what I need to Cross the Line. My dad (Navy man) won't ever let me hear the end of it. I could become Commandant and he'd still say I'm a dirty nasty slimy wog. XD

quest23
06-23-09, 04:25 PM
9 months on USS carl vinson......"GET OFF THE FOUL LINE JARHEAD!!!!!" lol...fun times

EJnoMI
07-24-09, 08:47 PM
Sounds like a bunch of horror stories. I'm a C-130 guy... can't say I ever have (or ever will) get the "Pleasure" of being on a boat. I guess I'll just stick to my hammock! :P

Drafter
07-25-09, 03:32 AM
USS Tarawa and USS Juneau, can't say I liked it much. Everyone always says chow was great on ship. I wouldn't know, the crackers were pretty good though.

:sick:

Riven37
07-25-09, 06:24 AM
USS Okinawa late 1970 1/9 Walking Dead headed back to the Nam (No land deployment only off shore) under a unknown Naval Campaign at the time there for 3 days and back to Okinawa, with detour to Japan.

sparkie
07-25-09, 09:20 AM
USS Tripoli,,,now mothballed in Diego.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/83/USS_Tripoli_LPH10_a.jpg/300px-USS_Tripoli_LPH10_a.jpg

Supersquishy
07-25-09, 09:28 AM
USS Tarawa and USS Juneau, can't say I liked it much. Everyone always says chow was great on ship. I wouldn't know, the crackers were pretty good though.

:sick:
When were you on the Tarawa, did some work ups on it and sailed to San Francisco during fleet week. in 2000(?)

Drafter
07-27-09, 07:43 AM
When were you on the Tarawa, did some work ups on it and sailed to San Francisco during fleet week. in 2000(?)

I was on the Tarawa in 83 then again in 85. I believe the Op was Valiant Blitz both times.

skipper72
07-27-09, 08:12 AM
USS Newport News (CA-148) XO MARDET, USS Roosevelt (CVA-42), FLIGHT OPS, USS York County (LST-1175) AMPHIB OPS, USS Observation Island (EAG-158) LEGAL SERVICES. Sea duty was the best experience I ever had in my 20s with my clothes on!

TJR1070
07-27-09, 12:47 PM
I don't know about you sir, but time on ship only meant to me I was going to have fun in a foriegn country without my clothes on!!

skipper72
07-27-09, 01:05 PM
I don't know about you sir, but time on ship only meant to me I was going to have fun in a foriegn country without my clothes on!!

Two of the "obstacles" to foreign fun (with no clothes on) at that time were:

1. I was married with a family.

2. My white cover and barracks ones had a quatrefoil on them.

:)

TJR1070
07-27-09, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't be able to partake anymore either but it was good to be young, a Marine and in another country!! I guess now I would have to do the tourist/culture thing.

colt59
07-28-09, 04:53 PM
USS Ponce, LPD-15, 1980 for Anorak Express to Norway. We took almost 2 weeks crossing the Atlantic in winter..oh what fun. We loaded stores/ammo at Norfolk expecting we were going to Iran, rather than war games. Of course, Jimmy Carter would never allow it.

When I stood well-deck watch, you could look out the upper half of the rear opening of the ship. One moment was stars, next black ocean. As bad as it was, I felt sorry for the poor guys on the LST!

Other than cramped quarters, it was a good time mostly. Did not like being locked in quarters during drills.

I was on the USS Newport fot this operation, You're right, Cold, rough seas, but I had a blast. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've attached a couple picture. One is the USS Ponce from the stern. I was on the landing craft as we were entering through her stern gate. The others were taken about a second apart. Notice the roll of the ship. Sea and Sky. This was taken on the way to Plymouth England on the way back from Norway.

colt59
07-28-09, 05:24 PM
Here's a few pics from the Newport and of Norway. Loading Trucks on, a view out the open stern ramp from the tank deck (the ramp got bent and we had to secure it to a bulldozer on the way to Portsmouth Eng. for repairs), loading fuel pods in Norway, me and my M-54 5ton (I had 2 500 gal pods of JP5 and one of AVgas, I slept one night in the cab and had a parachute flare come down in the back and didn't know it, I **** myself in the morning when I found it laying between two of the pods), Never give Engineers white camo.

Drafter
07-28-09, 07:53 PM
Here a few pics of the Tarawa I scanned outa my cruise book from 1/7's deployment to Okinawa in 1983.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=816&pictureid=6253 http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=816&pictureid=6254 http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=816&pictureid=6255

Drafter
08-09-09, 10:50 AM
Here a few pics of the Tarawa I scanned outa my cruise book from 1/7's deployment to Okinawa in 1983
oops, Moved the pics and broke the link.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/7thMarine/USMC%20Pics/TarawaPics.jpg

TJR1070
08-13-09, 09:50 AM
Nice pics of the "Eagle of the Sea". I was on the Tarawa for the return trip from the Gulf War and had a stop over at Bangladesh for relief efforts. Of course we had a different name for the ship at that time.

Drafter
08-13-09, 10:47 AM
Nice pics of the "Eagle of the Sea". I was on the Tarawa for the return trip from the Gulf War and had a stop over at Bangladesh for relief efforts. Of course we had a different name for the ship at that time.

LMAO, I know the answer to this! I always wondered which one was Captain Steubing.

lstampa
09-20-09, 07:46 AM
I was on the USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 back in 2006.

Within the 1st week, 2 urinals wouldn't stop leaking and they couldn't fix them, so a Navy guy put trash bags over them and put a sign up that said "DO NOT F*KING **** HERE".

If I get my old lap top up and running, i'll be sure to post some pics of that crappy ship.

Rocky C
09-20-09, 08:03 AM
USS Coronado, joint Nato Op 1978.

Danny C Smith
11-08-09, 02:58 PM
I was aboard the Frederick. Which I believe has been decomissioned.
That was in 88 or 89.
We floated around for a couple of weeks and I stayed sick
as hell the whole time.:sick: Crackers and water.
A-hole to bellybutton racks and that tub wallowed like
a fat sow in a mud hole the whole time.
Never been so glad to get the hell off a rust bucket in my life!
Back to something I understood:tank:.

Smitty.

kenrobg30
11-19-09, 07:31 AM
Hey Edd, remember how that bucket quivered, when her screws came out of the water ?That sucker 'd roll in a bathtub. She split her seams between Korea and Japan, in a storm. Had to lay over in Japan to get welded, so she could take us home.Fun' wasn't it ?

kenrobg30
11-19-09, 07:46 AM
Amen to that dave.

Rooger
11-19-09, 06:37 PM
I was on the Tarawa in 83 then again in 85. I believe the Op was Valiant Blitz both times.

I was on that Tarawa with an Engineer detachment for the 1 in 83 and I was on both the Juneau and the Tarawa in 81 for Valiant Blitz. Was also on the USS Fort Fisher LSD-40 I also served on the USS Coronado LPD 11

I also served ships company on the USS Peleliu LHA 5 in late 84 northern Pacific Ocean to participate in an exercise off amchitka Island in the Aleutian Islands. That was colder than he**!

Been on a few few others for short exercises off Coronado too.

bpeterson
12-31-09, 09:15 AM
LST, USS Harlan County Dec. '73 to gitmo and back in June '74 don't remember what ship it was on the way back and I think it was 4 days each way.

GIJoeJarhead
01-04-10, 04:20 AM
Don't remember how long I was on the boat, but it was the USS Ogden, LPD 5. She took us from Okinawa over to Korea for Team Spirit 87. We were in the barthing area that had the hook that would be used to load things, well we also had a bunch of ROK Marines on board with us & they kept walking into the hook, so we padded it up with a matress pad & the thing became a punching bag for everyone that walked by it. As for the ROK Marines...they would run PT on deck with no shirts in very cold weather, but wouldn't walk to the damn head....they would just **** & **** in ziplock baggies & throw them under their racks.....WTF?

kenrobg30
01-04-10, 09:56 AM
Don't remember how long I was on the boat, but it was the USS Ogden, LPD 5. She took us from Okinawa over to Korea for Team Spirit 87. We were in the barthing area that had the hook that would be used to load things, well we also had a bunch of ROK Marines on board with us & they kept walking into the hook, so we padded it up with a matress pad & the thing became a punching bag for everyone that walked by it. As for the ROK Marines...they would run PT on deck with no shirts in very cold weather, but wouldn't walk to the damn head....they would just **** & **** in ziplock baggies & throw them under their racks.....WTF?
:evilgrin: Did you ever see them fertilize their rice paddies, or watch them prepare Kim Che? What they were doing was, saving the good stuff, for their gardens, back home! Get with the program, Marine! :D S/F! Ken

kenrobg30
01-04-10, 10:31 AM
:marine: I thoughyt i'd better clear the air, concerning those Korean Marines. I was not beinjg derogitory about their customs. Different strokes, my friends. The Korean Marine Corps, was invented by the First Marine Division, (USMC) Before the Korean war (Conflict?) got hot. First, they were mostly little guys. It tooki two of them on a scale, to match the weight of one average Jarhead. Where we carried Light 30cal Johnsons, and 61mm mortars on patrols, they carried 50cal MGs, and 81mm mortars, up and down those mountains. They were as proud to be Marines, as any one of us have ever been. Also, they never backed away from a fight. They dug thyeir holes, and died in them, like Marines. I will never disrespect them. :flag: Sempre Fi! Ken

GIJoeJarhead
01-06-10, 01:59 AM
I know that you never run PT anywhere near a Marine that ate Kim Che the night before.... :-)

kenrobg30
01-06-10, 07:22 AM
I know that you never run PT anywhere near a Marine that ate Kim Che the night before.... :-)

Easy Co. had a dog they'd found, and startede feeding. They kept him as a mascot. An ROK Army unit, moving through our position, to set up on our right flank, stole the dog. They turned him into stew. The Battalion CO. Col. Martin, had to talk Easy Co. out of massacreing The ROKs.:mad:. So how's yous day been so far Joe? :evilgrin: S/F! Ken

GIJoeJarhead
01-07-10, 02:52 AM
Day is going well, thanks Ken. Your's? What kind of radio is that your wearing in your pics?

01-07-10, 03:09 AM
2007, 2008 - (LCpl, Cpl) USS Kearsarge LHD-3 / Med Float
2008 - (Cpl) HMS Ark Royal / Training

The Kearsarge was alright, at least I didn't live on one of the smaller ships for that deployment.

The Ark Royal was fun. My BN was tasked to give up a company to go on and do helio raids for two weeks. The point was the UK wanted to asses if the ship could support an amphibious mission with their Marines like we do with our anphib ships; but they have so few Marines they couldn't spare enough for the exercise. There were I think about 5 Royal Marines on board and of course a lot of Royal Navy. I lived with some Royal Navy bloats, they were pretty damn cool.

kenrobg30
01-07-10, 03:39 AM
Day is going well, thanks Ken. Your's? What kind of radio is that your wearing in your pics?

:evilgrin: That was an SCR300 Joe. It weighed 40lbs, plus accessories. It was an FM unit, which means, it was line of sight. If you were in a narrow, deep valley, of which Korea had more than its fair share, You could talk a good distance lengthwise, but usually, only the width of the valley, side to side.Once in a while you'd get a 'Bounce' off the side of a hill, and could talk some amazing distances. Thar's what is known as "Skip'. I'm not going to try to explain wave propagation tonite, I ain't that wide awake. My day was good, but this morning is a little shaky. Now I'll stop complaining, and finish this tale. One sunny summer day, in Korea, I sat on top of a mountain, shooting the breeze with a bunch of Mud stompers, and playing with my radio, when I heard some guy asking, if there was anyone out there. He was a Ham Operator, in Los Angeles, Cal. The Battalion exec. was sitting next to me, and said Give it a try. See if the guy could hear me. I keyed up, gave my call sign, and told him, I was talking to him from a mountain top, in Korea. He came back to me, all excited, and talking fast, because 'Skip Talk' is very unreliable. We managed to maintain the contact, long enough for us to give him the home phone numbers of the six Marines, there with me. That story landed in the LA papers, and My Mom wrote, and told me she heard it on t5he radio, and it was in the Syracuse, NY papers. She also told me the guy called her about the contact, and wanted her to be the first to hear about it. 'Skip Talk' can be pain, but once in a while, it can be a pretty nice thing.:) S/F! Ken

Captain Kirk
01-07-10, 07:48 AM
Morning Ken,

I did CB for a few years. I remember skip very well. I talked to Aussies, Brits, and many more with my beams flat in the summer.

kenrobg30
01-07-10, 12:19 PM
Morning Ken,

I did CB for a few years. I remember skip very well. I talked to Aussies, Brits, and many more with my beams flat in the summer.

Good afternoon Kirk. Yeah, I was a CB nut too.Talked a lot of skip, so if you could get up above 40, you might have talked to me. I still have my base, but I keep it in a cabinet, in the garage. I tried it this last summer, but it just wasn't the same., so I put it back to bed. My handle was Slyder, and when I felt like talking legal, I mean local, I spend my spare time on channel seven. We had a lot of nice people on there, and had fun, until the button pushers, garbage mouths, and the idiots, with their seven league boots, came in and ruined it. I'll have to tell you about some of my adventures with those no-brains. I'm getting long winded again, Catch you on the flip-side. :D S/F!!! Ken

Captain Kirk
01-07-10, 12:47 PM
Good afternoon Kirk. Yeah, I was a CB nut too.Talked a lot of skip, so if you could get up above 40, you might have talked to me. I still have my base, but I keep it in a cabinet, in the garage. I tried it this last summer, but it just wasn't the same., so I put it back to bed. My handle was Slyder, and when I felt like talking legal, I mean local, I spend my spare time on channel seven. We had a lot of nice people on there, and had fun, until the button pushers, garbage mouths, and the idiots, with their seven league boots, came in and ruined it. I'll have to tell you about some of my adventures with those no-brains. I'm getting long winded again, Catch you on the flip-side. :D S/F!!! Ken

HAHAHA My handle was Captain Kirk :bunny: I sold all my stuff 18 years ago

Too many garbage mouths. We had a great club for about 5 or 6 years. had a 50 ft tower and a 1000 watt heater. All gone.

Going flat side brother CK out!

GuitarNineteen
01-25-10, 12:11 AM
I was there as well but on one of the other lpd's.SF

LetUsNvr4Get
02-07-10, 10:32 PM
I have a very.... unique.. situation actually. I am currently stationed in Japan at a Navy Base and attached to a USMC Communication Detachement attached to CTF-76 which is a Naval Unit, so that being the case my job is mostly on the ships, so every year on average i spend about 300 days at sea.

USS ESSEX
USS DENVER
USS HARPERS FERRY
USS TORTUGA

YAY 7TH FLEET

cant wait to get back to a real unit STATE SIDE !!

SgtBoyed
03-09-10, 06:31 PM
USS Whidbey Island '05-Hurricane Katrina Recovery
USS Iwo Jima '06-24th MEU

Old Marine
08-06-10, 09:23 AM
Noticed in the Poolees only thread "Prayers Needed" that there is going to be an influx of Sea Lawyers coming into Recruit Training in the near future. These Sea Lawyers must have all attended law school and have flunked out, as all seem to know the law from start to finish. I posted this here as we cannot post in the poolee hall.:evilgrin:

SgtStans
12-04-10, 04:37 PM
Did 2 weeks on the USS ESSEX, 06
1 month on the USS Fort McHenry, 05
and 4 months on the USS Harpers Ferry, 06
You gotta love being on the MEU! MSSG 31 out of Okinawa, Japan.

3043pog
12-04-10, 06:48 PM
I was aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln (MardetCvn-72)It was not all that bad. I had agreat time aboard that ship!

3043pog
02-21-11, 08:53 PM
Our Mardet has had a Facebook page for a while now.Look up Mardet-CVN-72 or MarDet USS Abraham Lincoln.Pretty knarly group of Leathernecks if you ask me!

old grunt
03-27-11, 09:46 AM
I was on LSD 29 USS PLYMOUTH ROCK UNITAS XXII 1981 six glorious months...lol..got my shell back!!!!..Ports allover south am...if you where there pm me!!! looking for marines in my unit kilo3/6 2mardiv

Causby
05-07-11, 05:37 PM
26th MEU. USS Harlan County LST 1196. Six month med. cruise in 1994. Part of Operation Restore Hope, Somila. Got my Shell-back.

RonaldOverby
05-10-11, 07:49 PM
USS Nasau LHA out of Norfolk VA, Also the USS Hermatige, the Nassau was Lovely had a great time on there, the Hermatige was kind of shakey lets say it wasnt as nice as the Nassau, "Swim Call" in the middle of the Carribean was a BEAST!!! loved it. did a massive Amphibious Landing on the beaches of Guantanamo Bay Cuba SWEET!!

jerry0503222
07-29-11, 10:21 PM
When our daughter was born, we named her Myles, after my beloved late father, despite family warning that the name was too masculine .Years later, when I felt she was old enough to understand, I explained to Myles, Your name is very special. I named you after my own father because I loved him very much. I know he would be proud of you.Myles thought carefully about this and then said, I know all that, Mom. But I don't understand why my grandfather had a girl's name.
coach handbags (http://www.discount-coach-handbags-outlet.com)
Office 2007 (http://www.office-2007-professional.com)
office 2010 (http://www.office2010c.com)

FrankTheTank
09-02-11, 05:44 AM
Did some time on the Nassau, Tortuga, Wasp and Austin. Shellbacked on the Austin on the 24th MEU. Good times.

kbay0351
01-13-12, 04:49 PM
Was on the USS Belleow Wood for about a month in '94. Went from Oki to Thailand for Operation Cobra Gold. Remember not bringing enough Copenhagen, running out and the sailors had snatched it all up, they knew the game. After a week on ship it was going for $10 a can!

Was late getting back on the boat from liberty in Pattaya Beach, missed the last boat at midnite, fortunately there were a couple sgts and an officer late also or we would have been worse off. Ended up on "garbage duty" in the middle of the night. They would wake us up at 2am to throw garbage off the side of the ship. Never seen so much trash generated in one day. Like 40' wide, 4' tall, and the length of the ramp from the lower deck to the hanger deck long. We would form a line with the last guy standing on a ledge on the outside of the ship tied off with a rope, and just toss it overboard. Sometimes during the day when you were allowed on the flight deck you would pass a line of garbage from another ship that seemed like it was a mile long. My dad who was in the navy in the 60s said they used to shoot it for target practice.

I remember hanging upside by my shoulders with my head sticking out under the ship in the anchor room watching dolphins race the bow of the ship...

I remember we took some Thai Marines onboard for a while...little guys that showered 2 to a stall...had a great time trading t-shirts etc with them. Still have 'em. Pretty cool showing my kids a camo t-shirt with Thai writing on it!

Our berthing area was the only one without a/c...I remember 10 laps of the flight deck was one mile...remember playing football in the hanger deck. Lots of weapons cleaning and classes... loved general quarters.

Had a scare on our way to Thailand. Got word that there was some unrest in Cambodia and we were going to do a NEO op to evac US citizens. They issued ammo etc, but 8 hours before we were supposed to head out they called it off.

They woke Weapons Co up one night to setup 50 cals on the flight deck and sink a Thai fishing boat. Seems one of our nuclear subs snagged one of its fishing nets and was taking small arms fire from the fishing boat. Weapons Co lit 'em up and I think they might have luanched a Cobra.

Good times...great training in Thailand...the people thought it was like a parade having Marines patrol through their town. Would give us fruit and whiskey, it was great. Of course the libo rocked, words cannot describe it. Clubs with a 20:1 ratio of women to men...I could go on and on