thedrifter
11-22-07, 05:36 AM
Marines give thanks to fallen brother
Nov 22, 2007 @ 12:00 AM
By LISA KAPPS
Observer-Dispatch

ILION - Today is a day to give thanks.

Wednesday night, it was the Syracuse Marines who were giving thanks to a
Delmar Marine who made the ultimate sacrifice - giving his life to ensure the safety of his brothers.

Syracuse Marines made the presentation of the Bronze Star with a “V” to Mimi Martin, wife of fallen Marine Sgt. Shawn Martin, Wednesday night at the Marine Corps League in Ilion. The Bronze Star is the fourth highest honor given by the U.S. Armed Forces and the ninth highest military award.

The “V” clasp signifies the award was given for a single display of valor or heroism, not a long-term meritorious achievement.

“I'm just so proud of him,” Mimi Martin said. “This just proves that he was selfless and courageous and brave.”

On June 20, while on a mission in the Anbar province in Iraq, Shawn Martin, 30, was killed by an improvised explosive devise. As an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians, he was trained in the detection and safe detonation of explosive devices.

The primary device was found and detonated by Martin's team leader. A second bomb was reported but could not be located by the robotic device due to rough terrain.

A detonating device was set and the team leader returned to the truck. Martin returned to the area with his team leader to help search for the IED. The second IED exploded, killing Martin and his team leader.

Shawn Martin “unhesitantly” and “unselfishly” risked his own life to ensure the safety of his battalion, said Capt. Brian Coris, who spoke at the ceremony.

“It speaks volumes of the heroic nature of Sergeant Martin,” Coris said.
Though Coris did not know Martin personally, he met him in passing and said he felt privileged to speak.

At the ceremony, Shawn's wife spoke publicly for the first time.

“Shawn was the bravest person I have ever known,” she said.

Mimi Martin said she learned from her late husband, lessons from the mundane, such as how to navigate California traffic or train a dog, to the essential, such as how to be true to yourself or not to take things for granted.

Due to the dangerous nature of Shawn's job, Mimi Martin said she and Shawn were careful never to take one another for granted.

“We understood that this was a very real possibility,” she said. “We made the most of every minute we had together.”

She called her late husband “loud,” “opinionated,” “wonderful,” and “not someone who is easily forgotten.”

Her words were echoed by Sgt. Daniel Sayre, who said, “Shawn was like a brother to me. He was my best friend. Shawn was a wonderful man.”

Ellie