PDA

View Full Version : Bush calls members of military, thanks them for service

thedrifter
11-23-07, 06:29 AM
Bush calls members of military, thanks them for service

Associated Press

Last update: November 22, 2007 – 7:33 PM

CAMP DAVID, MD. - President Bush, who visited troops in Iraq on Thanksgiving after the U.S. invasion in 2003, called several service members Thursday to extend his best wishes.

Three of those receiving holiday greetings are in the Army, two are Marines, three are in the Air Force, two serve in the Coast Guard and two in the Navy. The troops called are serving in Iraq, Afghanistan and at sea, said White House press secretary Dana Perino.

"He called to wish the members of the military and their families and the troops that they are serving with a happy Thanksgiving. He said, 'I can't tell you how impressed I am by the courage and compassion of our troops.' He thanked them for their service," Perino said.

"He said how proud he is of them."

Bush asked for God's blessings on the members of the military, Perino said. He said he was thankful to be commander in chief of the finest military ever assembled and told them, "calling you is the least I can do because I admire the military so much."

The president was celebrating the holiday at Camp David with his wife, Laura, and their twin daughters, Barbara and Jenna, who have a birthday this weekend. Also present were daughter Jenna's fiancé, Henry Hager, some of the president's brothers and sisters and their families, and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Bush, who plans to return to Washington on Saturday, had no public schedule for the stay at the presidential retreat, which is in the Catoctin Mountain range of western Maryland.

"He likes to keep it quiet when he's away up there, and he likes spending time with family," said deputy press secretary Tony Fratto.

The Thanksgiving dinner menu included jellied cranberry molds, whipped sweet potato souffle and pumpkin mousse trifle, along with the traditional turkey.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Ellie

thedrifter
11-23-07, 06:54 AM
Article published Nov 23, 2007 <br />
Bush makes Thanksgiving Day calls to troops <br />
<br />
<br />
November 23, 2007 <br />
<br />
CAMP DAVID, Md. (AP) — President Bush, who visited troops in Iraq on Thanksgiving after the U.S....