PDA

View Full Version : Passing the word along

Marine84
11-23-07, 06:12 PM
Mary Ann posted this on another site - thought I would help her out and get you guys started on it over here.

Dear Marines,
With the holidays fast approaching I would like to ask each of you to take a minute and help make the holiday brighter for our men and women who are currently deployed.

It is our goal to send at least 2,000 Christmas stockings to our Marines and deployed Military. Needless to say we need your help.

Please purchase a stocking or two and fill it up with goodies. Items like beef jerky, chapstick, handwarmers, lotions, hygiene items, nail clippers, candy, gum, decks of cards, puzzle books, stationary, hot chocolate, tuna and chicken packets, sardines, instant beverages, items like yoyo's, silly putty, small hand held games and a card from you. You can send chocolate as it is now cool enough for them to keep it. Anything you would place in a stocking for a loved one would be greatly appreciated by those who are so far away from their loved ones. Be sure to include your address on the card inside so the recipient can write back to you.

You can send your stockings and greetings to
SSgt Jeannine Cressman
WMA Operation Holiday Joy
MNF-W GPAC
UIC 73920
FPO AE 09509-3920

Sergeant Major Bryan B. Battaglia
Hqtrs, II MEF (Fwd)
Unit 73920
FPO AE 09509-3920

LCPL M.D. Fitzgerald
332 EMDG PAD
USMC LNO
APO AE 09315-9997

Sgt. Jaimi L. Diaz
H&HS K9
UIC 40245
APO, AE, 96426-0245

CPL Castro, Carlos
CLB8 HSS Surgical
UNIT 73763
FPO AE 09509 - 3763

Our Marines will make sure that they are given out. Please mail by Dec 10th to assure on time delivery. We have many we would like to extend our holiday joy to. Use the USPS flat rate box. Shipping is only $8.95. You can make it as heavy as you can and the cost to mail is still only $8.95 You can send more than one stocking in a box. All needed items for mailing are available free at the post office. We use FRPB#2. You will also need a roll of tape, custom form and sleeve and label which again can be picked up free at the post office.
Send one to each address please if you can. Feel free to send as many as you like. PLEASE pass the word to all of your friends and family. This is great for schools and organizations to work on as well. So please forward this request to those you know and trust who will be interested.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

We are still running our Adopt a Marine program as well. We continue to send the average of 200 boxes a month. We thank you for your support. Without it many of our men and women would get no mail.
You can check us out on the web. http://www.jocokyroots.com/OCFriends.htm

For those who have been asking on how to do something special for our men and women who have been injured I got an email from one of the Gy's I supported while he was in Iraq. He is now back with II MEF Gy stated to me that some holiday cheer could be used at the Wounded Warrior Barracks.

They have a full load of Marines and would appreciate cards, letters, filled Christmas stockings. Anything that speaks of Christmas as many will not be going home this Christmas. Pictures and cards drawn by children are always loved.
Please send to the address below:

SgtMaj J. M. Jarrell
Wounded Warrior Battalion-East
Bldg H-14
PSC Box 20085
Camp Lejeune, NC 28542-0085

And a note from GY:

LtCol. Siebenthal is the OIC of the Wounded Warrior Barracks here at II MEF. They have a full house now. Please pass on to all in the Women's Marine Association, Lt. Gen. Stalder and I thank them for all that the have done and are doing!

Semper Fi
Ron

Thank you all for your support. Please feel free to pass on to your trusted networks. The last mail date for the Wounded Warriors at Lejeune is Dec18th if you send boxes priority. No custom form is of course needed for these boxes. One of the big items that the Wounded Warrior Bn is asking for are the Nintendo DS games that are loaded with the Brain games. They have found that these are instumental in stimulating the frontal lobe of the brain and works well with those who have had head trauma. These can be sent to SgtMajor Jarrell at the address above.

Semper Fi,
Mary Ann Merritt
WMA National PRO
www.womenmarines.org
WMA Michigan 2 Motor City
Operation Caring Friends
Taking Care of Deployed Marines and Our Military
www.jocokyroots.com/USMC.htm
http://detnews.com/specialreports/2006/michiganians/merritt.htm
MCL 154 Life Member

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.
Author unknown.

sparkie
11-23-07, 06:59 PM
Lookin at your post, I'm seein 'FPO',, 'APO',, in the addresses. Love it. Brings memories. Good post 84, Hope for lots of responses.

LeonardLawrence
11-23-07, 07:08 PM
Good Intel M-84, thanks!

Hope all is healing well, sis!

Osotogary
11-24-07, 07:03 AM
Idea-
Get two large plain frizzbies, red, green etc., (Dollar Store or 99 cent Store item) and put all of your goodies inside the two. Place both frizbee's together and seal with clear wrapping tape.
Stockings? Just put a picture or a cut up (decal) of a Christmas stocking in the center of one of the frizbee's. What you have created is an almost indestructable shipping container, that is easy for the mail handlers to deal with and that is about shoe box size, and that apon receipt can be used by the recipient to play frizbee once the goodies have disappeared.
Most of these frizbees can fit into large non-tearable envelopes. If you can't find them, bop by a Federal Express station and pick up a few. When you get home just turn the envelopes inside out and you will have blank sides for addressing.
Great post Marine84. Hope that your recovering is coming along as hoped for.

sparkie
11-25-07, 07:38 PM
This is a bump,,,,, My wife and I had a great time today, Christmas shopping. She is now writing letters. Women! 10 stockings go out this week. NO, I'm not bragging, just bumping. [ Maybe bragging on my wife}:> I wanna see more non bragging posts on this thread!

dadsgyrl
11-25-07, 08:24 PM
I currently have 36 homemade stockings ready to be stuffed and put in the mail. The kids in my sons class help me stuff them and put little notes of thanks in them. I have several addresses from the www.anymarine.com (http://www.anymarine.com) site that we send letters and packages too every couple of weeks. I have a bunch more stockings being cut out and one other gal here in town helping me sew them up! I LOVE doing this for our Marines, I cant think of anything better to show em we care!

jahhead88
11-25-07, 09:45 PM
Good info: Will pass this along to see if I can get some interest from my co-workers.

jetdawgg
11-26-07, 08:31 AM
Hey lady great effort here. Passing this info along also...

SF

Marine84
11-27-07, 02:01 PM
bump

Big Jim
11-27-07, 04:28 PM
Good job Mel! I just posted it to alot of people at my job and they want more addresses...I work at a state prison and they love doing stuff like this!

Marine84
12-05-07, 05:12 PM
Bump.................cause I want to. Just a reminder - we still got time.

Achped
12-08-07, 09:55 PM
The other day I met a Marine at the wounded warrior barracks when I was at NavHosp Camp Lej. He had pretty much lost the use of his left arm/hand, but thanks to the quick work by the Navy Docs over there he got to keep it at least, and isn't an amputee.

The amount of determination to get back to their units and brotherhood in these Marines is amazing. He was a Lance and his FIRST SGT from his company in Iraq (not with him at the wounded warrior barracks) was actually the one who picked him up in his own POV to take him back to his barracks.