PDA

View Full Version : Town protests mayor's ban on yellow ribbons

thedrifter
04-06-03, 06:52 AM
ON THE HOME FRONT
Town protests mayor's ban on yellow ribbons
Marchers hit streets to tack emblems on cars, buildings, trees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 5, 2003
7:10 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Folks in Fieldsboro, N.J., waved American flags, shouted patriotic slogans and sang songs while hitting the streets this afternoon to protest the Democrat council's decision to ban yellow ribbons on municipal property.

Led by Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa, about 100 marchers tacked ribbons to trees and to the front door of the building that serves as town hall for the borough's 522 residents, according to the Associated Press.

The crowd cheered when Sliwa stuck a big yellow bow onto the hood ornament of the mayor's Lincoln.

The decision to ban the ribbons was supported by Mayor Edward ''Buddy'' Tyler, but caused an uproar with residents who want to honor U.S. troops fighting in Iraq. Many residents have called for the mayor's resignation.

One protester was spotted wearing a Saddam Hussein mask while carrying a sign that read: ''Mayor Tyler is my buddy.''

The mayor remained upstairs in his second-floor office during the rally.

''It's their right'' to protest the decision, Tyler said. ''We do not allow anything on government property without permission from the governing body.''

The controversy began when borough resident Diane Johnson placed one dinner-plate-sized ribbon on the town's official welcome sign and one on a nearby tree, as WorldNetDaily reported.

Said Johnson, "They were made of all-weather ribbon, and they looked really nice. They didn't obstruct the sign in any way, and a lot of people with family members in the war came into the store to tell me how seeing the ribbons gave them a lift."

Johnson then got a mayoral directive delivered by a township maintenance man: "Take down the ribbons, or I'll do it for you."

"I didn't want to get fined, so I took them down," Johnson told the paper. "There are mothers in town who have sons over there. You think [the mayor would] be a little bit sensitive to them."

Four of the council members voted unanimously to force Johnson to remove the ribbons after the mayor reportedly received one complaint.

Sempers,

Roger

GunnerMike
04-06-03, 07:46 AM
Perhaps this Mayor should take notice of the backlash that has been felt by those in the entertainment industry. I think there might be some new faces in the Mayor's office and Council offices. The American public is mad as hell and is not going to take it anymore.
Now, if we could only get California voters to re-think their positions of Pelosi, Boxer, and Feinstein (The New Three Stooges)

:banana:

MillRatUSMC
04-06-03, 09:09 AM
Is there a full moon out there?
We allow assistance professor Nickolas De Genova and his kind to walk in the street and make speech calling for the deaths of American in our arm forces in the universities of this nation.
All of those are public places.
Movies stars make noises for the enemy in Iraq.
In or about public places.
But some would deny place signs of support for the American military.
I think that the mayor was looking for the arab vote.
Forgetting the majority.
It's insanity on the part of the mayor.
I read that they got one complain so they called for the removal of those ribbons.
I wish that they would be as fast when we complain because of lack of medical care by the VA.
We're called to make co-payments and deductibles for illnesses that we incurred while in the service to the nation.
Now there calling for a reduction of funding for the VA when this war is done, the VA will be swamped by new veterans seeking treatment for illnesses and injuries incurred while serving in Iraqi Freedom.
It's an insanity...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

GunnerMike
04-06-03, 11:45 AM
Ricardo,
I think that the real motto of VA is held in close-hold and need to know only. The motto I am speaking of is, "Nothing is too good for our Veterans and we make sure that they get exactly that!"

virwar
04-06-03, 08:50 PM
I imagine that the people will protest the mayor and his cronies, come next election. Just my not so humble opinion. God Bless and Semper Fi. Dave.