PDA

View Full Version : United States Marine Corps - A Distinguished History

thedrifter
11-15-07, 07:24 AM
United States Marine Corps - A Distinguished History
BY CONNIE HARSHMAN

HERALD DEMOCRAT

http://images.townnews.com/heralddemocrat.com/content/articles/2007/11/15/life/doc4734db19c6d80586667221.jpg

They’re called Devil Dogs, Jarheads, and Leathernecks. No matter what you call them, just give them a call and offer thanks for serving, as Saturday marks the 237th birthday of the United States Marine Corps.

Almost a year older than the United States, the Marine Corps has an equally long and distinguished history. No other branch celebrates their birthday like the Marine Corps, as the military branch celebrates religiously every year across the globe on Nov. 10, with formal balls and ceremonies.

The celebrations were formalized by Commandant Lemuel C. Shepherd in 1952, outlining the cake ceremony. By tradition, the first slice of cake is given to the oldest Marine present, and the second to the youngest.

“The passing of the cake symbolizes the passing of information to the younger generation,” said former Marine Barry Stephens, of Sherman, who runs the local Toys for Tots program.

The celebration also includes a reading of Marine Corps Order 47, Commandant John Lejeune's birthday message. Lejeune was the 13th commandant of the Marine Corps.

The message states that in every battle and skirmish since the birth of our corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term “Marine” has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

“The Marine Corps has the toughest bootcamp in the United States ... they take you in as a young man, they beat you down to a baby, then they raise you up to be a Marine,” Stephens said. “It’s the most successful brainwashing known to man. And, it’s very effective.”

Stephens said the phrase “Once a Marine always a Marine” is felt by all “true” Marines.

“Every once in a while, you will find a Marine that is just not a Marine anymore — but they just didn’t get it,” he said. Former Marine Terry Dyer, of Sherman, said the Marine Corps training is rigid, highly disciplined and has emphasis on ending the life of adversaries with swift confidence.

“The Marine Corps grunt has the highest status among peers because his everyday job is on the front line killing the enemy,” he said.

Sherman resident Jerry Lover, commandant of the Marine Corps League detachment, has been in two branches of the U.S military. Lover left the Marines after four years of service, but re-enlisted in the Army and retired as a major after 16 years. “It was during the time of Vietnam, so I felt like I should use the skills that I had,” Lover said. “The Corps teaches you limits and it makes you realize your potential. They break you down, and when you think you can’t go anymore, they make you go. It’s just like anything, when you do it a second time, it’s not as hard.”

After more than 20 years of being out of the Marine Corps, Lover said he will always consider himself a Marine. “I don’t know why, it’s just something they drill into you. Not only do they teach you your limitations, they teach you the history of the corps,” Lover said. “The Army did teach their history, but it wasn’t in the same vein. It is not as instilled in you as being that important. On day one you start studying the Marine Corps.”

Some of the Marine Corps serves as an amphibious force-in-readiness. It has three primary areas of responsibility as outlined in the United States Code:

* The seizure or defense of advanced naval bases and other land operations to support naval campaigns;

* The development of tactics, technique, and equipment used by amphibious landing forces;

* Any other duties as the President may direct.

The common thread of these areas are that they are of an expeditionary nature, using the mobility of the Navy to provide timely intervention in foreign affairs on behalf of American interest. “Where once we were an amphibious organization, now we can pretty much do anything land, sea, or air,” said Sgt. Shawn Hicks, Marine Corps recruiter. “And we are always the first ones in the fight.”

The Marine Corps is the smallest armed forces branch in the Department of Defense, with 189,000 enlisted men and women. When it was formed, the Marine Corps was composed of infantry serving aboard naval vessels and was responsible for the security of the ship and her crew by conducting combat during boarding actions. President Thomas Jefferson dubbed the Marine Band the “President's Own” for its role of providing music for state functions at the White House.

In addition, the Marines guard presidential retreats, including Camp David, and the Marines of the Executive Flight Detachment of HMX-1 provide VIP helicopter transport to the president and vice president, using the call signs “Marine One” (when the president is aboard) and “Marine Two” (when the vice president is aboard). By authority of the 1946 Foreign Service Act, the Marine security guards of the Marine Embassy Security Command provide security for American embassies, legations, and consulates at over 110 state Department posts overseas.

“There is a story about the dress blues of the Marine Corps.” Stephens continued, “When God created the Earth he said ‘I need somebody to guard this land — the United States — so I’m going to create an Army.’ And then he said ‘OK, I need somebody to guard these shores around the United States, so I’ll create a Navy.’ Then he said, ‘Well, I need somebody to guard the air space, so I’m going to create an Air Force. Then on top of that, I’ll create the Marine Corps, who will guard the air, the land and the sea shores all at once.’ After the commander general of the Marine Corps decided on the dress blues, God called him a couple of days later. He said, ‘Boy, that is the most beautiful uniform that I’ve ever seen. Can I get one?’ The answer was ‘God, not just anyone can be a Marine.’”

Ellie