PDA

View Full Version : Antiwar group seeks to shut port of Oakland with picket line

thedrifter
04-07-03, 07:08 AM
Protesters plan to stop war shipments

Antiwar group seeks to shut port of Oakland with picket line

By Tom Curry
MSNBC

April 3 — Shifting protests against the war in Iraq to a new level, a San Francisco group says that it will set up a picket line Monday to block supplies being shipped to U.S. forces fighting in Iraq. The group, Direct Action to Stop the War, said will attempt to “shut down the war merchants” at the port of Oakland by urging members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union to not cross the picket line.
THE TARGET OF Monday’s action is American President Lines, a cargo carrier that has contracts with the Defense Department to ship supplies to U.S. forces overseas.
The port of Oakland is the fourth-busiest cargo container port in the United States.

‘UNJUST AND ILLEGAL’
“Whether or not war cargo is there on that day, we are trying to send a message to APL that we oppose their profiting off this unjust and illegal war,” said Sasha Wright, an organizer with Direct Action to Stop the War. “We will hold them accountable.”
Patrick Reinsborough, a spokesman for the group, said it hoped that members of Local 10 of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union would respect the picket line, as union members usually do, and thus shut down APL’s Oakland operations by refusing to work.
Asked whether cutting off supplies to American soldiers would jeopardize their lives, Wright said, “We feel like the war is what’s putting their lives in danger. This is an effort to save lives by stopping the war as quickly as possible.”
ILWU spokesman Steve Stallone told MSNBC.com “the union is much like the rest of American society, it’s split on the war.”
But, he said, “Our contract is that we are supposed to load those ships — and we have every intention of abiding by our contract.”
Although the ILWU opposed the Vietnam War in 1960s, its members continued to load cargo ships carrying military materiel to U.S. forces in Vietnam.

A source at the port who spoke on condition of anonymity said Direct Action’s protest was misplaced. “Ninety-five percent of what’s shipped out of Oakland (to Iraq) is food which is going to help Iraqi citizens,” he said.
Reinsborough said that on Monday some antiwar activists would also seek to disrupt shipments at the Concord Naval Weapons Station, which is northeast of Oakland.
Across the bay from Oakland, antiwar demonstrators in San Francisco disrupted traffic in the city’s’ financial district two weeks ago, leading Mayor Willie Brown to criticize them.
“Some protesters ... have chosen to specifically try to disrupt this city, rather than gather peacefully to voice their desire for peace, at the expense of the day-to-day lives of ordinary San Franciscans and at a great cost to this city,” Brown said.
“It is one of the painful ironies of this war that one of the most anti-war cities in the nation, San Francisco, is being disproportionately harmed by the tactics of anti-war protesters.”

Sempers,

Roger

sharon martino
04-07-03, 07:30 AM
WHO THE HELL DO THESE PROTESTERS THINK THEY ARE .. I WISH I COULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS .I AM SURE I AM NOT ALONE.WE NEED TO GET ALL OUR MARINE WIVES TOGETHER AND OPEN A CAN OF WOOP A-- MARINE CORPS WIFE STYLE

DSchmitke
04-07-03, 09:46 AM
Nothing worst than a p***ed off Marine wife.

mark king
04-07-03, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by DSchmitke

aint that the truth !!

mark king
04-07-03, 11:11 AM
fox news just alittle while ago reported the cops have been firing rubber bullets at the protesters,for what i dont know,but they should be using real ones.

thedrifter
04-07-03, 02:32 PM
Apr 7, 3:20 PM EDT

Police Attack Calif. Anti-War Protesters

By MARTHA MENDOZA
AP National Writer

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Police opened fire with non-lethal projectiles at an anti-war protest at the Port of Oakland on Monday morning, injuring at least six demonstrators and six longshoremen standing nearby.

Most of the 500 demonstrators at the port were dispersed peacefully, but police opened fire at two gates when protesters refused to move and police said some of them threw rocks and bolts. The longshoremen, pinned against a fence, were caught in the line of fire.

Demonstrators said they targeted the port because at least one company there is handling war supplies. They said it was the first time they had been fired upon in Bay area protests since the Iraq war began last month.

"Oakland police are being the most aggressive of any department I've seen in the Bay Area since the war began," said protester Damien McAnany, a database manager. "The San Francisco Police Department never used any of this stuff against us."

Oakland Police said at least 24 people were arrested
"Some people were blocking port property and the port authorities asked us to move them off," said Deputy Police Chief Patrick Haw. "Police moved aggressively against crowds because some people threw rocks and big iron bolts at officers."

Police spokeswoman Danielle Ashford said officers fired bean-bag rounds and wooden dowels. They also used "sting balls," which send out a spray of BB-sized rubber pellets and a cloud of tear gas.

"When they hit you, it feels like a bee sting," Haw said.

Six longshoremen were treated by paramedics, as were at least six protesters. Injuries included bruises and welts.

"I was standing as far back as I could," said longshoremen Kevin Wilson. "It was very scary. All of that force wasn't necessary."

Trent Willis, a business agent for the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, said enraged dockworkers were leaving the docks after the incident.

"They shot my guys. We're not going to work today," Willis said. "The cops had no reason to open up on them."

Last week, a San Francisco-based peace group, Direct Action to Stop the War, had announced that it would stage a series of protests Monday involving new acts of civil disobedience.

Protests also took place Monday at the federal building in San Francisco and at the Concord Naval Weapons Station. And seven people were arrested when they temporarily blocked an exit ramp off Interstate 280 in San Francisco.

Sempers,

Roger

Super Dave
04-07-03, 02:43 PM
Pop a CS grenade in their midst and see what happens.

SheWolf
04-07-03, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by DSchmitke

HOW ABOUT A MARINE CORPS MOM???????
THESE DAMN PROTESTERS NEED TO BE PICKED UP AND THROWN OFF THE DOCK,,, I'VE ABOUT HAD IT ...

:mad: :mad: :mad: