PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Assistance with WWII

GeritolRanger64
11-21-07, 12:26 PM
Hello all,

I am hoping someone might direct me to someone that might be very knowledgeable about the 5th Marine Division from WWII. We have come into a very interesting hand carved wooden book that was made by the Marines of B Company 5th Engineers originally from Camp Lejeune, of the 5th Marine Division in 1945. I have attached a web link about this book below.

The book states only 250 handmade copies were done, and from the limited information in the book we have matched these men up to being attached to the 27th Marines on Iwo.

We are trying to find the names for the "250" men this book was made for. In our copy of The Spearhead 5th Marine Division, we match the names that are listed in the book to men of B Company 5th Engineers attached to the 27th Marines, but there are more then 250 in that list. I think the handcarved books were made for the men of the original group that came from Camp LeJeune and went onto Pendleton, maybe not.

Also maybe someone can identify some of the photo's locations that are on the pages in the book? We have run into some dead ends and at this point not much information is available.

The link is: http://geritolranger.tripod.com/index.html (mhtml:{021646CB-B583-41B4-A578-FB3B91405E8E}mid://00000640/!x-usc:http://geritolranger.tripod.com/index.html)

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated:)

Geritol Ranger and family, USMC retired

FistFu68
11-21-07, 01:49 PM
:evilgrin: HAPPY THANKSGIVING MARINE,I WAS WITH THE 3RD.BN.26TH MARINES;IN THE 'NAM.BUT I AM A LIFE MEMBER OF THE 5TH.MAR.DIV.THE MAN YOU NEED TOO CONTACK IS MR.TED OVERGARD.SECURETARY FIFTH MARINE DIVISION ASSN.P.O BOX 1775,HARRISON;AR.72602-1775.TEL870)391-3654. SEMPER-FIDELIS FROM THE SPEARHEAD DIVISON-OOHRAH:usmc: :iwo:

GeritolRanger64
11-21-07, 03:05 PM
FISTFU68, you have found me the gem I was looking for! I had a wonderful talk with this gentleman and besides being the most enjoyable conversation he was very insightful as well. I was honored to have spoken with him and maybe after he is able to take a look at the web site he will be able to give me some additional information. Thanks so very much!

Gerital Ranger
Semper Fi!!!

FistFu68
11-21-07, 03:27 PM
:usmc: YOU'R VERY WELCOME,CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW I FEEL SITTING IN THE SAME ROOM WITH THESE VERY SPECIAL MEN?IT IS A VERY SPECIAL HONOR FROM THESE MEN TOO PASS THE TORCH AND THE SPEARHEAD TOO THE 'NAM VET'S OF THIS ORGANAZATION.GLAD TO BE OF HELP,HAPPY THANKSGIVING;GODSPEED.MR JACK G.:iwo: :beer: