PDA

View Full Version : Military Wants Part Of Bonus Back From Wounded

greensideout
11-20-07, 03:52 PM
Wounded Soldier: Military Wants Part Of Bonus Back
Reporting
Marty Griffin PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― The U.S. Military is demanding that thousands of wounded service personnel give back signing bonuses because they are unable to serve out their commitments.

To get people to sign up, the military gives enlistment bonuses up to $30,000 in some cases.

Now men and women who have lost arms, legs, eyesight, hearing and can no longer serve are being ordered to pay some of that money back.

One of them is Jordan Fox, a young soldier from the South Hills.

He finds solace in the hundreds of boxes he loads onto a truck in Carnegie. In each box is a care package that will be sent to a man or woman serving in Iraq. It was in his name Operation Pittsburgh Pride was started.

Fox was seriously injured when a roadside bomb blew up his vehicle. He was knocked unconscious. His back was injured and lost all vision in his right eye.

A few months later Fox was sent home. His injuries prohibited him from fulfilling three months of his commitment. A few days ago, he received a letter from the military demanding nearly $3,000 of his signing bonus back.

"I tried to do my best and serve my country. I was unfortunately hurt in the process. Now they're telling me they want their money back," he explained.

It's a slap for Fox's mother, Susan Wardezak, who met with President Bush in Pittsburgh last May. He thanked her for starting Operation Pittsburgh Pride which has sent approximately 4,000 care packages.

He then sent her a letter expressing his concern over her son's injuries, so she cannot understand the U.S. Government's apparent lack of concern over injuries to countless U.S. Soldiers and demands that they return their bonuses.

While he's unsure of his future, Fox says he's unwavering in his commitment to his country.

"I'd do it all over again... because I'm proud of the discipline that I learned. I'm proud to have done something for my country," he said.

But Fox feels like he's already given enough. He'll never be able to pursue his dream of being a police officer because of his wounds and he can't believe he's being asked to return part of his $10,000 signing bonus.

KDKA contacted Congressman Jason Altmire on his behalf. He says he has proposed a bill that would guarantee soldiers receive full benefit of bonuses.

yellowwing
11-20-07, 03:59 PM
That is so wrong! :thumbdown

thedrifter
11-20-07, 04:06 PM
That is so wrong! :thumbdown

Totally Agree:mad:

Ellie

booksbenji
11-20-07, 04:27 PM
http://kdka.com/kdkainvestigators/military.signing.bonuses.2.571660.html

Zulu 36
11-20-07, 05:57 PM
What BS. Pro sports teams usually don't demand signing bonuses back if a player is hurt on the field and can't play anymore. Same thing.

If you desert, get out at your own request, or get locked up for a serious crime, then yes. But get WIA? Sucks the big one.

My ex-wife had to repay part of her re-up bonus to the Coast Guard when she requested to get out after our oldest child was born. But that was getting out of the contract on her own volition, no one else's.

James924
11-21-07, 02:09 AM
BTW KDKA also reports that the press contacted "Major Nathan Banks, Army spokesperson" at the pentagon about it. He verifies it as a mistake (most likely by a staffer) and that the issue with this ONE soldier has been fixed, he wont be needed to give back any money. I've searched and searched and I've found NO source referencing "thouands" of soldiers experiencing the same mistake. In fact the ONLY instance of it seems to be the soldier named "Fox" on kdka.

Just to add a little story:
The Air Force once took 800 bucks from me. Because I have proficiency in another language and use it for my job I get an extra $400 per month. A staffer somewhere along the line mistakenly mixed up my Proficiency Test dates. I told my Chain of Command and the problem was fixed within one week.
In short, I didnt go whining to the Media!
I used my Chain of Command like we're supposed to, and the problem was solved.
The military is run by humans and as such is subject to mistakes. It happens to alot of soldiers.
Unfortunately, because "Fox" decided to go to the Media instead of doing what we're supposed to do, now we'll be hearing alot of Anti-Bush people trying to tie this incident to President Bush somehow.
God help us all.
-Also
Just out of curiosity, you provided the link to the original article...why didnt you provide the link to the article at KDKA about Major Banks at the pentagon verifying it was a mistake and the problem is being solved?
Both articles were at the KDKA site clear as day...

3077India
11-21-07, 02:42 AM
He isn't the only one fellas; last I heard some 20,000 were in a similar situation. One of the guys I worked with at Roleplay was told he had to pay back $10,000 of his signing bonus after he was...

virwar
11-21-07, 01:41 PM
Unfvknbelievable. I hope he goes to the VA and claims his injuries + PTSD and whatever other malfunctions he suffers. The goverment owes him more than $7K for his arm and eyesight and he certainly should not owe the government more than he's already given. Friggin' WOW., That is fuct up :thumbdown

yellowwing
11-21-07, 03:33 PM
Posted elsewhere from jrhd97

Posted on Fox News this morning. Fox and Friends had a Spokesman from the Pentagon on. The Army has posted a number to call if you have received a letter like this, if you have questions, or you previously re-payed the Army. The Army admits it is a mistake, and the wounded soldiers do not have to re-pay any money.

booksbenji
11-21-07, 03:37 PM
:thumbup:

http://kdka.com/video/?id=34295@kdka.dayport.com

:thumbup:

3077India
11-21-07, 03:49 PM
What about all the other veterans finding themselves in similar circumstances? Are they going to get help too?

Sgt Leprechaun
11-22-07, 12:29 PM
I saw that, it was an Army 1 star general. The fox folks drilled hell out of him on this, and they are now 'officially' backpedaling big time.

It's just soooo typical of the jacked up army. Now that they've been called on the carpet, hopefully it'll stop.