PDA

View Full Version : Elected official refuses Pledge

thedrifter
04-06-03, 11:37 PM
Elected official refuses Pledge
Selectman: 'Every time I see the flag, I can picture George Bush wearing it as a toga'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 6, 2003
10:31 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

A town official in a Boston suburb opposed to the war in Iraq has created a local uproar by refusing to give the Pledge of Allegiance at a recent meeting of elected officials.

Selectman Regina Burke of Hull, Mass., sat through the Pledge last week, angering some residents and fellow boardmembers.

"It's a disgrace,'' Selectman Leonard Hersch told the Patriot-Ledger of Quincy. "You don't do that when you're sitting as a selectman.''

According to the paper, Burke said during the meeting that she supports American troops in action, just not the decision by President Bush to use military force.
"Every time I see the flag, I can picture George Bush wearing it as a toga, and I don't know what it stands for anymore other than for his particular financial group and followers,'' Burke said when she announced that she would not stand for the Pledge.

Burke reportedly referred to the Bush presidency as "illegitimate," claiming Bush is using the executive office to line the pockets of "big business."

While several town officials affirmed Burke's right to free speech, they objected to her using the meeting of selectmen as a forum for her personal opinions.

"It was an improper use of her position,'' Richard Cleverly, a former member of the town's war-memorial commission told the Patriot-Ledger. "She has a right to say it, but not when she's representing the people of the town.''

"I don't approve of her decision," said Selectman Jerry McLaughlin, an Army veteran. "But I will defend hers and anyone else's right in a free society to make their own decisions and feel free from persecution.''

However McLaughlin disagreed with Burke about the meaning of the U.S. flag.

"It doesn't represent one policy or one president," he told the paper. "It represents 280 million Americans.''

Selectman Thomas Burns expressed concern that people are taking Burke's comments out of context, saying her actions were in protest of the president's policies, not to show disrespect for the sacrifices of the nation's Armed Forces.

"She's a good person, but her timing was not the best, because this is going to be misinterpreted,'' Burns told the paper. "It's an unfortunate event to come at this stage.''

http://hullma.virtualtownhall.net/Public_Documents/hullma_select/selectmen

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
04-07-03, 12:51 AM
This issue, regarding the rights of "free speech" is beginning to **** me off. Not because of what has been said, but because of what has been forgotten.

Free speech is the right of ANY individual, speaking AS AN INDIVIDUAL!

The minute you use a title to lend credence to your views, you are NOT speaking as an individual, but are expressing the viewpoint of those you represent.

A K-Mart manager speaks for the policy of his store, an elected official speaks for the people who elected him, a church leader speaks on behalf of his followers.

If anyone's personal opinion is in conflict with the opinion of those who are represented by their title; Yes, they have a right to express their personal opinion, but NOT in a forum where their "title" is recognized and they are considered as speaking for their "group".

In THIS forum everyone knows that firstsgtmike does NOT speak for the Marine Corps. My thoughts, my ideas are personal and open to debate. And the debater's rank, position, or title has NOTHING to do with the validity of the arguments.

Private or President, if I am wrong, I stand corrected, and bow to your superior logic.

More to the point: I write many letters to editors, and to discussion forums. My name is Mike Farrell, and this is my argument. I MAY say that I am a Marine, if military experience is important to the discussion. I MAY say that I am retired, if maturity adds to the evaluation.

(If someone says "in my experience", it's nice to know if they are 16 or 66.)

Anyone using a position or title when exercising their right to free speech should remember that this is an "individual" right, and UNLESS they are speaking for EVERY member of their constituancy, they are speaking as individuals.

If an elected someone who represents ME is not expressing MY views, then I have been denied MY rights to have MY views expressed in a similar forum.

Bottom line? Unless, elected official, you are speakin for ME, then let it be known that you have abrogated your responsibility to me and you are speaking for yourself. Because you never asked me what I thought and what I felt on the issue.