PDA

View Full Version : Missed the cutting score by one point?

Red Horse
11-21-07, 10:14 AM
You know how everyone says that the Marines Corps has a waiver for everything? Well I missed next months cutting score by ONE point. Is there a waiver for that? Does anyone know or have a clue?

Thanks

:flag: RH

Phantom Blooper
11-21-07, 11:19 AM
Never heard of a waiver...you missed the cut....you missed the cut. Maybe refigure the score and see if something was left out or forgotten. Good luck! If there is a waiver let us know. :evilgrin:

Red Horse
11-21-07, 12:01 PM
Aye SSgt.

jrhd97
11-21-07, 12:35 PM
Get admin. to go back over your records, it is possible something was forgot, or added wrong.

Crusader20
11-21-07, 01:18 PM
been there done that missed it by 3 points one time. Admin no help

You missed it. Pay that it doesn't close next time and you should have it.

Tegan
11-21-07, 01:23 PM
Nope, no waiver. When i missed it last month by 11(eleven!!) the reaction I got from everyone was,"Hey, you should have done more MCI's"

DIBLO7
11-21-07, 01:26 PM
If you missed the score by one point its because HQMC only wanted to promote "X" number of Marines. I just went through this with one of my Marines. He actually called HQMC and talked to the guy who makes up the scores. The word he got was this:

Say there are 460 Sgt spots for a particular MOS, we'll say 0121 (which happens to be closed out this month, to my Marine's disgust.)

The current manning is at 460, but 3 are getting promoted to SSgt, so there would be 457, but 5 are getting remedial packages done from the previous month.

Now we're overmanned by 2, and 2 Marines just happen to be getting out that month. So we're exactly at 460. So what happens is the score closes out.

If next month 15 Marines get out, 5 get promoted, and there are no remedial packages, the civilian over at HQMC will pull a roster and from the top count down the 20 spots it would take to make the number at 460 0121 Sgts (not counting non-recs). Then make the score that of the 20th Marines.

That is how the score works. If you missed it by one month, it means that you are the next in line to pick it up, assuming no one makes a jump over you because of somthing they did i.e. better PFT, rifle ect.

If you did somthing to better your score BEFORE the training cutoff date you can take your case down to your admin and try and get a remedial package done. If you missed that date, you SOL and will have to wait until next quarter to have that information processed into your score.

To answer your question about the waiver though; no, there is no waiver for cutting scores.

yellowwing
11-21-07, 03:28 PM
Wait another month. Odds are you are already doing the job of the next rank already, in January you just be getting paid for it.

Odds are you are doing the job of an Army Captain! :banana:

LeonardLawrence
11-21-07, 09:49 PM
Redhorse,

A two year Corporal? Relax, your time is coming! Patience will get you there.
[An MCI, some education, a high PFT and high Rifle score and great pro/cons don't hurt either ;) ]

RLeon
11-22-07, 12:42 AM
To answer you first question, no.
That's sea lawyer talk.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-22-07, 12:27 PM
BTDT, believe me. I missed it one year by 5 points. The advice was correct...I should have done more MCI's instead of goofing off. I never made that mistake again and never missed another promotion based on cutting score.

While it's frustrating, don't let it get you down. You'll get it next time. A 2 year Corporal is really not that big a deal. I've known 8 year Corporals with no NJP, etc., because the MOS they were in was so small, or closed. It happens.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-22-07, 07:22 PM
At one point my MOS was closed down and none of us were getting promoted. I would have loved to have missed a score by a point, at least that would mean I had a shot at it.

But, chances are good you'll be getting promoted in a month or two, so just relax.

LeonardLawrence
11-22-07, 09:31 PM
BTDT, believe me. I missed it one year by 5 points. The advice was correct...I should have done more MCI's instead of goofing off. I never made that mistake again and never missed another promotion based on cutting score.

While it's frustrating, don't let it get you down. You'll get it next time. A 2 year Corporal is really not that big a deal. I've known 8 year Corporals with no NJP, etc., because the MOS they were in was so small, or closed. It happens.

Sgt Leprechaun.

Just as a clarification on my part, 2 years to pick up Cpl, from what his profile said. Hasn't been a Cpl for 2 years. Sorry if I misled anyone with that.

Seemed pretty quick and nothing another month or two Time in Grade, Time in Service can't cure...

hump_drop
11-22-07, 09:34 PM
Cutting scores come out quarterly, and your composite score can change monthly, right? You get another like 7 points per month or something, right?

dodint
11-24-07, 10:53 PM
Cutting scores come out quarterly, and your composite score can change monthly, right? You get another like 7 points per month or something, right?
Your composite score comes out every quarter. Manpower releases a new cut score for each MOS around the 20th of each month.

The thing to know, however, is that the training cutoff is about 40 days before the quarter starts. Meaning, that for the new composite that comes out in January all your stuff needed to be up to date by Nov 20th. It really pays to just get stuff squared away early. Also, you get credit for all the TIS/TIG you'll accumulate for that quarter up front, so you're not cheated by where the quarter falls. I'm a LCpl about to open with my first comp score in January and I'll open with a 1521. Pretty decent since I still have a lousy PFT score on the books.

And yes, you accumulate 7 pts a month. 2 TIS and 5 TIG. However, you get all 21 points when the new quarter rolls around.