PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Marine receives the Bronze Star

thedrifter
11-19-07, 08:57 AM
www.capitalnews9.com

Fallen Marine receives the Bronze Star
Updated: 11/18/2007 8:24:58 PM
By: Curtis Schick

DELMAR, N.Y. -- "It hurts everyday. I know it's not going to stop," said Dawn Martin, Sgt. Shawn Martin's mother.

No one can imagine the pain the family of Marine Sgt. Shawn Martin goes through. The 30-year-old was killed by an improvised explosive device while serving in Iraq in June, just 8 days after he arrived.

"I think he was destined to be a Marine, to be there for other people. It's just unfortunate the way it ended," said Dawn Martin.

"He loved his family and loved all his friends. It's a huge, huge loss. We miss him every single day," said sister Nicolle Martin.

His mother Dawn choked back tears as she spoke of her son. She said Shawn loved being a Marine and knew that this was what he should be doing. Martin was in Iraq with the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit. He was called to the scene of an attack near Baghdad. His team helped successfully detonate one IED and were examining the crater left behind. A second IED exploded and killed him instantly.

"Everyday you are scared for your children. Everyday you try to get through it and then all the sudden it’s gone," said Dawn Martin.

At a ceremony at the Elsmere Fire Department, where he was a volunteer fire fighter, Martin was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star for bravery in battle.

"His sacrifice must certainly meant that other Marines and soldiers lived that day for that sacrifice we honor him," said Major Tommy Wright, United States Marine Corps

Martin's young niece Kira was at the ceremony and calls him her bald headed prince charming.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-19-07, 09:55 AM
Family Accepts Bronze Star for Delmar Marine Killed in Iraq Reported by: Walt McClure
Email: waltmcclure@fox23news.com
Last Update: 11/18 9:42 pm

A local Marine who gave his life while serving in Iraq was honored by the corps Sunday.

Sgt. Shawn Martin was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star medal with valor device for his combat heroism.

The 30-year-old Martin was killed in action by a roadside bomb back in June,

His parents received their son's medal at a ceremony at the Elsmere Fire House -- where Martin served as a volunteer firefighter for several years before he joined the military.

Dawn Martin/Shawn Martin’s Mother: “It hurts every day and I know that it's never going to stop, but I know that Shawn is there for us and he was so good to everybody that now we just need to be good to him and be supportive to the rest of the troops.”

Martin was a 1995 graduate of Bethlehem High who had been in the Marines for seven years before his death.

Ellie