PDA

View Full Version : Question about my fiance's deployment..help!

Dashboard5
11-14-07, 01:25 AM
First off I just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you for taking th etime to read this. It's my first post and I'm not really sure what to say besides that so I'll get to the point of my question.

My fiance has been in the Marine Reserves for 4 1/2 years and has deployed once already. We'll be getting married next August but the January after that his reserve unit is "slated" to be deployed. My question is this, does he have to deploy with his unit when his contract will be up while he's overseas? He'll be activeated in Jan. 09 and his contract is up in Aug 09. I've asked him about it and he doesn't know. His feelings on it is if he goes he goes, if he doens't he doesn't....I'm just wondering if he would have a choice because of his contract being up while he's over there. What happens to him if he does go? I've research it and cant find anything...I know the USMC isn't using stop-loss anymore, does that mean he wouldn't have to go and be dropped to the IRR early?

Please dont get the wrong impression of me...I will support him no matter what, and I know there are thousands of families out there with family overseas, I'm just wondering if there is a chance he wont go.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-14-07, 04:51 AM
There are several choices here. Any one of these could happen. <br />
<br />
He'll be officially advised of his EAS (identified long prior to the deployment) and asked to re-enlist for the deployment. <br />

Phantom Blooper
11-14-07, 05:46 AM
I may be remiss in saying this but if he goes on deployment with the unit he may be involuntarily extended until the duration of the deployment and then may be sent back on the advance party on the return to CONUS to be processed out.It was my experience if the Marine or MOS was needed for TO or accomplish the mission he stayed. I known this to happen before. But the information Sgt Leprechaun gave maybe accurate.:evilgrin:

Dashboard5
11-17-07, 07:40 AM
I really do appriciate some answers from you guys, his fellow Marines and brothers. I've been goin nuts tryin to find a straight answer from anyone and I never got it.

Thank you again and god bless you all, being engaged to a Marine isn't easy but I wouldn't have it any other way!

:flag:

davblay
11-17-07, 10:05 AM
I really do appriciate some answers from you guys, his fellow Marines and brothers. I've been goin nuts tryin to find a straight answer from anyone and I never got it.

Thank you again and god bless you all, being engaged to a Marine isn't easy but I wouldn't have it any other way!

:flag:

The straight answer is....there is no straight answer! There will be a lot of "what ifs" and "maybe's" of course there's always that one we all love, "wait and see". There are to many factors that we are not aware of, pertaining to his particular unit. How important his MOS will be during the deployment, etc.. If he is approaching his end of duty obligation, then that tells me he has a lot of experience in his MOS, experiencee that some Boot won't have. Like I say...way to many factors for a straight answer, these are always handled on a one on one, as they arise. No book procedure to go by! But rest assured, the right thing will be done when the time comes.