PDA

View Full Version : Behind enemy lines: Staihr reflects on World War II

thedrifter
11-15-07, 01:46 PM
Behind enemy lines: Staihr reflects on World War II
Thursday, November 15, 2007
By Justin Messner - Nevada Daily Mail

http://www.nevadadailymail.com/photos/11/12/46/1112469-L.jpg

Richard Staihr, Nevada, with his unit, gathered around a Christmas tree in 1943. --submitted photo

Eighty-six-year-old Richard Staihr, Nevada, is a former U.S. Marine who considers himself fortunate to have both participated in and survived the World War II.

Beginning his military career as a map maker in 1940, Staihr used his knowledge to map out the West Coast and provide detailed plans, making it possible to build military defenses. "There were no defensive bases on the West Coast back then," said Staihr, "Point De Loma was the only place were they had an army outfit that could do any defending."

Realizing that there were no maps of American Samoa, either, the Marine Corps sent Staihr to make charts of the area, so an American airport could be built on the island.

While in American Samoa, Staihr was enlisted into the short-lived, Marine Raiders 3rd Battalion. Formed solely for World War II, the Raiders were made up of four units and used in many front line combat operations, including battles at Guadalcanal.

Staihr's position with the Raiders included intelligence operations. Staihr explained that this was not the CIA-style intelligence thought of today, but actually infiltrating an enemy base and reporting what was seen back to a commanding officer. Matter-of-factly, he recounted the process they'd often use at the time. Many times he stood on enemy ground even before front-line soldiers. "We would find a high place or something like that to watch what they were doing, then report it back to a squad captain," said Staihr.

While positive about most of his experiences in the service, Staihr did recall things that were upsetting. "People don't know but they would put us on an island and forget us, and I do mean forget us," he said. Then there was the paycheck. He said "I made $19.80 a month as a private in the Marines."

Following a promotion to Gunnery Sergeant, Staihr was sent back to the United States after 30 months of fighting abroad. Once returned he became an important part in the creation of Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

With a military career lasting from 1940 to 1947, Staihr explained that his reason for leaving the service came the same way it did for many other soldiers of that time -- in the form of a woman. Staihr said "I was gonna stay but I met this girl and she talked me out of it, and we got married." During the last six months of Staihr's enlistment, fellow Marine Anna Mary Yorken became Anna Mary Staihr.

Richard and Anna returned to Independence, Mo., where they lived for many years following the war. Around 12 years ago after Anna Mary died, Richard made his way from Independence to Nevada.

Staihr spends most of his spare time now playing golf and square dancing.

No amateur at either avocation, Staihr is an exceptionally accomplished golfer. He recently shot an 84 at Frank E. Peters golf course, then followed it up a couple days later with his second hole-in-one.

Staihr said he does not care for war and felt like many are fought for the wrong reasons. He felt differently, though, about the battles he was involved with. He said "I think World War II was a necessity. They were after us."

Ellie