PDA

View Full Version : Former Central Catholic student honored as Marine of the Year

thedrifter
11-26-07, 08:10 AM
Former Central Catholic student honored as Marine of the Year

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:39 PM CST

By Greg Cima
gcima@pantagraph.com

PEORIA -- Nick Pate has to retell the story behind his award every time a friend introduces him as “my friend Nick, Marine of the Year.”

The 23-year-old lance corporal was chosen as Marine of the Year for his Peoria-based U.S. Marine Corps Reserve unit. There are about 90 Marines in that unit, according to Marine officials.

“I knew I was nominated, but I didn’t think I had a shot at it,” Pate said.

He didn’t even tell his parents he was a nominee because he didn’t think he would receive the award, he said.

“It was an honor,” Pate said. “I was surprised they chose me.”

The award, which was granted earlier this month, is based on factors such as physical fitness, knowledge of the Marine Corps and Marine presence.

Pate enlisted after graduating from Central Catholic High School in 2003, he said. He received the Purple Heart for service in Iraq, during which an explosive caused some hearing loss in his left ear and injuries to his knees and back, he said.

“Nov. 5, 2004, I was driving a dump truck on the way back from a convoy,” Pate said. “It was about 3 or 4 in the morning, and I hit a pothole that had a landmine in it.”

Information from the U.S. Marine Corps indicates Pate was in a 7-ton truck heading to a U.S. base in western Iraq during a routine supply convoy when the explosion occurred.

Ellie