PDA

View Full Version : Marines ready again for Iraq

thedrifter
11-14-07, 08:09 AM
Marines ready again for Iraq
Wednesday, November 14, 2007

By Mary Fortune
Staff Writer

When Marine Reserve Cpl. Carson Orton leaves for training next month before deploying to the Middle East, he will be surrounded by familiar faces.

"There will be a lot of the same camaraderie," said Cpl. Orton, who served with the Chattanooga-based Mike Battery in Iraq in 2004 and 2005. "Everybody's real familiar with everybody."

Cpl. Orton, 23, was one of 153 Mike Battery Marines who returned in 2005 from Iraq, where they fought in the weeks-long battle for the city of Fallujah. In December, about 150 Marines will leave for training before their next deployment, though it's not clear yet where they will end up.

"All we know is they'll end up in the Middle East," said Gunnery Sgt. Jason Foster.

Roughly 20 percent of the group leaving in December was deployed in 2004 for the Mike Battery's stint outside of Fallujah. And a handful leaving again just returned in April from another trip to Iraq, Lt. Joshua Mills said.

"Those are all on a volunteer basis," he said.

Cpl. Jeffrey Ruark, 22, withdrew from Bryan College in Dayton, Tenn., to volunteer for this deployment, though he returned from Iraq seven months ago. During his last deployment, the Mike Battery Marines were divided among other units and didn't get to serve together, Cpl. Ruark said.

"I wanted to go with my own family, guys I know and I'm friends with," he said.

Though he knows the deployment will be challenging, leaving for a second time means he has some idea what to expect, Cpl. Ruark said.

"I'm not saying it's going to be easier. Every time there's always a threat," he said. "But now, knowing what to expect during training, knowing what to expect while being over there ... I don't have the initial fear like I did two years ago."

Sgt. Daniel Speal, who got married in August, said he is ready for a second deployment after his service outside Fallujah in 2004 and 2005.

"I'm ready to go back. It's what we signed up to do," said Sgt. Speal, 23. "Last time I was a lot more nervous because I didn't know what to expect. Now I'm more senior -- I know a little more what's going on."

Though the Marines don't officially begin active duty until next month, Sgt. Speal is one of 15 who volunteered to start working early because he lives in Chattanooga while many of his comrades have to commute from Nashville or Atlanta.

Lt. Mills said those on duty now are preparing equipment and getting everything in order for the coming mission.

The rest of the group will report for active duty on Dec. 3 and leave that week for training at Fort Campbell, Ky. After a holiday break at the end of December, the Marines will leave in January for months of training in California before they deploy.

Though it's difficult to leave family -- particularly his wife of just a few months -- knowing he is supported by friends and loved ones at home makes "all the difference in the world," Sgt. Speal said.

"When I first told them they were all pretty upset, but they stand behind the unit," he said. "That is such a big motivation to make sure you return home."

TOY DRIVE AFFECTED
Gunnery Sgt. Foster, who coordinates the Marines' Toys for Tots program here, said the absence of most of the unit during the month of December will hobble the charity toy drive.

Last year, the program reached about 20,000 needy children in the region, raising $40,000 to buy gifts and collecting 7,000 new toys, records show. Usually, uniformed Marines stand at donation points accepting cash and toys.

"Most people give because we're there in uniform, because they see us," he said.

This year Gunnery Sgt. Foster said he has had to hire civilians to work donation points, though he will count on the Marines who still will be around through Thanksgiving to help. After that, though, he'll have to get creative.

"We need help, especially this year," he said. "Our Marines account for 90 percent of the toys and money raised, and they're leaving."

Lance Cpl. Matthew Camp served in Iraq with Mike Battery in 2004 and 2005. The Marines found out in September they'd be leaving again, he said, and those who have volunteered to help get the unit ready for deployment have been working at the armory for the past week.

A business management major at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Lance Cpl. Camp said he doesn't mind leaving school behind to serve again.

"I'm looking forward to it, actually," he said. "I enjoy the job."

The Marines are expected to serve 400 days on active duty, including training, which means they'll spend about six months deployed, Gunnery Sgt. Foster said. They are expected to return in the fall of 2008.

Cpl. Orton's wife, Jackie, 26, said she worries most about the effect her husband's absence will have on their 4-year-old son. And this time they also have a 3-month-old son who will be more than a year old by the time his father is scheduled to return.

"It's just hard," Mrs. Orton said. "But I've got a lot of family here."

Cpl. Orton, who works at Owen Cyclery in Hixson, said he is keeping a positive attitude about the deployment because there is no option.

"I don't have a choice, so I might as well try to have a good attitude about it," he said. "You've got to take them as you get them."

E-mail Mary Fortune at mfortune@timesfreepress.com

Ellie