PDA

View Full Version : Random Motivational Thoughts at 3am

LeonardLawrence
11-25-07, 02:01 AM
I have found myself thinking alot about life. Where I have been, where I am going and where I am. I am thinking about growing a mullet and getting a sports car that doesn't fit my children's car seats...or my wife....or myself.:D The sad part is I am 30 and if a mid-life crisis gets worse than this, I may be in trouble!

I find there is a big discrepancy between where I am and where I want to be. Where I am going and where I am. I am NOT in the spot I want to be right now. I am taking steps in the right direction, but have not reached where I want to be and am afraid I may never be content with where I am.

Then I had an ephiphany, what you might call a "moment of clarity".

Why the hell was I whining like a little schoolgirl?
A majority of life's obstacles that I am battling to reach my goals are "Life". Alot of the obstacles that are causing me so much grief I have thrown in my own path,at some point in the past ten years. Maybe in some macabre attempt at humor. Watching myself fall and fail and fall some more and not quite live up to my own standards must be hilarious to my inner me.

I also realized that I have no excuses for not directing my energies and focus on reaching my goals. If I am not happy when I get there, then I will have at least enjoyed the journey on the way. Spend time with family, friends doing what I like with a concentration on the goal.

So, I encourage anyone out there that feels blocked from their goals to join me in dropping their "TOOs" with me and just focus on your goals, whether you think you are too fat, too old, too lazy, too hungry, too grumpy, too stuck or too undisciplined to reach your dreams. Recognize that you may be, right now, but you need to take action right now to change your circumstances. If you want to be a Marine, go do it! If you want to lose weight, go do it! If you want to run 10 miles everyday with a broken leg...well, the Docs might disagree, but if it makes you happy...go do it!

If my inner me is reading this...watch out, buddy 'cause I am coming for you!

Marine84
11-25-07, 08:25 AM
WOW! And I thought I was the only one feeling like this because of the estrogen overflow. Seems my whole life has gone to hell in a handbasket in the past month - I just need to pull the Marine out and get the hell on with things. The sun will STILL come up tomorrow no matter what's going on and there ARE folks out there a lot worse off than I am.

Thanks for the pep talk Leonard.

sparkie
11-25-07, 08:30 AM
Should I bring tissues, or bandaids? Go back to bed, you two.

Phantom Blooper
11-25-07, 10:20 AM
Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two 'wolves' inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false
pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Marine84
11-25-07, 03:52 PM
Phantom - I have developed a new love for you my Brother.

yellowwing
11-25-07, 04:18 PM
I think that part of it is our ideals and striving for perfection. We rarely do anything halfassed. We then go on to move mountains.

The occasional assessment and re motivation does wonders.

LeonardLawrence
11-25-07, 04:50 PM
Thanks all for your thoughts. Some interesting Fodder for thought.

M`84...keep your head up...things are gonna get better!:beer:

dan8152
11-26-07, 02:17 AM
yea I am 32 and in the same boat....

I just shaved off a few months growth of a beard and have an appointment with the prior service recruiter this week. I have just been in a bad funk and have way too many "too's" also
everything just hit me all at once (job problems, relationship problems, etc) and I am not were I want to be. BUT I am in good shape and going back in the Marines just feels right...wish me luck

LeonardLawrence
11-26-07, 02:40 AM
I will take the tissues, bandaids for the lady :D :angel:

RVHall
11-26-07, 02:24 PM
Hell, I'm 61 and just now starting my mid-life crisis. But it's a lot easier because I can attribute most of my shortcomings to age.

I admire you guys for developing a positive plan, and even more so for considering re-upping. I almost made a career of it myself. But if you are eligible for the GI Bill, consider that with your life skills and maturity, and especially the self-discipline you gained in the Corps, you can whup ass in college. You may find that your study habits have improved many-fold and that your formerly mediocre grades turn into "A's". That's what happened to me 35 years ago.

Speaking from personal experience though, I've excelled when I've done something I loved to do. So you have to do what your heart tells you to do. But depending on your GI Bill eligibility and inclinations, school may be worth considering.

Whatever you do, sounds like you are moving forward. As you know you can't be stationary, you can only move forward or backward.

Best of luck, Marines.

Osotogary
11-26-07, 04:02 PM
I'm 62. Is too late to have some Glamour Shots taken?
Seriously, goals are varied; long range, short term, etc. A life goal could be just making it alive, or being there or praying for the life of a loved one, to be alive the next day. That could be classified as a short term because it only deals with one day but personally that one day may seem like a lifetime.
I like the one step at a time method of achieving one's goal/goals be they short or long term. Do what what you can, control what you can, and adapt to what you can't control...always moving forward at varied speeds.