PDA

View Full Version : 3rd MAW brothers honored in parade

thedrifter
11-15-07, 01:24 PM
MURRIETA, Calif. -- Thousands of spectators, including veterans from World War II and Operation Iraqi Freedom, waved American flags and dressed in red, white and blue, stood on the sidewalks of Washington Street in old town Murrieta, Calif., to view the town’s Fifth Annual Veteran’s Day Parade, Sunday.

Lance Corporals Jacob and William Sykes, natives of Hemet, Calif., were asked to celebrate Veteran’s Day, by serving as Honorary Grand Marshals of the city’s Fifth Annual Veteran’s Day Parade.

According to parade coordinator Annette Jennings, the Marines were selected by the local Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Winchester, Calif., because of their historic tie to the town as well as their service as U.S. Marines.

The Sykes family heritage and historic background with the town can be traced back to the Sykes Ranch, which was established in 1904 by Amos Sykes.

“This is the first time anyone from the Sykes family has been asked to be a Grand Marshal in the Veteran’s Day parade,” said Jennings. “The family has a lot of history with the town and in the military.”

The two Marines traveled down Washington Street in a woody style 1935 Ford station wagon waving and smiling at the spectators.

Jacob, the older and smaller brother, is an ordnance technician with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 465, dressed in his Dress Blue Alpha uniform.

Jacob deployed twice in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“It was exciting to see some of my old friends waving to me and my brother while we were in the car waving to the crowd,” said Jacob. “It makes me proud of my name, and I know a little bit more about where I come from.”

William, who is a reservist with Marine Air Support Squadron 6, Marine Aircraft Group 46, 4th Marine Aircraft Wing, recently returned from a tour in Djibouti, Africa.

The faces of the Marines’ parents, Joe and Linda, lit up with pride and joy as the young men rode down waving to the people of Murrieta.

“I can trace back the family’s history back to almost the Revolutionary War in the 1800s,” said Joe, a former Marine and Vietnam veteran. “To see my boys in their uniforms and back from their deployments brings nothing but pride to the family.”

Everyone in the Sykes family who attended the parade could not be more proud of Jacob and William for what they did for the town in the parade and what they do to protect this country.

Linda, the Marines’ mother said in a voice stricken with emotion, “Veteran’s Day isn’t just about celebrating our fallen heroes and past heroes, it’s about honoring the men and women who continue to make sacrifices to ensure our freedom.”