PDA

View Full Version : Need Electrical Help....

Phantom Blooper
11-22-07, 06:56 AM
I bought a string of 100 miniature Christmas lights. Called string to string. My question is if I pull one of the bulbs in the series 50 go out on the 50 I pull the bulb from and the other 50 stay lit. All I need is 50 lights for a project...can I cut and cap off where the first 50 lights closest to the plug start the series? I could use all 100 but all I really need is 50 and the price was right. I know a little bit about electricity replacing outlets and switches,but I don't want to ruin a set of lights for this project and not be able to buy another string until the a.m. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall :beer:

:evilgrin:

sparkie
11-22-07, 07:38 AM
The resistance is balanced in Christmas lights, you can shorten, but never lengthin. More will pop the male plug internal fuse, and if you bypass the fuse, the wire can overheat. [I ain't Sparkie for nuthin,;]

Ed Palmer
11-22-07, 07:42 AM
[I ain't Sparkie for nuthin,;]

DANG I thought it was because you were so bright

Phantom Blooper
11-22-07, 07:43 AM
Thank you sir! I thought along those lines, without using the tecno of resistance but wasn't quite sure!And yes I didn't want to start a fire. Again, Thank you!

Phantom Blooper
11-22-07, 07:45 AM
DANG I thought it was because you were so bright

Sometimes like Rudolph! With his red nose so bright...especially at night!:beer:

sparkie
11-22-07, 07:48 AM
Never kick the town drunk. It aint nice.

Phantom Blooper
11-22-07, 07:51 AM
Never kick the town drunk. It aint nice.

Again Otis,I mean Sparkie....thank you!:beer:

sparkie
11-22-07, 08:09 AM
Better not let me out today, Andy.

Phantom Blooper
11-22-07, 09:39 AM
Come on Ange...let him out it's Thanksgiving!:beer:

LeonardLawrence
11-22-07, 09:56 PM
I would take Sparkies word for it......

but...how do we know he isn't Sparkie 'cause he is the town arsonist?

Or has electrocuted himself several times?

Or everytime he works on electricity there is a fireworks show?

Just a thought.

I will now duck and cover!:scared:

greensideout
11-22-07, 10:18 PM
"I could use all 100 but all I really need is 50 and the price was right."

If you can use all 100, what's the problem? :D

semperfiman
11-22-07, 10:53 PM
its that time of the year again?

Phantom Blooper
11-23-07, 05:05 AM
If you can use all 100, what's the problem? :D

Greensideout, to sum it up in one word LAZY.

I have been doing the honey-dos all week along with helping for the Thanksgiving meal as this was the first time in six years that all three girls,SIL's and grandchildren were together.

We bought some of those lighted deer a few years ago that the heads move to put in the yard. The bucks lights went out and a socket was bad when I went to put them out so I rewired that one with a 100. The doe was smaller so all I needed was 50 but I could have used 100.

I rewired the buck Wednesday and I was going to rewire the doe after wards but,we had early company that lasted until late night. Then Thanksgiving day I was cooking the bird as I do every year and trying to finish up the doe so they could be lit Thanksgiving night. And the lazies snuck up on me and I had to make my priorities.

This was all started by a squirrel that gnawed on the socket....when the electricity was off. Maybe I should have left them out there and on and try ed for already roasted squirrel instead of turkey this year and then maybe I would of had more time to take care of things.

And it doesn't help that my computer and recliner is still calling me to come and sit,"Chuck,relax...come sit down,it will be alright!" :beer:

:evilgrin:

sparkie
11-23-07, 07:48 AM
1. You can only be electrocuted once.[although I have stopped my heart twice]
2. My wife calls me an arsonist when I barbeque.
3. BUY A NEW DEER,Skinflint.

Phantom Blooper
11-23-07, 08:01 AM
3. BUY A NEW DEER,Skinflint.

Skinflint...and some other loving choice words is what my wife called me because I don't want to go to do any Christmas shopping on Black Friday!:beer: <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

sparkie
11-23-07, 08:14 AM
Guess what I'm doing on Black Friday????? Christmas lights.
You wouldn't believe what I saw 2 seasons ago. A neighbor down the street puttin up lights, with a staple gun, on an aluminum ladder, in a drizzle. AND the lights were lit... NO JOKE. Talk about fried squirrel. I wouldn't even do that. Somehow, he lived.

Phantom Blooper
11-23-07, 09:07 AM
Guess what I'm doing on Black Friday????? Christmas lights.

How's come your still online if you got work to do? My skinflint work is done....:beer:

sparkie
11-23-07, 09:20 AM
My'puter and easy chair are as vocal as yours. My wife will speak louder soon.>

Apache
11-27-07, 03:21 PM
Bset advice a non-Sparkie can give you
Leave the wires alone.
Electricity can kill,maim,and injure.
Nutin to fool with for those who know not.

Ever thought you could better engineer explosives ?