PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Marine officer gets presented with a new vehicle

thedrifter
11-20-07, 04:27 AM
Wounded Marine officer gets presented with a new vehicle IRAQ >> Both legs were lost when he stepped on IED

A Marine gets a fully loaded SUV from Ron Rosner Toyota.

Date published: 11/20/2007

BY KAFIA HOSH

First Lt. Andrew Kinard used to drive a 1993 Toyota 4Runner. But last night, he got a major upgrade in the form of a 2007 4Runner from Ron Rosner Toyota in Stafford.

The SUV is equipped with $1,000 worth of modifications for Kinard, who lost both of his legs while serving in Iraq last year.

The 24-year-old Marine was injured on foot when an improvised explosive device, or IED, detonated beneath him.

He beamed at the $45,000 vehicle, which sat at the Rosner showroom, its tires still wet from being detailed.

"I love it," Kinard said. "I feel like a 15-year-old."

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs paid $11,000 toward the cost of the vehicle and the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund paid the rest.

Semper Fi provides financial assistance to injured Marines, sailors and their families.

Toyota salesman T.J. Pettigrew explained the car's features to Kinard.

It's modifications include a black knob attached to the steering wheel, which is for accelerating and braking.

The charcoal gray SUV is a limited edition vehicle that comes with a navigation system, heated seats, a sunroof and Bluetooth and MP3 adapters.

A former service member, Pettigrew tried to have the car ready for Veterans Day, but he said the installation center in Richmond was booked up.

"I've been working very hard on this," he said. "I just wanted to be a part of it.

A South Carolina native, Kinard lives at Walter Reed Army Medical Center where he is receiving physical therapy.

He works at the Pentagon, but said he sometimes waits up to an hour for a shuttle bus to the Metro station.

Now he can simply drive to the station.

"This car is going to help me a lot," Kinard said.

Since it launched in May 2004, the Semper Fi Fund has dispensed more than $15 million in grants to Marines, sailors and their families.

Mary Beth Gass, a Semper Fi volunteer case worker, said a new vehicle can help injured service members re-establish some normalcy in their lives.

"It helps them regain their independence," she said.

semperfifund.org Kafia Hosh: 540/735-1977
Email: khosh@freelancestar.com

Ellie