PDA

View Full Version : Local Mom Brings Christmas to Marines in Iraq

thedrifter
11-18-07, 06:15 AM
Local Mom Brings Christmas to Marines in Iraq
By Sarah Bloomquist

November 17, 2007 - Some Christmas cheer is headed to the troops in Iraq thanks to a local mom and her organization.

The cafeteria at Upper Moreland Intermediate School looked like Santa's workshop today. Patty Lewis and her organization, Mom 4 R Marines, spent the entire day assembling Christmas stockings, a special delivery to marines stationed overseas - some of them for the second Christmas in a row.

"This is the second year. My son got out in October, I knew I couldn't let my marines down," says Patty.

Parents and friends of marines serving in Iraq manned the production lines today. They stuffed the stockings with all sorts of surprises: socks and cigars, playing cards, and handheld games. Last year the marine's battalion commander was in Iraq and dressed up like Santa to deliver the stockings to the front lines.

Lt. Col. Todd Desgrosseilliers tells us, "I think it really meant a lot to them. It was something that was genuine. Something real and from people back here in america. It really meant a lot to the men."

Bernice Koprince's son, Lance Corporal William Koprince, was killed by an IED in Iraq two days after Christmas last year. The last time she heard from him he told her how much the stocking meant. "It was the last email I got from my son. It was on this very subject. He had received his stocking and he had opened it," said Bernice.

As wonderful and fulfilling as the project is, those behind the operation would rather have the marines spend Christmas with them here at home. But until then, they'll keep sending this Christmas surprise in a stocking to the men and women they love so much now serving their country in Iraq.

Ellie